Forums are back in action! ×

What made you smite today?

This morning I'm in the mens room, in a stall, taking care of business.  Knock on the door, cleaning lady (happens often enough, usually I yell "Yes" so she knows the room is occupied and she comes back later).  She says "Are you out of paper towels?"  I reply that I don't know (inferring that I'm otherwise occupied).  She says "I don't have all day to wait" then comes in to fill the towel dispenser.  

I found this distressing, since not long ago I heard of someone who was in the mens room at the urinal, the cleaning lady came in without knocking, saw something she'd rather not have seen, and got him fired for exposing himself to her.  

What if we ruin this planet so badly it becomes inhabitable?

Rapid extinction of species, climate change, chopping the rainforests for plantations...

Digging the nuclear waste into the earth. I mean what the fuck... Who thought that one up?!

I have a hard time believing all this damage could be reversed.

Humans are fucking rotten as a whole.

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

This morning I'm in the mens room, in a stall, taking care of business.  Knock on the door, cleaning lady (happens often enough, usually I yell "Yes" so she knows the room is occupied and she comes back later).  She says "Are you out of paper towels?"  I reply that I don't know (inferring that I'm otherwise occupied).  She says "I don't have all day to wait" then comes in to fill the towel dispenser.  

I found this distressing, since not long ago I heard of someone who was in the mens room at the urinal, the cleaning lady came in without knocking, saw something she'd rather not have seen, and got him fired for exposing himself to her.  

Not on quite the same level but I was in work early one day and had to go use our single occupancy bathroom in the hall.  SOmeone knocked and I replied "occupied."  I believed this to be sufficient information that did not require a follow up question but she asked me, "Is it bad in there?"  How am I supposed to answer that!?!

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

I just found out that our license for PKZip in our client's mainframe environment expires at midnight tonight.

We have a bunch of jobs that zip correspondence files to be sent for printing, that run after midnight.

No one seems to know what to do about this situation.

This is the umpteenth time I've seen people running around because a critical software license expires within hours (or in one memorable instance they actually LET it expire before they started doing something about it).  

Oh yeah, I'm on-call for production support.  And no one knows what to tell me to do when things go pear-shaped tonight.  So when the phone rings at 00:07 tomorrow morning I'll have to call someone else to find out what to do, that same person who doesn't know what to do now.

I've been doing this for 30 years.  I've worked for multiple other companies that had licenses for critical software, and they're usually renewed MONTHS in advance.

But if it wasn't for the last minute nothing would get done.

• Like 1

Well, for $10k I can understand the temptation. It's not just a local turkey trot if that kind of prize is at stake. Though really, if someone offered me $10000 to run a sub 20 5k, I wouldn't be cheating. I'd be training!

what I don't understand is why the running community should be so obsessed with one bozo. I mean, people cheat all the time and their motive is always attention, so why give it to them.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Finally able to ride the horse for the first time properly in months.. go to get the tack. Saddle is there. It's mouldy. Someone's stolen my stirrups. Someone's stolen my girth.

*rage*

Dicks.

I guess I'm buying new ones! Cleaned the saddle though and brought the numnah back with me to wash, so at least there's that.

• Like 1

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY

WARNING! Fourth Adobe Creative Cloud billing failure!

... no, I cancelled my membership. Repeatedly. Online, and over the phone. It was only my credit card expiring that seems to have stopped you from taking my money. Your website now has me in a perpetual loop of "Cancel membership? Cancel membership! Cancel membership? Cancel membership! Cancel membership?" Please stop sending me angry emails demanding that I pay you for products that I not only don't want, but don't actually have anymore.

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

My position was among about 13 others that have been cut.... right as I get into the home buying process. I put it off for 18 months because I wanted to avoid this situation. As soon as I felt stable they cut my position. on the positive side though they gave me about 6 weeks notice, so now I'm getting paid to job search.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

the dick who broke in an stole copper pipe out of the basement of my house; I am blaming desperation and addiction as the culprits with the piles of puke and zombies that are everywhere around here

work related; we upgraded our color production printer so know we have supplies that we no longer need but are still usable, so I contacted the agency that deals with surplus supplies to fill out a long ass convoluted form (that has a section for toner/printer supplies), wait a few weeks get an email saying if I could fill out the form again that would be helpful, refill out the forms resend them only to get a phone call from a surly guy saying that "they don't take printer supplies that is my and the companies problem"

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

^ I like the way you think Rand.

