Forums are back in action! ×

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4Bn; will create sequels

karassa

As long as Lucas is done jacking around with the originals....I mean, come on! George, if you are running low on cash, I will donate, but please STOP remaking episodes 4-6 with other junk!

I mean:

1. Han Shot FIRST!

2. We don't need to see Jabba the Hutt in "A New Hope"

3. Vader does NOT need to yell "NOOOOOO" as the Emperor is using force lightning on Luke. (Remake of Episode 6)

As a LONG TIME fan, I could care less if Disney mucks around with it...just PLEASE put the original episodes 4-6 back the way they were upon release and leave them alone!

Lv 2 Human Assassin
Str:4
Dex:3
Sta:2
Con:1
Wis:2
Cha:0
Motto: "Don't give up yet...You've still got a couple of M*therf*ckers to prove wrong!"
Previous Challenge:Challenge 1: Ryan's Quest for Inner Peace

Which is why I'm not worried. Marvel stayed Marvelish, Piaxar stayed Piaxarish, Star Wars I believe will stay Star Warsish. They seem to only grab companies that are PG-13 movie generators or better and then let them do their thing instead of Disneyfying them.

^^ This

People tend to forget that Disney has always had alternative production companies to handle films that they would prefer not to fly under the castle flag logo. Touchstone, for example, is owned by Disney, but doesn't produce cartoons or child-centric films. Pretty Woman, Armageddon, and... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, are all technically Disney properties. I don't think it follows that just because Disney now owns it, that they will fundamentally change it.

^^ and this

Wait...Pirates of the Caribbean is awesome.

Alright, I'm in.

Agreed...

I, for one, welcome our new Disney overlords

^^ This

Also didn't Disney make Tron Legacy and John Carter? I liked those films!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Oh and if you don't like the idea of watching the Disney versions than just watch the original stuffs - it's not like you don't have a choice. Just saying!!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Guest Snake McClain
I feel like today's RealLife webcomic explains my feelings on this well.

20121031_2936.jpg

Yup.

At this point I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said in this thread already but...I just want a "Shadows of the Empire" movie/series. I want to see Dash Rendar chasing Boba Fett. I want to see bounty hunters and smugglers. I want to see the outer rim. I want to see the inner rim. I am feeling pretty confident Disney is coming through on this one.

Ok...how does Disney make star crap not SUCK???

*Puts mod hat on* Stop trolling please.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm slowly working my way through the EU books and currently have Han and Leai's youngest as a toddler, so about 10-15 books in I think. Long way to go. Like you said, very few plot holes as everything needed to be approved my LucasArts.

I can't see them doing episodes 7-9 as something far down the timeline, it wouldn't make sense to give them those episode numbers. I think the Thrawn trilogy is the best for 7-9 as they happen right after 4-6 and are some of the strongest stories in terms of plot. They would of course need to recast due to age. The other option I see is doing 20-30 years down the line as so they could have the old actors in them, but there is really too much that happens in that timeframe and everyone would be lost where the story picks up.

Rogue Squadron would be apsolutaley awesome as a tv series or mini series, even a cartoon.

I don't see them going any earlier because 1-3 have covered up to the birth of Vader and there's not a huge amount of content between 3 and 4 that makes an impact on anything else, as they made sure to try to cover all that in 1-3. Same thing for pre-1, there's nothing that really needs to be covered or connects to 1-6. I think post 6 would be the best way to go to generate interest in the story.

Which is why I'm not worried. Marvel stayed Marvelish, Piaxar stayed Piaxarish, Star Wars I believe will stay Star Warsish. They seem to only grab companies that are PG-13 movie generators or better and then let them do their thing instead of Disneyfying them.

Any transaction that brings us a new Star Wars movie is a good one. The Clone Wars movie and cartoon series has been good to keep the story alive for future generations. They needed to be made or the franchise might have just died out eventually, because an Episode VII was not happening with Lucas at the helm. With Disney involved, it's win-win for everyone. Kids will get more kid geared stuff I'm sure, but with the announcement of Episode VII (not an announcement of just a new Star Wars movie, but Episode VII!) adults will get more movies and novels that follow.

The best starting point for Episode VII with the current state of the Expanded Universe is after the conclusion of the Fate of the Jedi novel series. 40+ years after A New Hope, so the actors from the Original Trilogy are all about the right age and would only reprise their roles as cameos anyway. The Legacy Era has well defined main characters with the Solo and Skywalker kids all grown up and a well defined galaxy and timeline. Next, there is no canon material for another 80+ years. That's a big time gap to fill with a whole new storyline.

The Thrawn Trilogy would be great, but it doesn't hold a candle to the films' storylines. Same goes for The New Jedi Order series. The Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series could be great movies, but I think they'll skip them for now, because the story is already told in great detail.

