Forums are back in action! ×

Hi All,

(Atlantic)White Cedar is a tree that resists decay and weathers to a beautiful silver gray as it ages. It stands up to the harshest elements and warps very little during seasoning.  Age wise, my body is 69, my emotional heart is 120 and my personality is 32. I’m a mom/wife who has been a teacher, trainer, speaker, reporter, resort manager, business consultant, nanny, dishwasher, writer, accountant, auditor, and on and on. The last 20 years I’ve worked with people with disabilities to help them figure out what kind of employment they can do and will enjoy. This was highly emotional, challenging, draining and rewarding work. It also required driving about 800 miles a week; writing 70,000 words a month in reports, case notes and recommendations; and working 60 hours a week against deadlines. I maintained the pace by consuming lots of caffeine, sugar, fats and carbs. When I retired last year, I weighed 233 pounds on a 5’ 7” frame (I’ve shrunk 2.5 inches – arrrgghh!). The first thing I did after retiring was take a 10,000 mile drive around the United States visiting family and checking out sites I wanted to see. I ate lots of junk as I rambled about, using the excuse “Well, I’m taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip so I deserve this.” The highlight of the trip was spending time with my only sibling and younger brother that I had not seen in 14 years; we were constantly in touch and up-to-date but geographically it had been difficult to get together. When I got home from my meandering, I weighed 227 pounds and what limited fitness I had before the trip had seeped away with the miles spent in the driver’s seat. I made a half-hearted attempt to lose weight and got down to 214. Then my brother passed away unexpectedly from a massive heart attack. The loss is incalculable on many levels and I still grieve. His death was also a wake-up call. I have many things I still want to do in life and I want the capacity to do them; I will be really pissed if I die before I get to do it all.

The four mixed blessings that affect my life the most are adult ADHD; a lifestyle of putting others’ needs and wants before my own; fear of asking for help; and chronic physical conditions, some of which can be improved but not eliminated by weight loss/fitness. To my benefit, I’m a good cook, I’m knowledgeable about nutrition, and I grow our own veggies.

My major remaining life goals:

1. Weigh 135 to 140 pounds and wear a size 6-8. I’m presently a size 20-22.

2. Set a US record for women’s senior shot put in my age division.  Shot putting requires agility, strength, balance, coordination and speed – all things that support good aging. I have gold and silver medals from the Junior Olympics and this feels like a fun thing to do – sort of bookending my life with it.

3. Race in the amateur division of the Baja 500 – I love driving that requires quick reflexes and this race also requires good fitness

4. Climb Mt. Whitney

5. Hike the Pacific Crest Trail from the Columbia River to the southern end of the John Muir Trail in the High Sierras

6. Publish a New York Times best-selling book about positive trends in world issues (such as war, poverty, climate change etc.) with sub-goals related to my writing and professional speaking. Yup, really, there are hopeful, good things happening out there.

7. Create hundreds of wonderful memories with my family

All my life, I’ve been everyone else’s support system and go-to person for answers and help. While my family is supportive in an abstract way, they have many of their own serious life issues and have limited means or ability to help me.  My best friends passed away in the last few years and I’ve made no new friends. Joining the forum is a first step toward new friendships and a support system. Though I’ve never before participated in a forum, I’m “down for it” as my granddaughter would say.  

What I bring to the table is years of life experience in an amazing number of things; I’ve probably been there and done that and can offer info, insights or suggest resources. I’m supportive and encourage hopefulness and putting one foot in front of the other, no matter what.  Plan? I’m great at designing plans – chafe at sticking to them when some other goal/plan suddenly seems more exciting. For now, I’m getting moderate exercise working a couple hours a day in my garden and walking our dogs. I’m eating smaller portions with little or no sugar or other high carb foods. I love interacting with all types, sizes, shapes, colors, ages, abilities and interests. Hope to hear from you.

• Like 3

You wrote that so beautifully! Welcome to the forum :) I've been on and off this thing for years, never really committing, but I'm trying again, especially to make new friends! 

I've had trouble in the past saying no to people, and guess what? It gets easier the more you do it. I've learned over the past few months to only say yes and do things that I enjoy. 

Great job eating less carbs/sugar! Thats a really hard thing to accomplish, I struggle a lot as well. 

PS your goals are awesome :)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

I've had trouble in the past saying no to people, and guess what? It gets easier the more you do it. I've learned over the past few months to only say yes and do things that I enjoy. 

I say no and then start blathering with apologies for saying no. I have to keep reminding myself that I have a right to say no. Thanks for the warm welcome.

11 hours ago, AliceInBoulderland said:

Count me in as one of your cheerleaders.

Thanks...it's a very welcome thought that there are people out there rooting for us all to succeed!

7 hours ago, R'Arwyn said:

I love that you have associated yourself with a sturdy and quite lovely tree.

I first saw the White Cedar on a hike and there was this nice little sign explaining all about it. I laughed so hard - here was something blatantly valued for its beauty and durability as it aged - how wonderful! 

And now, my first question: How do I get my pic into my profile or bio? I've seen the place to enter one in a thread but that looks like it just goes in the body of the text. 

Cheers to all of you and thank you for responding.

12 hours ago, White Cedar said:

And now, my first question: How do I get my pic into my profile or bio? I've seen the place to enter one in a thread but that looks like it just goes in the body of the text. 

Click on your name in the top right corner, click on Profile (Image #1). Click on the small square that looks like a picture in the bottom of the circle by your name (image 2). Then follow the prompt to upload your picture (image 3).

Profile.JPG

Image.JPG

Photo.JPG

This is wonderful. I hope when I am 69 I am filled with as much hope and goodness and raw, pure honesty. Thank you for sharing this and for the story behind your name, @White Cedar. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help support you.

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Thank you R'Arwyn - I found it. Now learning to size my pic - lol - always something new to learn!

Thanks for the welcome Wolfen - your thoughts make my heart sing.

And thank you Elastigirl- I've learned that no matter what accomplishments we have, if we do not reach for the things that are important to us personally, we won't be happy. Others will not see us as failing but we will feel we have failed ourselves if we do not make the attempt. 

Cheers to you all, White Cedar

• Like 2