Rookie Keeps Showing Up

I love how dog training always makes me look crazy :P I am currently set up with my laptop on the puppies crate while sitting on a foot rest and using this as a mini desk. I am randomly rewarding when she's laying down quietly and occasionally getting up and going to the kitchen then waiting for her whining to stop. I can now get to the kitchen and go in it for a minute or so before the whining starts. And it takes a minute or so for her to settle down. Success. When I started she was screaming as soon as I walked away.  Getting in some steps and squats I guess. 

Update on cold... I can breathe through 1 nostril which is yay but the air is also drying my throat so I need water. 

Job/Coding practice... I am considering rewriting my HoofLog web app back-end in C# since that is what I want to get as a job and then maybe trying out angular to see if I have a preference between it and react.

• Like 7

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Hey everyone. Cold is 98% gone and hip is way more functional then it was. I'm not sure if I mentioned my hip did the weird painful locking thing it sometimes does. Bending was very painful for a few days. Overall I'm very much taking things day to day. I'm trying to take naps as I need them. Right now I'm doing okay all things considered. 

Monday I did groceries and we enjoyed the eclipse. Very cool! Tuesday I visited Daisy to give her a good brushing and take her blanket off because the weather was fabulous. Yesterday I had my last lesson until I get a job. It was a challenging exercise but we did amazing! I told my lesson mate that I want to keep riding with her so hopefully she reaches out and we can ride together. Like me, she currently  struggles with riding outside of lessons. 

I've been spending some time today to learn Angular (web development/job related). I'm just doing small tutorials so I can decide how I like it and if I want to rebuild HoofLog using it. 

Puppy training and socialization is going well I think. Yesterday Luna came with me to pick up Mr.R at the train station. A few days before I introduced her to the vacuum. Today we clipped her nails. Just small things here and there. I do need to spend more one on one time with Winnie but it was hard with my cold, then my hip and overall watching the puppy. Today I felt better but it's been raining all day. I'll probably do some training with her once the puppy joins Mr.R in the basement to nap while they watch hockey.  

Kind of challenge related .. I'm going to plan out some meals and try to make it so most of our meals are made at home .... For health reasons but also since I'm not bringing in any money now 😬 scary

Spoiler

PXL_20240410_194156134.thumb.jpg.ab8df3df0241b589555d20e9d330e4c9.jpg

PXL_20240408_191856229.thumb.jpg.10fc4ff0ed6c7035460b938ccfbfe328.jpg

PXL_20240408_191617782.thumb.jpg.30dc5496eb99d92327f6b0783a10859a.jpg

PXL_20240408_140030828.thumb.jpg.a9c8d79980f81e7a99feb72dee444275.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

On 4/12/2024 at 3:40 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

Great photos. We missed out on the eclipse this side of the pond. Looks amazing though

It was really cool to see. We really lucked out because all day it was super cloudy. We couldn't even see a patch of sky basically until it was eclipse time. Even then the eclipse kept going behind clouds but during totality the clouds cooperated. So thankful! 

On 4/12/2024 at 3:40 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

glad your feeling bettter

Thanks! I am getting tired of getting sick :P

• Like 3

Hey guys! I popped on here because I needed a quick brain break from my Angular tutorial. My brain started wandering a bit :P

I made my meal plan Saturday and I was planning on going shopping for it but weekend plans started happening... so we are starting it tonight. Tonights meal will be chicken tacos with slaw and guac. I still have an aversion to calorie counting so I am planning on just focusing on increasing the amount of home cooked meals and smaller portions. I know it works but I am bad at being accountable to myself. The bonus about home cooked meals is that it is cheaper than ordering food so that will make me feel better since Mr.R is currently the sole provider of our household.

I am currently waiting to hear from my mum because I was supposed to go over to her house for odd jobs in exchange for cash. But I am kind of thinking she got sidetracked and forgot. Like I mentioned above, I have been working on my Angular tutorial in the mean time so at least I am not wasting my morning. I have to say I am quite enjoying Angular but that might change once things get a bit more complicated.

The weather is so nice today, I would have liked to go to the barn for a ride but I didn't think I would have time. Yesterday was also really nice and I managed to get out for a walk and train with Winnie. We practiced our training homework and then had some fun off-leash time chasing sticks at the park. Even though it was sunny most of the day and really windy the park was still waterlogged haha. My feet are forever soaked it seems. 

