Sepherina: Slow and steady wins the race

“Sepherina, tired but optimistic, eyes the valley below.  The climb over the mountain was hard but worth every step, and now only the slow slope of the side remains between her and her destination.”

At my last appointment it was noted in my chart that I was overweight. Not by much, but enough that it affects my quality of life and my movement.  And with my genetics/age/gender losing this extra isn’t easy and will require some concerted effort.  I don’t want to end up like many of the my aunts or even my mom in my family, with joint and hip problems associated with being overweight, but we also struggle to lose weight without medical intervention (pills/surgery).  Other than that and my allergies, I am in good health.  

A reminder of my 2024 goals:

Spoiler

2024 Goals

🏋️‍ Continue to get stronger both physically and mentally. I am the strongest I have ever been in my life. I want this trend to continue.  This will mean learning and exercising.

🧑‍🤝‍🧑 Nurture old and new relationships.  The biggest thing people can do to live long and happy lives is to have good solid relationships with others.  As an introvert I struggle here.  This now becomes a priority in 2024.

💵 Pay off our largest credit card.  Not an easy thing to do, but in conjunction with the goal above I will be starting a frugality thread in the clubs/guild area for those interested.

🌻 Create something beautiful every day.  This can be a simple as cleaning a space, writing a short poem, drawing something lovely or mindfully cooking a meal.  I love beautiful things, both perfect and imperfect. In my dream life I am surrounded by beauty in all forms

🏋️‍♀️The goal here is to lose 3-5 pounds over this challenge.  To do this I will be attempting to eat about 250 calories less (using MFP to track) and add in a second daily walk with Maple or another exercise (gardening) that burns between 200-250 calories.  I want to be able to lose this weight without impacting the significant gains I have made in the gym. So slow and steady here. 🐢

🧑‍🤝‍🧑 The goal here is to take time to recharge my social battery. To do this means going to bed on time and taking quiet time for myself.  Our social calendar is full.

💸 The goal: Sit down with the hubs and evaluate our finances.  We got lots of good news last week around this category.  For starters, the hubs received total student loan forgiveness (he is an Art Institute graduate).  This means that his $400+ loan payment is gone for good. We had about 8 years left to pay on it and knowing we never have to make another payment towards that crappy education/degree is a huge weight off our shoulders.  Second good news last week is the hubs has a new full time job that he starts in a few weeks.  He had almost 2 years off due to Covid, and then another year due to taking care of his dad (FTD sucks people) and then another year due to strikes in his industry.  It has been a rough 4 years financially, but there light at the end of this tunnel with a second full time income.

🌻The goal: Finish the south yard beds, declutter the mud room, declutter garage.

I have been ripping out a lot of evergreens, plastic ground covers and amending the clay soil in these beds on the south side of our house.  It has not been easy, but the goal is to have this done by early-mid June.  After which I will be dropping quite a bit of money on plants. I have a plan, but I may consider changing it up.  As for the mud room, we are having new windows installed and the largest one is in this room.  We need to clear it out of all the junk so they can access the window to replace it.  Lastly the garage was just a catch all for the prior owner for things they didn’t want.  We are going to try to get rid of some of this stuff so we can better use this space.

And because we all love her dearly.

IMG_6087.jpeg

• Like 6

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina: Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

The loss of 3 to 5 lbs is a good and reasonable goal. You got this! And I feel you re. the recharging of social batteries 😅 

Hooray for your husband's luck doing a complete 180°! I remember how much lighter I felt when I finally paid off my student loans, so that + a fulltime job should do wonders in pretty much every way.

P.S.: Plz post some garden pictures after the work is done 😆

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Ahyar Dreamspark said:

P.S.: Plz post some garden pictures after the work is done

Of course!  There are some on my last challenge.  A before and after of when we took out all the evergreen bushes and trees.

• Like 2

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Happy Thursday everyone!  

🏋️‍♀️ Yesterday was a fully planned rest day, but was really busy with company over last night.  I did track my meals and I was WAY over my calories. But then we had dinner and booze with friends. Today is back on track with food and tonight is upper body day at the gym. If the weather holds I have space to take Maple for a walk later today.

🧑‍🤝‍🧑We had friends over for dinner and nerded out over literally everything (Travel, Food, Nightclubs, Anime, D&D, etc…). Tonight we have Scum and Villiany after the gym.  I am hoping for a social break on Friday/Saturday before our D&D session on Sunday.  Being on as the DM for 3 or more hours is hard for us introverts but rewarding.

