Forums are back in action! ×

Five weeks ago we started a six-week walking program at work. (I'm a programmer, so I generally sit at a desk all day long.) I've gained back 30 or so of the pounds I lost last summer, and have been feeling crummy and like I needed to do SOMETHING about my weight for a while, so this program at work was the spark I needed to actually get off the couch. I knew that I needed to eat better, and I'd researched Paleo a while back, but I felt like I need some help implementing it. I stumbled across the Paleo Central app on my phone, and that's how I found Nerd Fitness.  :smile-new:

I joined the Academy and started going through the stuff in there, so I've only recently discovered the REST of Nerd Fitness, lol. So far I've been working on habits...starting small...walking 5-10 minutes every day, drinking no more than 8 oz of coffee a day, and fixing my diet, starting with breakfast. I've done the tutorial workout a couple of times - I'd like to get to where I'm consistently doing that 3-4 times a week with yoga on my off days. (Maybe that's a good goal for my first six-week challenge.) Even with these small changes, I've managed to reversed the trend - I'm no longer gaining weight; instead I've lost 5 lbs!

Ultimately, I want to break the cycle of obesity in my family. (Sadly, I can honestly say that everyone in my immediate family is obese...and so far, I'm following true to form. I'm 42, 4'10" and 160 lbs with hereditary high cholesterol, and recently discovered my blood pressure is dangerously high. But I plan to change most of that in the not-too-distant future!) I want to be a good example to my three girls, and teach them how to stay healthy. I'd also like to a) be around to see them grow up (they range in age from 2 to 11) and B) be able to actively play and keep up with them.

I've never really liked sports or exercise, but I'm trying to change that. My husband and I have been watching American Ninja Warrior, and I've been so inspired by some of the stories...we're talking about building obstacles in our backyard! Of course, I have a very long way to go before I could even think about doing something that, but it's something to shoot for. Parkour looks fun, too.

Guess I've gone on long enough! :-) Thanks for reading. I'm really looking forward to joining you in the challenges. (I almost forgot! I used to play EQ and WoW; don't really have time for that now, but love, Love, LOVE the idea of levelling up IRL. Robert Jordan is one of my favorite authors, and LoTR is a favorite, too. So I feel like I'm in Good Company here at Nerd Fitness.)

Now let's get to work!

Linda

Level 2 Hobbit

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 1

First Challenge | Intro

Welcome, Linda!

I just wanted to (hopefully) encourage you a bit by letting you know that I lost a good 20-30 pounds without any regular exercise.  I didn't even really have a good excuse, such as yours; I was just kind of lazy.

Good luck getting your blood pressure under control!

Level 0 Ranger

Getting started back at the NF Academy

I've never really liked sports or exercise, but I'm trying to change that. My husband and I have been watching American Ninja Warrior, and I've been so inspired by some of the stories...we're talking about building obstacles in our backyard! Of course, I have a very long way to go before I could even think about doing something that, but it's something to shoot for. Parkour looks fun, too.

I hated walking on treadmills and using the weight machines at the gym.  The best advice is to experiment and don't get discouraged.  What worked for me was sledgehammer training. Once I started making progress with that, I started doing some bodyweight stuff and then I made my own home gym:

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

If you want to know how to make any of these, then feel free to send me a private message.  In that photo are sandjug weights (about 13 pounds), A 10 pound sledgehammer, a 20 pound warhammer, a 25 pound kettelbell, 45 pound kettelbell, an 80 pound sandbag, and a 250 pound tractor tire.  Besides the warhammer (a gift), that entire set up cost roughly 40-50 bucks.  It's totally doable and offers a wide range of exercises. The sledgehammer alone is worth it for me.

As for

Update on the blood pressure issue: I saw the doc today, and she benched me. I can walk, but I can't do strength training until my blood pressure is under control. Guess I'll work on my diet for the time being...

It's already been said, healthy food choices count for 80%+ of the weight loss battle.

Robert Jordan!  Ahhhh that takes me back.  I haven't touched a Wheel of Time book in awhile, but I have a lot of good memories.

In any case, welcome, Linda!  Making good food choices is so hard... I feel you.  But you seem to be motivated, so I'm sure you will persevere!

Also: parkour looks awesome.  SOMEDAY I WILL TRY THIS.

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Hey, welcome! I came to NF via the academy too. Everyone is super great, and what I learned in the last 6+ months is I am more successful when I make a point to talk with people who have the same goals as I do - which means coming to the forums as much as I can. :) see you around!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Thanks, everyone! I've always been most successful at sticking to something when I've been active in the forums. (And Teros, your home-made gym looks awesome. I love it!)

So my hubby and I have been talking, and the next step in cleaning up my diet is to eliminate wheat. First step is to become aware of how much bread and pasta I eat, and then start skipping the rolls, eating burgers and sandwiches without the bun, and using brown rice pasta or zucchini "noodles" instead of regular pasta.

It's been 2-1/2 days since I've had wheat in any significant amount. So far, so good...

Level 2 Hobbit

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 1

First Challenge | Intro