Anywho thats all I got for an update. 

• Like 6

Hey Rookie, so sorry that i havent really been on here. At the beginning of the challenege i was totally out of it due to the move. And then got so far behind, it felt overwhelming. 

But i want to pop in to say you are amazing and kind and lovely and i am proud of you. One foot in front of the other Rookie ❤️ xx

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Rookie, so sorry that i havent really been on here. At the beginning of the challenege i was totally out of it due to the move. And then got so far behind, it felt overwhelming. 

But i want to pop in to say you are amazing and kind and lovely and i am proud of you. One foot in front of the other Rookie ❤️ xx

Thanks Sal ❤️ I appreciate that a lot. And totally makes sense why you were gone for a bit with the move :) life happens! You do what you gotta do to keep afloat my friend. 

• Like 2

I needed a shower badly. I finally got one and was able to wash my hair and it felt glorious. Having a puppy plus trying to sneak in little bits of time for myself and personal hygiene plus making sure the other animals are taken care of plus trying to do some studying and job stuff... It's been a bit challenging to juggle. 

I'm off to help my mom shortly. I'm hoping my feet are up to the challenge. Then when I get home I need to cut up the giant slabs of meat I got yesterday and cook dinner. I might however try to delegate that to roomy. 

Tomorrow if my lesson mate texts me I will go visit Daisy and have a ride. Before and after I'll probably be studying and cooking. 

• Like 6

Hey all, 

We have been doing alright at sticking to our meal plan. Mr.R added in a few items he wants over the weekend like a deep dish pizza and a burrito from a place nearby we haven't tried? I only know 1 place where they have that. Which it's his money so he's more than welcome to get that stuff if that is what he wants. 

I haven't seen Daisy this week but that is okay. There were only 2 nice days and I was at my parents working for both of them. I didn't feel like going on the other days because it was raining. I was supposed to go back to my parents today but that only thing she really wants done today is to start moving her donate piles out of the house but it's raining and aside from that she isn't really sure. I have learnt from past experiences that it's better just to stay home if she isn't sure about what she wants to do because then I just sit there twiddling my thumbs and waiting around for her. 

My plan today is to work on my coding projects and continuing learning Angular / applying what I have learnt to projects. 

• Like 5

I spent this weekend batch cooking for Poncho. It was faster this time but it was still painful. I'm trying to think of things I can do to make it easier. I think it would help if I got a larger more powerful food processor. And if I had an industrial mixer 😅 my feet are not happy with me. 

I need to take my car to the mechanic because it's making a weird sound. Mainly I hate driving Mr.Rs car... But also money. I hope it's nothing too serious. 

Today I'm supposed to go to my mom's house to help her clean/organize. Guys I'm exhausted 😅 but at least the puppy slept through the whole night for the first time! 

Spoiler

PXL_20240422_011024905.thumb.jpg.2b289ad56395e80bb94543cb8196f76d.jpg

This technically would only last him 2 weeks if I only fed this instead of his kibble 😶 

PXL_20240422_033824593.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.56c2f38d53bcd61149caa039e4b7ffe3.jpg

PXL_20240421_201712596.thumb.jpg.cbb94acdad8f68633587f5c6cfc798a4.jpg

PXL_20240420_190543293_MP.thumb.jpg.131676194a80e828fb8a45522d0353c4.jpg

PXL_20240420_190506152.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.520bff496cbd69ccec4e083779b1669e.jpg

PXL_20240418_141917971_MP.thumb.jpg.49c6515dc3df57d7b186b8f7d621a183.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Laghail said:

Sorry about the fatigue and congrats on the gorgeous puppy. Funny how those two always go together. Can you share your dogfood recipe?

I can message you it but keep in mind it's made for Poncho based on the kibble he eats and to accommodate 10% fat or less (pancreatic) and the fact he's a senior. 

Hey guys. Good news about my car.. It was just a heat shield! I got my oil change and I did in fact have a slow leak... Caused by a screw in my tire. 

It is very likely that tomorrow I will not be able to walk without severe pain 🥲 I spent the day walking around the big city playing tour guide to my sister and her friend. My feet are shot. 16.8k steps, 11.7kms.

