Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a bit new to civilized life

I'm 17, and I live in West Virginia.  I used to live deep in the mountains with my family, my home being far away from any kind of civilisation.  I never went to school, and my only source of education were the few books we had lying around.  I taught myself to read and write from the Bible, Moby Dick, and Of Mice and Men.  The hillbilly lifestyle is a very active one, and I was in better shape than most people could ever dream about.  We took a lot of inspiration from the American Indians, and so we used a great many of their methods and told a lot of their tales.  

When I was 15 the law came and took me and my siblings away from our people, separated us and put us into foster care.  The loss of my home and family caused me to have severe depression, which I cope with even today.  I am lucky to have found my way into a good home, with good people, who encourage me to excel academically (I'm at the top of my junior class).  But, my lifestyle since leaving home has been less than healthy; my muscles have deteriorated, and I've put on quite a bit of weight.  I hope to get back into shape soon.  

An Indian story that I've been thinking about lately: An Indian youth was disappointed in his lack of strength, believing his weakness to displease the spirits.  So he begs the spirits to give him great strength.  The spirits tell him to climb to the top of the mountain, and he will find a boulder there.  The told him that they would grant him the strength he desires if he can push the boulder off of the mountain.  So every day for like, a year, he climbs the mountain, and pushes with everything he has to try to dislodge the boulder.  Then one day he cries to the spirits, "I cannot dislodge the boulder, why have you given me such an impossible task?"  To which the spirits reply, "But in pushing the boulder, you have given yourself great strength."

• Like 3

Welcome on board.  I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult episode in your young life, it must be awful to be wrenched away from your family like that.  Every cloud has it's silver lining though and you seem a very bright, intelligent person and it's good that you have now got the opportunity to get a real education.  I hope that you are able to do wonderful things in your life

Have you found your way around the forum alright?  Is there anything that we can help you with?  Most people take part in the 4 Week Challenges, the next one starts on the 12th if you're interested?

Guzzi

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Welcome to you Azure_Storm. I love the name you've chosen. While I didn't have the same childhood experience as you exactly, I did spend my first five years living high in the mountains. My parents worked for the Forest Service and came down only a few times a year for supplies. As an only child at the time, I was allowed to run amok and my friends were the trees and rocks and flowers. I truly believe my love of nature and the peace I feel there was soundly imprinted then. And there's a lot of good in the old lore. When I stumbled into a ground wasp nest and was stung 100's of times, I would have died had it not been for this prospector that came along with his burro piled high with packs. He pulled out a bottle of whiskey and mixed it with dirt and slathered the mud all over me. The alcohol mud pack pulled out enough of the wasp venom that I lived. One of the neat things I imagine you learned in the mountains is that life has cycles and seasons. Where some of us struggle with the process, you innately know that with time you can make any changes to your life that you want. Living in the mountains was another type of civilization and a good one. Good luck and I'm excited for you.

White Cedar

Welcome @Azure_Storm. What an excellent and inspiring story of the young Native American boy. I am from West Virginia, as well, and I have some Cherokee ancestry, so that story really resonated. If it's one thing I know it is that West Virginians are strong and we survive the stereotypes as well as the realities of Appalachian life. I celebrate your courage and your will to improve yourself while still honoring your past and how it has impacted you.

The good news is that you get to create the person you want to be. Sure, our environment and the things that happen to us have an impact on us, as well, but we can control how they impact us: do they defeat us or do we overcome them? You seem like an overcomer to me. Keep strong, make decisions every day to become the person you want to be. To use your story: climb that mountain and push that boulder every day.

Welcome to the Rebellion.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b