The Great Reading Thread of 2024

Welcome to the first ever Reading Club here at Nerd Fitness! Don't let the name fool you, this is exactly the same kind of thread it has always been: Nerds who like to read can come here to talk about what they like to read, and that is it. There's nothing more special to it than that.

That said, there is a small number of rules that we respectfully ask everyone to adhere to as they post in this thread. The first and most important one is Rule Zero: Anyone who wants to join, can join at any time during the year. There is no enrollment end date, and no reading minimums or prerequisites of any kind.

The rest of the rules are as straight forward as Rule Zero is:

1. Any reading counts as reading. This means we are not required to read books. Any reading material is acceptable reading material, including but not limited to graphic novels, blogs, poetry, philosophical treatises, newspaper articles, periodicals, sheet music, and anything else anyone can think of. All reading counts as reading.
  2. Audio books count as reading. If this rule isn't self-explanatory to you, please see Rule #1.  (And if that doesn't make sense either that's fine - audiobooks still count as reading.)
  3. Everyone reads at their own pace and level. Reading goals are personal, and while we freely give and take inspiration from each other, we don't compare our goals to each other. This isn't a competition.
  4. Everyone reads for their own reasons, and every reason for reading is valid. Again, take inspiration from others, but don't compare yourself to anyone. There are as many reasons for reading as there are readers, and just as many reading goals, and that is exactly the way it should be.
  5. Enjoy the reading challenges and have fun with them! This is the most important rule, that no one should ever feel pressured to compromise on. If keeping up with your reading challenge causes more stress than it relieves, do what you need to do to restore that balance to where the reading challenge is a haven again.

And that is it. Please tag fellow readers as you come across them in your travels across the greater Nerd Fitness forum community, and feel free to enjoy and share the free reading resources below (contributed by posters in Reading Threads from previous years). :) 

image.png.8fb0539614edb90183cd4cd0a884ff8e.png

Reading Challenges:

• https://bookriot.com/read-harder-2024/ - Book Riot’s 2024 Read Harder Challenge, made up of 24 tasks (an average of two per month) that invite readers to explore formats, genres, and perspectives that might go beyond their reading comfort zones. 

Reading Resources:

• https://www.goodreads.com/ - A community site for reading. Track your reading, create wish lists, read and post reviews, and connect with other readers. Some of the regulars in this thread are active there as well. 
  • Open Library - Exactly what it sounds like: A non-profit, open source, digital public library, whose ultimate goal is to make all the published works of humankind available to everyone in the world.
  • https://thepalaceproject.org/  - Unfortunately appears to be US-only. If anyone is able to make it work in other countries, please let us know! Anyway, this app uses your zip code to give you a list of all books that have been banned where you live, and lets you borrow them and read them in the app. 

Online Bookstores:

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Joining.  I love reading as a child (I would read anything I could get my hands on).  But after spending several years not doing it I picked up the habit last year to help me not use the phone at bedtime.  Now my local library knows me by name!  So here to enjoy all the BOOKS!Read Beauty And The Beast GIF by Disney

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Welcome! Always happy to meet another library enthusiast. :) 

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Unless I remember wrong, the Great Campaign to provide All The Rewards is still ongoing, isn't it...?

I ended up setting a GoodReads challenge goal this year, but only because it makes looking up my books by year in GoodReads so easy. I'm not going to stress about whether I actually hit the goal or not, and might adjust it through the year if I start making it a thing.

I was really light on nonfiction last year, so my goal this year is to read one NF book a month. My first one is Arbiter of Worlds, which is a book on running RPGs that I got for Christmas. It's very short and I'm already halfway through, so once that's done, I'll go ahead and get a jump on my next book, which is going to be Kathleen Flinn's The Sharper Your Knife the Less You Cry. Her The Kitchen Counter Cooking School really changed how I cook, so I have big hopes for this one.

I'm also in the middle of Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa, which is another Christmas gift. If anyone is looking for fantasy in a non-Western setting, this is based on Japanese culture. 

My brain doesn't process visuals well enough to really enjoy graphic novels, but I do want to give The Adventure Zone a go this year.

One of my other goals this year is to return to series that I started, liked, and then didn't get back to. These include:

Masie Dobbs

Thursday Murder Club

Rivers of London

Dresden Files

Discworld City Watch

Jade Dragon Mountain

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I'm still doing the "One biography for every US president" reading thing, so on the off chance anyone else finds it useful, this is the list I've been picking from: https://bestpresidentialbios.com/curriculum/

Right now, I'm on Days of Fire which is about GW Bush and Cheney in the 2000's, and from there I'm going to move to James Madison.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

3 minutes ago, KeysMcGee said:

I'm still doing the "One biography for every US president" reading thing, so on the off chance anyone else finds it useful, this is the list I've been picking from: https://bestpresidentialbios.com/curriculum/

Oooh - thanks for this! I would like to read more biographies myself, and my dad loves history, so this will be nice for finding books for him.

On that topic, my dad likes historical fiction, but he prefers it to be very light on the fiction and very heavy on the historical accuracy. If anyone has recommendations that fit that criteria, send them my way, please!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

I have my first few books of the year queued up:

I read A Hero Born late last year and found that I loved it. If you want a book that reads like an old kung fu movie, it was designed to be that and I think it does and amazing job of striking the tone. I read the second book, A Bond Undone in December and started A Snake Lies Waiting. I plan to finish the series as my for-fun reading. I then have Richard Osman's The Bullet that Missed and his brand new one behind those.  Then it's back the the entire website's reading project, thanks to @sarakingdom, of trying to read the entire Rivers of London Series.