On another smite note, I'd like to smite "volunteer thank you parties" that cannot actually be attended by said volunteers.  

Such as, for example, parties at 21+ venues for volunteers who are not 21; parties a ridiculous distance from the event site; parties at an absurd time of day; parties that do not supply reasonable food options.  All of which have happened to me.

Maybe it's unfair to complain about freebies, but I'd like to think working my ass off for days with zero pay entitles me to complain when they spend the con budget (which I helped support) on stuff I can't actually use.

My position was among about 13 others that have been cut.... right as I get into the home buying process. I put it off for 18 months because I wanted to avoid this situation. As soon as I felt stable they cut my position. on the positive side though they gave me about 6 weeks notice, so now I'm getting paid to job search.

Damn... nice that you at least got a warning, I got semi-blindsided. I was 1 of 13 in just my section, 41 total, figure now is the time to open a business and work for myself. Filed the paperwork to get the name a couple weeks ago, and just got my EIN today. Then doing some farmer's market stuff for my dad and his pens.

the dick who broke in an stole copper pipe out of the basement of my house; I am blaming desperation and addiction as the culprits with the piles of puke and zombies that are everywhere around here

work related; we upgraded our color production printer so know we have supplies that we no longer need but are still usable, so I contacted the agency that deals with surplus supplies to fill out a long ass convoluted form (that has a section for toner/printer supplies), wait a few weeks get an email saying if I could fill out the form again that would be helpful, refill out the forms resend them only to get a phone call from a surly guy saying that "they don't take printer supplies that is my and the companies problem"

I know it's probably done and taken care of, but for anything electronics, look up electronics recyclers. If I was in the area, I'd have taken all of it, including the ink cartridges (can get gold off of them)

Arsonists:

Uhhh... I need details here. :-)

Wait... *heads over to your main thread*

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

This woman at work, I swear to dog. She's kinda older, so I'll give her some slack, but:

- She asked me, really passive-aggressively, two days in a row: "When you have a minute, will you take the messages off your answering machine?" Like, yeah. I will. WHEN IT'S MY PHONE SHIFT. If there are messages when I sit down to my phone shift, the first thing I do is take them off. You don't have to tell me to.

- She talked over me at least 4 times while we were working at the front desk together. Just having a conversation, and she would start her sentence after I was already talking. Which is a pet peeve of mine, because it happens a lot, because I'm quiet. (Side rant: Apparently people can't hear quiet people when they talk??? The many phenomena of being an introvert.)

Ugh ugh ugh. Women piss me off, and I'm a woman. I don't know how you men deal with us.

• Like 1

A counselor once told me that people who talk over others, or who simply never shut up, do so out of a place of insecurity. They are afraid that if they don't dominate the conversation they'll never be heard. They often don't consciously realize they are doing this. She is probably very unhappy and fragile, and he actions are compensating for those weaknesses. I'm sorry you are the one she craps on.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

There's already [spoilerS]Episode VII: The Force Awakens [spoilerS]  thread?

Can't you just keep that shit to yourself?

Yes, I KNOW I can just NOT Open it, but it's presence so soon is really douchey

Ok, this one really confuses me.  So should no one have talked about this movie before you saw it?

• Like 2

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Hmph.  While I didn't make the thread I was happy to respond to it, because I never get to be on the cutting edge of anything, and I enjoyed having extra nerd cred for a few hours, just once.

I'm about ready to smite my tardy roommate, he's late and if he comes back drunk again, so help me I will evict his sorry butt.

edit: he came back and he was sober.  Thank god.  I think that unholy hangover he had the other day may have actually sunk in.

Trying to clean up all the balls in the play den at work, fill up four large binbags full and prop them on the side, go to fetch a fifth, and this little boy comes round the corner. Must have been around 6 or 7.

looks at the bags.

looks at me picking up more balls and putting them in the bags.

looks around at the ALMOST clean den.

looks at the bags.

knocks every bag over and runs away laughing.

