Forums are back in action! ×

Inspiration!

What is your workout inspiration?  Both silly and serious.  Here is mine:

1: The Doctor's companion's need to be able to run.  Being slow, huffing and puffing, makes you Dalek fodder.

2: As I posted in my intro thread, my grandmother called me fat.  So by the time she visits again next year I want to surprise her.

3: If I could walk more places I could save on gas.

4: I have old pants that I can't squeeze into that are taking up space in my closet.

5: My biggest celebrity crush is fit: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/the-internet-has-a-huge-crush-on-this-female-weigh

6: If I can roleplay characters with indomitable personalities, why cant I adopt one myself?

7: My cousin. The dude is a beast.  He often competes in strongman competitions.  

• Like 2

Level 0 Halfling Adventurer

STR: 0 DEX: 0 STA: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Zombies.

Always zombies.

I've been told I can't have a survival kit by the front door and that building a house of the grid is a step too far.

I'll have to make do with being fitter!

• Like 1

Roller girl, weight lifter, cat lover.
"Wear panties on your head & hit your friends!"

Level One Warrior
+1 WIS +3 STR +2 STA +1 DEX +2 CON +1 CHA 

Challenge Time!

Current; 27/5 Laps

Hm if I had to analyze, at the core it's probably cause I got picked on alot at school. Enter martial arts and strength training. Now I just love to be able to put on that extra 5lbs weight when I lift heavy.

Also yes possible zombie apocalypse or other manmade disaster is always a possibility that one has to keep in mind, for this reason (and cause its fun) parkour! :D

My biggest inspiration is this dude called Harry Greb, who fought in the early 1900s.

I like to think there are four levels of bad-ass.

1. Normal bad-ass : A lot of the people in these forums.

2. Specially bad-ass : People who've become notorious by being bad-ass, like Bear Grylls. 

3. Action hero bad-ass : Typically not attainable by most people. Think Rambo, or a real-life special forces soldier. These guys don't look back when there's an explosion behind them.

Then we get to 4. Harry Greb bad-ass.

I believe to qualify for this level, you have to have the following:

1. A boxing record of 261 wins - 17 losses - 19 draws.

2. A furious, unrelenting boxing style.

3. A reputation as one of the best pound-for-pound boxers of all time.

4. You must be able to do all of the above whilst blind in one eye for the majority of your career.

If that isn't inspirational I don't know what is!

• Like 1

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.

1: The Doctor's companion's need to be able to run.  Being slow, huffing and puffing, makes you Dalek fodder.

^ This! But is it possible to out-run a Dalek death-ray?

Zombies.

Always zombies.

^ And this! The Zombie apocalypse is inevitable people!!  :)

Also, I'm a petite woman (5'2") so some people assume I'm weak and I hate it. I love it if someone asks if I need help lifting something and I can say "nope".

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

For me, it's strength. I've always wanted to be strong because I think I will be able to protect my family when the time comes if I am strong. And I mean truly strong, not "I can bench double my body weight." I mean "running into a burning building, and carrying my kids out several times over and still be able to lift a log after everything is done" strong. I've always been weak. I've always lost when it would come to fights and wrestling with friends. I have not been able to protect anyone, let alone myself.

Level 0-Assassin

• Losing the beer belly.  

Losing the fat around my neck that occurs when I hit over 170 pounds.

Realizing that if I want to ever have that six-pack, it will only get harder as I get older.

Wanting to look like the heroes in films (Captain America, James Bond, etc.) though I realize that even if I don't get there I'll be happy with what I do look like.

What is behind the door

And for immediate and temporary motivation, this video: 

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

Zombies.

Always zombies.

I've been told I can't have a survival kit by the front door and that building a house of the grid is a step too far.

I'll have to make do with being fitter!

Do you do the Zombies, Run! app?  I love it and it certainly motivates me even on days when I'm not certain I want to exercise.  

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

4: I have old pants that I can't squeeze into that are taking up space in my closet.