My wife and I are both reading The Power Broker along with Roman Mars and Elliot Kalan on 99% Invisible. It's a year long project, about 100 pages per month. I'll dip in and out of this book on pace with the podcast. 

My coworkers started a book club last year and they chose The House of Morgan as the new book to start this year. I honestly don't know how many of them will finish it but I'm going to go for it. I stopped by the bookstore yesterday to buy a copy because I realized I would never finish it from the library on time and there appears to be a queue so I couldn't get multiple check outs in a row. Once I'm done here, I have a book on France I want to get from the library. 

IMG_4590.thumb.jpeg.47283424da7659b3402a9d0ffef5e2f6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

16 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Excited to hang out here, especially after @sarakingdom got so many of us to read Rivers of London all at the same time last year. 😂

I'm not sure it's a repeatable accomplishment!

16 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Unless I remember wrong, the Great Campaign to provide All The Rewards is still ongoing, isn't it...?

The problem is, I lost count.

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

One of my other goals this year is to return to series that I started, liked, and then didn't get back to. These include:

Rivers of London

Discworld City Watch

Two Thumbs Up GIF by wade.photo

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

Then it's back the the entire website's reading project, thanks to @sarakingdom, of trying to read the entire Rivers of London Series.

Embarrassed Dog GIF

• Haha 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Discworld City Watch

I'm considering rereading the early ones again, even as I'm reaching forward to read the last two. Keep me in the loop, because I'd love to share thoughts if you dive back into this series. 🥰

4 hours ago, KeysMcGee said:

Right now, I'm on Days of Fire which is about GW Bush and Cheney in the 2000's, and from there I'm going to move to James Madison.

I had forgotten about that! Is it going well? 😃

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

On that topic, my dad likes historical fiction, but he prefers it to be very light on the fiction and very heavy on the historical accuracy. If anyone has recommendations that fit that criteria, send them my way, please!

Haha, the closest I've gotten would be Jurassic Park, which I thought was AWESOME, but probably nowhere near the intent of "historical" fiction. 😅

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Then it's back the the entire website's reading project, thanks to @sarakingdom, of trying to read the entire Rivers of London Series.

😂😂😂

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm not sure it's a repeatable accomplishment

I'm willing to bribe you with weird kitchenware to get everyone to read City Watch together. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

47 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

I'm willing to bribe you with weird kitchenware to get everyone to read City Watch together. 😆

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

54 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

Oh! I would totally use a cake plate shaped like 4 elephants balancing a disc standing on a turtle's back.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 5

5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Look, I'm not saying I already have eccentric pieces already in mind, but I am saying I'd go searching for them. 😂

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Oh! I would totally use a cake plate shaped like 4 elephants balancing a disc standing on a turtle's back.

🥰🥰🥰

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Sold. Where do we start, and will it be shipped to me or do I need to pick it up somewhere?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Sold. Where do we start, and will it be shipped to me or do I need to pick it up somewhere?

I found someone's one of a kind project blog...

image.png.6ef6a4acbd1547b99451aaad50e242b6.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
  • That's Metal 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan

Ooh! I keep considering reading those again. 😄

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Hi All! Happy New Year! 

I'm going to try to read 24 books this year. My first is "Babel" by RF Kuang. 

I'd re-read some Pratchett for that plate! 😁

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 1/2/2024 at 1:09 AM, MaeradCase said:

Excited to hang out here, especially after @sarakingdom got so many of us to read Rivers of London all at the same time last year. 😂

So, uh... it looks like I just got a new recruit by accident today. 😳

(Probably I'm nearing the glass trifle dish. I must be, surely.)

20 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Look, I'm not saying I already have eccentric pieces already in mind, but I am saying I'd go searching for them. 😂

I think we'd probably have to start with an egg whisk for Annoia. One that's really good at blocking drawers.

• Haha 2

I have no explicit reading goal. 

I am in two graduate programs, so I read a lot every day, but it's more for "work," and I get kind of mentally exhausted by the massive amounts of reading that I do (and the writing that goes with it) and then also there is that full time job that isn't what I would call intellectual, but it definitely has a cognitive load.

All that said, I'm working my way back to enjoying reading, and having a much more pleasurable pace in all my investigations.

Over the holiday break, I read All Systems Red, the first in the Murderbot series, and I really enjoyed it. Bonus for being engaging and only 150 pages long; I read it over a leisurely day.

I might read the second of that series, or I might start Farenheit 451. I had a brain injury in 2019, and have forgotten most of the details of what I read before the injury, just the sense of the book reamins. 

And it seems like a powerfully good time to revisit Bradbury, who feels like an old friend, even if I can't remember what he wrote. :) 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think we'd probably have to start with an egg whisk for Annoia. One that's really good at blocking drawers.

And a spatula, blessed be her drawers. 😆😂🤣

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

All that said, I'm working my way back to enjoying reading, and having a much more pleasurable pace in all my investigations.

Over the holiday break, I read All Systems Red, the first in the Murderbot series, and I really enjoyed it. Bonus for being engaging and only 150 pages long; I read it over a leisurely day.

That sounds super cool!

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

I might read the second of that series, or I might start Farenheit 451. I had a brain injury in 2019, and have forgotten most of the details of what I read before the injury, just the sense of the book reamins. 

And it seems like a powerfully good time to revisit Bradbury, who feels like an old friend, even if I can't remember what he wrote. :) 

I have sampled three of his books. I really appreciated Fahrenheit 451, wasn't quite into October Country, and really loved The Martian Chronicles (so much that I contemplated writing prompts from his brilliant stories). In fact, I liked Aasimov's short stories' progressions in I, Robot in very much the same way. 🧐😍🥰

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler