Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, New guy here. Gaining not losing, going the wrong way.

Hi, First time to this forum. Decided it’s time to lose some weight, I have never cared about it until now because I could still do everything I wanted to do, so I really don’t know much about the correct way to do this to keep the weight off. I know basics like less calories must go in more need to go out but when I try I wind up gaining 5 or 6 more lbs then when I started, so I’m going the wrong way. I just turned 60, I’m active, I walk fast about 14 blocks a day, I built a 12x12 building last week, built a 2 foot by 21-foot block retaining wall last month I do stuff like this all the time, I’m saying this because I know some people might be thinking he’s 60 let’s start with just getting him out of his chair without turning an ankle. LOL. I’m 6’ and 265lbs, I want to be 195lbs. Please help. THANKS

Hi and welcome! :) 

In case you haven't seen it yet, this page has a lot of good free resources that you can use to educate yourself on where to start: https://www.nerdfitness.com/free-resources/

As for getting you out of the chair.. you were probably in one when you typed that post, but that's completely irrelevant.You have started. You realized you need to make some changes. You decided to make those changes. You came here. So you are already moving in the right direction, and if you're not sure which path to take from here, and how to go about doing it, well... that is what the community is for. I recommend you visit the Level 1 Challenges forum and start talking to the others newcomers there. Unless I remember wrong, you're not going to be the oldest Rebel there.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI