Forums are back in action! ×

Nanos gigantum humeris insidentes [march 19 - april 15]

nanos gigantum humeris insidentes Or Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Or rather in this pvp we are trying to develop the shoulders to stand on ;) 

This video/photo based challenge is focused on shoulder mobility

The first participant presents a stretch or movement. The other participants reproduces it themself.

The day after the next in line is making the next move, that the others have to copy. 

Feel free to join in, but wait till we are done with the circuit.

The primary objective is to explore different ways of moving the shoulder

Rules:

• If a move or shape is too hard, an easier variation or some assistance is totally acceptable and recommended (but not a completely different move!). We can discuss together what an appropriate variation is. 

• The same move cannot be used twice in the challenge.

• The same person cannot contribute twice in a row.

If you want to participate, give us a shout! We will add you to the list. When it is your turn, record your move and post it. Please wait for your turn and watch out for new posts here, otherwise you might be working on a sequence that is not the latest one. When it is your turn, you have a day (24h) to post your contribution.

The current order is:

1. Norgaard / Standing shoulder dislocation (Rope/stick)

2. @@mu 

• Like 2

Be like water my friend

okidok I'll get the broom :P
I will do it tomorrow if it's ok.

So am I correct that I should reproduce your move and post it.

For now we are just 2, but if more are coming, everybody should post that stretch first right?

And then I present a new shoulder stretch?

We don't do them all in a row, it's like a stretch per day with a new stretch leader every day?

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

okidok I'll get the broom :P
I will do it tomorrow if it's ok.

So am I correct that I should reproduce your move and post it.

For now we are just 2, but if more are coming, everybody should post that stretch first right?

And then I present a new shoulder stretch?

We don't do them all in a row, it's like a stretch per day with a new stretch leader every day?

yeah exactly.

So you post a new stretch tomorrow. you can either post both the last one and your new, or just your new (honor codecs) 

And tomorrow is fine, we have plenty of days ;)

Be like water my friend

Here you go, dislocations + rotator cuff hitch hikers

Does it show that my left is a bit tight / weird, a bit higher up? It doesn't hurt or anything, it just feels a bit tighter than the right.

• Norgaard / Standing shoulder dislocation (Rope/stick)

• @mu / rotator cuff hitch hikers (45-60s)

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

okidok, I haven't seen than one before. I have a few questions :D
You hold the stick at scapula level and then you push away gently, right? is it a different feel from the back section of the shoulder dislocation?

is the full range of motion straight arms or not? or do you hold the stick in such a way that you cannot extend arms fully (narrower grip)?

• Like 1

Here we go :) 

Hope I got this thing right... I repeat what you two have done and then add another move, right?

I added a stretch where you fold one arm under and stretch the other over head as far as possible. You don't have to have that overhead arm in a vertical line, it could also be at an angle, just see what feels like its working best and keep the arm straight though

@Norgaard did I get that last stretch of yours right? Tried several grip variations and one in between got my arms shaking for now apparent reason and with the wide one - is that stretching out the direction to go?

Thanks, you two, this is so great ^_^

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

oh oh I am late!

I did Norgaard's stretch because I missed it, and then Lucky fire dragon's since it's today's stretch. And then the one I propose is at the end. The important bit is to have the arm bent at 90 degrees and that the shoulder/pec area touches the floor. You can do it against a wall as well if you prefer.

Please if I did any move wrong, send me a virtual slap, I'd be happy to learn and correct it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norgaard said:

You only do The last one and then The new one, Els we have to do 40 stretches at The end. It seemed right the move as far as I could see on my phone :)

Of course! That makes a lot of sense

Okay, great, thank you :)

7 minutes ago, @mu said:

oh oh I am late!

no, I might have been too early, ooops, sorry.

Your stretch looks excellent! I know a similar one against the wall yes, but never got along with it well, this looks better. Do you use your leg to increase the twist?

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

4 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I know a similar one against the wall yes, but never got along with it well, this looks better. Do you use your leg to increase the twist?

Yes, it increases the twist.

I swap wall and floor every so often. After a while, I get used to one position and I don't feel the stretch so much. For instance, tonight on the floor, I had absolutely no gap but I just went to the wall and tried, I had a little gap to work on. And vice versa, after a while I get used to the wall, and I need to go back the floor.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes, it increases the twist.

I swap wall and floor every so often. After a while, I get used to one position and I don't feel the stretch so much. For instance, tonight on the floor, I had absolutely no gap but I just went to the wall and tried, I had a little gap to work on. And vice versa, after a while I get used to the wall, and I need to go back the floor.

good point, looking forward to trying this :)

17 hours ago, Norgaard said:

ao o shoot dragon, my and a new one :)

that makes always 3 stretches per video, that sounds perfect

So I’m not sure what it’s called, it’s more of a lay stretch than a direct shoulder but I think it makes sense focusing on the shoulders

1.,start on all 4.

2.,Take your right hand and put it in line with the left

3. Rotate the hand in a karate chop position (little finger to the ground

4.  Extend the arm forward but still in line with the left one

5. Press the finger down to put pressure on the shoulder.

6. Move the left hand slightly out to the left side

7. While you press down, press the left hand down and press your body weight to the right. 

• Like 1

Be like water my friend

:D I know, thanks, am on it :)

oops might have held a bit long as I didn't want to "be lazy" :lol:

anyway here goes:

I added a mobility move for the internal shoulder rotation

- Hand behind your back and up as far as tolerated !not too high up otherwise you might cramp instead of benefit!

- Keep chest up and shoulder blade pulled down and in.
- squeez your shoulder blades together and lift elbow backwards

• Like 1

@@mu you're up :)

Very interesting stretches, both of them. Am I angling yours too much Norgaard? say with my right hand forward, I might be moving it a bit too much to the left?

And a possibly boring contribution: shoulder (+back) stretch against the wall.

So I’m a bit late sorry!

i redid your stretch after @@mu at a proper wall but couldn’t film there. 

My stretch is is a simple passive two arm

hang. If you can’t film it because you Havnt brought a camera to we’re you hang then don’t worry. Just do it as long a spossible (I shortent my stretches for the video and doing a longer round now :)

@lucky fire dragon

• Like 1

Be like water my friend

sorry, now it was my turn to be so late :o 

My weekend workshop was harder work than expected and now with the kids on school holiday it is sooooooo tempting to join in on their easy going laziness :P Sorry.

So here goes. The wall stretch wasn't that long, I see, will do another round now. And the hanging stretch was simply hanging, right? Hubby filmed for me, very sweet :)

The one I added I should have probably filmed from the side as well as I tend to hollow my back and tried not to, but filming I could have checked better ;)

Please try not to hollow the back with it and also keep your neck relaxed and head up straight as much as possible. But then you probably already know that better than I do...

I stretched first a little by pushing the elbow down with the other hand and only then by pulling on the strap from below. You can adapt that as you'd like.

@@mu your turn :) excited to see what you add on and there is no such thing as boring stretches to my mind.

I'm really enjoying this PvP! I have started using some of the new stretches I learned here. I also used to do dislocation with a towel/piece of clothe, but I use the stick now,  my left shoulder was cheating out of the stretch with a towel, but with the stick, it can't! It is also really really good to check stretches on video, I never really bothered but that was a mistake!

I will probably shoot tomorrow, see you soon :)