I kept having these fun moments where I was painfully aware of how large I've become.  My body is begging me to try and drop some pounds to relieve the added stress. I've been circling around in my head that I need to do something drastic just to get back down to at least 250lbs but honestly that's even a huge hurdle at that's point and I know with weight-loss it's better to go slow and steady. I'm honestly surprised that none of my family has tried having a heart to heart with me about my weight. It's getting that bad. 

I am definitely feeling stuck. I need to commit to food choices but I find it so difficult. I struggle to move more because I can only do so much with my feet. 

I don't need to be all bleh but I'm just tired and frustrated at my lack of effort and progress. 

• Like 5

I have been there. Sometimes I feel like I'm still there despite my weight loss. When I was struggling with my feet I started doing chair workouts. Darebee has a few, maybe that's an option?

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

58 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

I have been there. Sometimes I feel like I'm still there despite my weight loss. When I was struggling with my feet I started doing chair workouts. Darebee has a few, maybe that's an option?

It's definitely an option. I just need to commit to actually doing it then sticking with it. Which is where I seem to be extra struggling. I have a YouTube playlist of exactly that. 

• Like 2

I found using an app really helped me. Takes much of the legwork out of the calore counting. Im using lose it right now and its working really well for me as an app. Usually i burn out on calorie counting really quickly, but its made a big difference in lowering the usual monotony level. Might be worth a go. 

Reducing how much sugar i was eating is really helping too. 
sicking with stuff is hard when you feel tired. 100% been there. I like the monthly reset ethos thing on here though. It helps when you have a bad month and need another whack at something, no pressure, no feeling bad. 

I started out trying to do one full work out a week and failed pretty fast (CFS is a bitch) so im having a go with doing small isolated sets, like in the daily challenge thread (only easier ones, becuase some of the ones they post look so intimidating. I am not made for butterfly sit ups 😆). So one day i will do just 20 jug rows (or whatever my body decides is the cut of point) and that will be it for the day. Maybe something like that would work well for you too? 

• Like 2

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

1 hour ago, Sea-to-sky said:

I found using an app really helped me. Takes much of the legwork out of the calore counting. Im using lose it right now and its working really well for me as an app. Usually i burn out on calorie counting really quickly, but its made a big difference in lowering the usual monotony level. Might be worth a go. 

I have a huge mental block when it comes to calorie counting. I did it successfully before then all of sudden my brain said nah no more. But I didn't think to try a different app. I'll look into lose it. Ive seen it recommended more and people seem to like more than MFP. 

Reducing how much sugar i was eating is really helping too. 
sticking with stuff is hard when you feel tired. 100% been there.

Funny you mention reducing sugar. I was watching candida detox / no added sugar videos last night. I am very addicted to sugar so it's an idea I'm playing with. 

Thanks it's nice to hear because it reminds me it's temporary. 

I like the monthly reset ethos thing on here though. It helps when you have a bad month and need another whack at something, no pressure, no feeling bad. 

I like it as well. I'm finding the new month used to feel so much more exciting and shiny before but I think that's just because of my life right now.  I'm hoping once I get a job a lot of things fall back into place. But it is still exciting to start a new challenge and get a fresh start .

I started out trying to do one full work out a week and failed pretty fast (CFS is a bitch) so im having a go with doing small isolated sets, like in the daily challenge thread (only easier ones, because some of the ones they post look so intimidating. I am not made for butterfly sit ups 😆). So one day i will do just 20 jug rows (or whatever my body decides is the cut of point) and that will be it for the day. Maybe something like that would work well for you too? 

I think that's a great suggestion but I feel even that might be too much for me mentally right now. I was doing okay getting out and walking more  but with me working at my mom's house, working on coding and the new puppy I'm having more trouble sorting my routine. And my feet are obviously more tired and sore than normal if I'm on them more during the day. Which is why I made a chair exercise playlist with shorter videos. They do seem more achievable at the moment. Cause I can just follow along mindlessly. 

I'm going to need to look up what butterfly sit ups are lol I can already tell you there's a strong chance that I'm also not made for them lol. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rookie said:

I have a huge mental block when it comes to calorie counting. I did it successfully before then all of sudden my brain said nah no more

Had the same issue. Had kind of burn myself out on it years ago and my brain refused to go back there

ditto with the job situation. Hope it makes your routine more set and helps you. 