There go roughly 2000 balls in every direction.

Literally watched him do it, then walked out of the den, grabbed a cider out of the fridge(payed for it too of course) and told the boss I was going home. It was my finish time anyway. Would have strangled that child if I'd stayed!!

• Like 2

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY

co-worker comes in late goes up to the print shop where we are prepping for a mass mailing to brew his coffee and read his bible; offers no help while we print and stuff 2k letters, get asked by the big boss to help move some things again co-worker does nothing (actually is nowhere to be found), get the ok to send out the mass mailing feed them through the mail machine while listening to Motorhead* again co-workers no where to be found, get that done big boss comes over again says we have another office space to do co-worker just sits at his desk. At what point can your co-workers go to the Union and HR and ask for the person to be either transferred or retire?

blasting Motorhead through out the mail room and not getting in trouble for it was cool  

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Trying to clean up all the balls in the play den at work, fill up four large binbags full and prop them on the side, go to fetch a fifth, and this little boy comes round the corner. Must have been around 6 or 7.

looks at the bags.

looks at me picking up more balls and putting them in the bags.

looks around at the ALMOST clean den.

looks at the bags.

knocks every bag over and runs away laughing.

There go roughly 2000 balls in every direction.

Literally watched him do it, then walked out of the den, grabbed a cider out of the fridge(payed for it too of course) and told the boss I was going home. It was my finish time anyway. Would have strangled that child if I'd stayed!!

I think everyone who intends to reproduce, males included, should first be forced to spend a week cleaning a venue frequented by small children.  It might not reduce the birthrate but it might convince people to teach their kids manners.

• Like 2

Posted Today, 04:37 PM

*language warning*

So today here rant 1:

Story starts yesterday when this woman comes into the pool and allows her two children under 3 to roam around unattended or "watched" by older children between 5-17 years by looking at them, 6 kids total, her best effort of keeping her smaller kids safe is putting "toy" life vests on them. Not one of the six is in the swimming lessons or good swimmers. The pool manager/life guard chats her about letting her youngest, the little girl who looks to be no older than about 20 months jump off the .5m diving board, mother argues child has vest on and other parents are letting their kids in vests jump from boards, pool manager points out, the other children have parents in the water waiting below boards to grab them up, they are not sitting 30 meters away on their phones. Chat gets heated, woman leaves in a huff. Pool manager is angry at apathetic parents and their unwillingness to believe their children can die in the pool.

Today, same woman, I have started my class, we are sitting on the lawn about 5m from pool edge, as I talk to my class I watch young girl in vest (same one from yesterday) move to the big pool with her 8year old sister, they enter the water via the steps and sister loses control of vest girl who ends up face first in water unable to turn herself face up. I get to girl and pull her from water, tell older sister she needs to take little sis to Mum, who I cannot see anywhere. Older sister about 12 comes to get vest girl. Ok so about an hour later as I am clearing away the gear from the days lessons, my Son6 says "Mum there is someone drowning" I'm going "where?" Looking all over the place, directly across from us about 18m away in the pool the vest boy from yesterday who looks about 3 is in the water, trying to keep his head above water, (no vest today), as I reach the waters edge, pool manager/lifeguard grabs boy after entering the water and pulls him to the edge. As we sit there Mum comes over grabs child and starts telling him off, gives me and pool manger the voodoo stare of death, strides away screaming for her tribe to come on and promptly sits on her towel and berates all her children. What The Fuck!!!!

No crisis today but fuck me, she really needs to get a fucking grip and look after her fucking babies. I have been stewing on this for at least 2 hours and I am fucking angry. There is no excuse for her kids to not do lessons, it costs $6.50 per child to do the lessons, if she can afford a fucking 6S phone she can afford lessons.

Not more than a month ago a young boy in Perth nearly drowned, well he did drown but they managed to get him back. He is now unable to do anything for himself. He has basically entered the vegative state we would not wish on anyone or any parents. Does the woman above not watch the bloody news? Stupid woman!

• Like 1

Wait! What............?