Heheh, I remember buying a pair of pants that were a bit too small several years ago. Then motivation to be healthy seemingly kicked in and I lost 20 pounds and the pants were then...a bit too loose. Nothing a belt can't fix, right? Then I lost 20 more pounds and they were completely unwearable. They cost 230$, and this was in 2001 X(

The moral of the story: when using the pants strategy to motivate yourself to get fit, don't buy pants that are too TOO expensive ;P

But back to the topic, my main motivations/inspirations to work out right now are:

- Health

- Appearence and body proportions

- Cosplay

And yes, I got burned again by the "lost some fat and now the pants aretoo big" thing again with one of my cosplays. Not sure if happy or raging. EDIT: Nevermind. I just tried them on again and they fit less loose. Yay squats and deadlifts!

As for people, though, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head save for the few 65+ people I see at the gym doing intense workouts. When I get older, I totally want to be doing that, so I figure I should start early :tongue:

And, y'know, the guy I see at the squat rack next to me with 370 lbs on, right after I do my 195 lb personal best. "Aww yeaa, new pb! Oh...I need to be able to do what he's doing!" And now there's a leader board at the gym I go to for various lifts and runs. I probably have a chance at some of the running/cardio categories. Things will get...interesting XD

Inspector Koichi Zenigata of the ICPO/Interpol has chased after Arse'ne Lupin III for at least approximately 20* years. If he can be so determined and dedicated then so can I.

* Rupan Ansatsu Shirei (Orders to Assassinate Lupin/ Lupin the 3rd: Voyage to Danger)

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

My new goal is to train to become a Marine. Life's been hectic the past few months but I finally have some clarity and know what I want to do. I've gone full Paleo, I've started lifting smart (SL 5x5), I've taken up hiking as often as I can. I'm going to kick boot camp in the arse!!

I need to drop 20-30 pounds and increase my endurance. My plan is to join this summer after one last family trip to Colorado (high alt training!)

Before I was finding inspiration in outside sources but that didn't work. Instead of doing this as revenge or to prove something to others now I am doing it to prove it to myself! What a relief :)

This site along with Marks Daily Apple have been great reads and all of you are inspirations! Let's get after it and reach out goals :encouragement:

• Like 1

Urban Meyer (tOSU): "It's so easy to just be an average guy... greatness means we're going to try to push you to maximize who you are"

Battlelog: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/61613-road-to-usmc-battelog/

PS4 - TheTrustySteed

because the being overweight as a child sucked. And now that I am trying to start a family of my own, I've decided the best way to save my own children from that is to set a good example.

Plus, if I have a daughter, I need to be strong enough to intimidate any guy she brings home.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

^ This! But is it possible to out-run a Dalek death-ray?

You'll never know until you try - and for that, you need to be a great runner!

For me ... 

1 - I just really like the feeling of being strong, and the confidence boost that comes with it.

2 - Appearance - I'm vain.  I want the kind of shoulders that make Tumblr women reblog celebrities' photos.

3 - I feel less tired and listless in daily life when I eat right and exercise.

4 - I prefer Grandmother's comments about "not needing to be that fit for everyday life" and "not going too far" over her comments about how I've "gained weight" and comments about "do you really need that?" when I eat treats around her.

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Steampunk gear. Generally it doesn't come in my sizes currently. So... I will get into it at a healthy size.

Also, I like to do obstacle courses like the Tough Mudder and Spartan Beast, and it's a lot of fun to be that chick who skips the 'women's category' for weights and go with the 'men's category' because I can.

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I'll give the pretentious answer: Socrates ... or more accurately I suppose I should say Plato. The whole extract is to long to quote here (and I can't copy/paste on this forum anyway for some reason) but I've always liked: It is a disgrace to grow old through sheer carelessness without seeing  what manner of man you may become through developing bodily strength to the highest limit. But you cannot see it if you are careless it does not arrive of its own accord.

The actual piece talks about how physical strength makes you tougher, braver, more likely to survive and importantly more useful to yourself, your friends and your community. How achievement in life is really built on strength. That life is better, and that in fact the lives of your children will be better to.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2