Agreed. new puppy is alot of energy. It is so cute though. 
chair exercises sound like a good things to try. I think you can do yoga or Pilates or something similar in a chair too. 

the daily dare is great, but 2/3 of the posted excercises are a non starter for me at the moment. 
i have enough trouble doing the vanilla flavour of situps at the moment without adding extra arm stuff in 😆

march28.gif

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Had the same issue. Had kind of burn myself out on it years ago and my brain refused to go back there

I feel I have been like this since April 2022 maybe. I think it is worth a shot to try a different app. At this point in my journey I do need the gentle reminders to keep myself in check. 

Agreed. new puppy is alot of energy. It is so cute though. 

She is! Roomy mainly takes care of her during the day so I can focus on coding stuff or if I go to my parents to clean. Then I mostly take care of her at night it seems. And I do the middle of the night bathroom trips. Those at least are getting better. I think since Wednesday last week she's consistently only needing to go out once during the night and sometimes she's good until 5:30. 

chair exercises sound like a good things to try. I think you can do yoga or Pilates or something similar in a chair too. 

I hadn't thought to look for chair yoga or pilates. Thats a great suggestion. I will look for videos to add. I had a few "beginner movement" yoga videos but I run into issues when you need to do poses that put a lot of weight on your wrists. 

the daily dare is great, but 2/3 of the posted excercises are a non starter for me at the moment. 
i have enough trouble doing the vanilla flavour of situps at the moment without adding extra arm stuff in 😆

Hey 1/3 is still really good and it's only a matter of time until you can conquer 2/3 and then 3/3. Have you tried yoga ball crunches? Those were the most effective for me out of the gate. An old personal trainer got me to do them and at first I was like pfft easy.... too easy... how can these be effective. But effective they were. 

march28.gif

Lol my midsection feels sore just looking at this. Does that count? :P

• Like 1

I am feeling better today than I was yesterday. I was overly tired and exhausted and basically went after writing my post. I am very aware I need to make changes so I will ponder on more on that.* Feet still suck and it was super painful to get up at 3am and walk to the bathroom. But it hasn't been that bad since so I am grateful. It's not great but its just painful instead of incredibly painful :P  Its the little things. 

Today and tomorrow my plan is to rest my feet and work on my tamagotchi app. I went back to bed after dropping Mr.R off and got some much needed extra sleep. When I woke up, I went and paid my mechanic bill because I was afraid I would forgot :P because I stole my car back last night (with their permission). Later today, I will go pick up Mr.R; it sounds like they are coming back early but I have no clue when. 

*I am really playing with the idea of trying no added sugar but I have some doubts... mainly I have a little voice in the back of my head saying that's a big change and you can't even count calories.. how can you try removing added sugar from your diet when it is literally everywhere. The other little voice is saying how its going to be hard because of the foods we like to eat and it's not just me who lives here. Mr.R also needs to lose a lot of weight but I don't know if he would be down for no added sugar. I think it would be more do-able once I get into a routine of home cooking and sticking to whole foods but everything has sneaky added sugar so it would still be hard. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Hey 1/3 is still really good and it's only a matter of time until you can conquer 2/3 and then 3/3. Have you tried yoga ball crunches? Those were the most effective for me out of the gate. An old personal trainer got me to do them and at first I was like pfft easy.... too easy... how can these be effective. But effective they were. 

Good suggestion. I will google. Always looking for new things.

19 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I had a few "beginner movement" yoga videos but I run into issues when you need to do poses that put a lot of weight on your wrists

Tell me about it. I have yet to get all the way through any beginners yoga vid, regardless of length. 15mins is max for me, the instant they start doing downward dog it kills me. 

20 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I hadn't thought to look for chair yoga or pilates. Thats a great suggestion. I will look for videos to add

There are probubly other options too. I have seen chair tai chi, but sadly i have found sourcing normal thai chi vids is a complete pain let alone specialist ones. 

23 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I think it is worth a shot to try a different app

The free version of lose it was good. I found it Nice and low fuss. Worked a thousand times better than my fitbit app. 

• Like 1