As far as I'm concerned, 2015 can't come fast enough!

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Any transaction that brings us a new Star Wars movie is a good one. The Clone Wars movie and cartoon series has been good to keep the story alive for future generations. They needed to be made or the franchise might have just died out eventually, because an Episode VII was not happening with Lucas at the helm. With Disney involved, it's win-win for everyone. Kids will get more kid geared stuff I'm sure, but with the announcement of Episode VII (not an announcement of just a new Star Wars movie, but Episode VII!) adults will get more movies and novels that follow.

The best starting point for Episode VII with the current state of the Expanded Universe is after the conclusion of the Fate of the Jedi novel series. 40+ years after A New Hope, so the actors from the Original Trilogy are all about the right age and would only reprise their roles as cameos anyway. The Legacy Era has well defined main characters with the Solo and Skywalker kids all grown up and a well defined galaxy and timeline. Next, there is no canon material for another 80+ years. That's a big time gap to fill with a whole new storyline.

The Thrawn Trilogy would be great, but it doesn't hold a candle to the films' storylines. Same goes for The New Jedi Order series. The Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series could be great movies, but I think they'll skip them for now, because the story is already told in great detail.

As far as I'm concerned, 2015 can't come fast enough!

It's a good point ehre that they really may start that late that I had discarded before, it would give the entire series a reboot for the next generation of fans.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Darn all your well thought out comments and observations. You people are runing my fan-dumb. I want to hate this prima facia, but if Disney can show the same restraint with Star Wars they have shown with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there may be A New Hope (see what I did there?) for the franchise. This round goes to you, reason and logic.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Darn all your well thought out comments and observations. You people are runing my fan-dumb. I want to hate this prima facia, but if Disney can show the same restraint with Star Wars they have shown with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there may be A New Hope (see what I did there?) for the franchise. This round goes to you, reason and logic.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? You want to get all irrationally indignant then logic and reason win out.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

The main thing I'm hoping for here is to be able to get the original (The REAL original, not the "edited" versions) movies on DVD or Blu-ray. We currently do not own copies of Star Wars because my husband is just that angry at George Lucas for messing with them. Short of buying a VCR and trolling craigslist for old VHS copies, I don't think I'll ever get to see them again otherwise.

As far as a new movie goes? I'm not opposed to the idea, as long as they're smart and make it a new series in the star wars universe, not necessarily a continuation of that particular story. Why not? It's a great universe, there's a lot that can still be explored.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

My prefrence would be no reboot, no recasting of any parts. Either go forward or backward in the timeline and age the old charachters along with their actors or have completely new characters. Dip from, but do not be tied to, the EU for the quality varies widely.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I don't think that would be necessary, though it was undeveloped at the time, A New Hope had lots of references to backstory that even Lucas hadn't worked out. The movie flowed just fine despite multiple references to past events. Also, remember, EU serves cannon, not the other way around.

Current Challenge

I think it's reasonable to expect Disney to remain faithful to the Star Wars universe. The real question is which one? I think all if us who grew up with the original trilogy are hanging out for mor of that.

The real problem is that the prequel universe has spun off so much merchandise, cartoons, etc plus the current fan base is younger. My biggest fear is that we see more prequel garbage and jar jar binkses because in the end that's where the money is right now.

I really hope that whoever they get to make the new films goes retro and ditches all the CGI garbage and makes a true to form star wars movie. I'd say this is a long shot though...

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I think it's reasonable to expect Disney to remain faithful to the Star Wars universe. The real question is which one? I think all if us who grew up with the original trilogy are hanging out for mor of that.

The real problem is that the prequel universe has spun off so much merchandise, cartoons, etc plus the current fan base is younger. My biggest fear is that we see more prequel garbage and jar jar binkses because in the end that's where the money is right now.

I really hope that whoever they get to make the new films goes retro and ditches all the CGI garbage and makes a true to form star wars movie. I'd say this is a long shot though...

The original films were cutting-edge graphics for their time. If they take a lesson from Harry Potter and age the product to fit the audience, we could probably have CGI without the immature clown.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Just heard Harrison Ford is open to another SW movie. I think this would be good, whether he got a big or a small part. I felt Mr. Ford was not part of the problems with Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. I had seen him in interviews before that and thought he was kind of getting weak and slow, but then the movie came out and he was Indiana Jones. I think he could still nail Han Solo and would be interested in seeing it.

Current Challenge

Ford is always awesome. It was plot in that movie that was the issue. So disappointed that there were aliens in Indiana Jones.

500 / 330 / 625

The main arguments I see against this acquisition are really quite silly. For those that don't like it because they want their original series unsullied, they don't want the new series to be silly and for kids, and hail the genius of George Lucas.....here are four examples of what we received under GL:

uLJiH.jpg

ZRYXi.jpg

LlR4s.gif

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

Archived