💸 Did grocery pickup at Aldi at lunch and the hubs bought a few items for the garage project he is working on.  We realized the wooden supports holding the left side up and the floor were rotted out (such is the life of older homes/properties). He has been replacing the supports as well as the section of the floor. It hasn’t been too expensive of a project yet and I am glad he was able to do the work himself and with minion #2. The garage itself is too small to park any American car in but we do use it for storing our lawn care and bikes in. 

🌻 Maple spends most Wednesdays at doggy daycare, so I have been using this day to really clean the house during my off work time. The vacuum is her nemesis and the broom deserves to die and the mop is public enemy #1.  Besides it is also just easier to get it done without her following you around, begging you to play tug of war or fetch.  Later today I hope to make stock with the large bag of scraps I have in the freezer and maybe find a good usage for some excess pie filling we had leftover from last night’s dinner.

Wishing everyone the best Thursday and I hope you have time and space to search for animals in the clouds today.

• Like 7

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you had a good time with your friends!

Friend time is the best time!

13 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Whoo! Happy to hear the good finance news. And here to follow for the 'burgh, as always!

Hello my lovely northern neighbor.  Happy to have you!

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Happy Friday everyone. A short update since work requires soo much actual focus today.   I hope it is going well for you all.

🏋️‍♀️ Last night was upper body night at the gym.  I am a bit sore after lots of benchpressing.  I also managed to squeeze in two walks with Maple.  Meals were tracked and I was under my calories as needed.  Today is a rest day outside of walks with Maple.

🧑‍🤝‍🧑 Lots of Scum and Villiany last night.  We are mid heist and really leaning hard into the RP aspect of this.  It is so nice to not be the GM all the time. Tonight we have our monthly creative meeting.

💸 Not much on this front today. 

🌻 The dishes are done and my house is mostly clean….I think I will take that as a win.  I also mulled around on some concepts for my world building and have some art I found.  I do need to put together a map or two and I would much rather do that than work the day job lol.

• Like 5

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Late but here! ❤️ 

That is fabulous news about the shift in finances. Congratulations! I hope that everything proceeds the way you want it to from here. I am giddy for you. 

Good work prioritizing your social batteries. That is important.  Hope the Creative Meet goes well! 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 5/8/2024 at 7:34 AM, Sepherina said:

For starters, the hubs received total student loan forgiveness (he is an Art Institute graduate).  This means that his $400+ loan payment is gone for good. We had about 8 years left to pay on it and knowing we never have to make another payment towards that crappy education/degree is a huge weight off our shoulders.  Second good news last week is the hubs has a new full time job that he starts in a few weeks.

This is all amazing news! Love to hear it.

• Like 1

Good luck with the 5 pounds. What is scum and villainy?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 5/10/2024 at 11:33 AM, Sovalis said:

Late but here! ❤️ 

That is fabulous news about the shift in finances. Congratulations! I hope that everything proceeds the way you want it to from here. I am giddy for you. 

Good work prioritizing your social batteries. That is important.  Hope the Creative Meet goes well! 

So happy to have you and thank you!

On 5/10/2024 at 12:57 PM, Harriet said:

Good luck with the 5 pounds. What is scum and villainy?

Thanks!  Scum and Villiany is a role playing game based on the Blades in the Dark.  It’s a lot of fun and we compare it to an RPG version of Firefly.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Not much of an update today.

🏋️‍♀️ Friday was a rest day but I did get a walk in with Maple.  Meals were tracked. I think I am coming close to shark week since I am craving all the unhealthy foods. 

🧑‍🤝‍🧑Had our monthly creative meeting last night, but feeling very tired socially.  Even the kids and the hubs annoy me today.  Trying to recharge today so I can DM tomorrow for our Eberron campaign.

💸 Did some grocery pick up so I had time to actually get some work done. Otherwise not much spending going on.

🌻 Lots of creative endeavors happening indoors since the weather has been cold and wet.  I decided to actually stop making excuses about not being able to draw and just start. And that it is okay if I am bad at it.  I can’t get better if I don’t try.  So last night I sketched out the one of the maps for the world I am building and then today I spent several hours creating a digital version of this map.   I don’t think it looks half bad for a first attempt.

Spoiler

IMG_0550.jpeg.cf89403b6d7d6759458bcce1b89251de.jpeg

Lastly because she brings me soo much joy.

IMG_6116.thumb.jpeg.4baa24b24063c28a83b1f6fff3edba11.jpeg

• Like 4

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Great map!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson