Forums are back in action! ×

Super new super nerd

Hi everyone!

My name is Brittany, I'm a 22 year old aspiring cosplayer from Northern California. I'm really into DC comics (Batman mostly, obviously), and I'm an unashamed Harley fangirl. In my free time, when I'm not cosplaying, I really love playing tcg like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, and my friends just recently convinced me to build a Commander deck for MTG, so I guess I play Magic now too. lol I also love video games, especially Elder Scrolls games, collecting Pop! Vinyls, drawing/character design, and re-reading the Harry Potter series infinitely into the void of eternity.

I stumbled upon this site somehow when I was looking up tips for first time gym goers, and thought it was something right up my alley. Tonight was actually my first night ever going to a gym, so this truly is the beginning of my journey, somewhat. More like the revival of my journey. haha

When I graduated high school, I weighed almost 200 lbs, and I decided I needed to change. I started jogging, and then simple jogs turned into rather long distance runs, and within the year I had dropped 50 lbs and weighed about 140-something. I felt so awesome, and I had done it all by myself. Totally self motivated. It was then that I finally felt confident enough to start chasing my dream of cosplaying. Then, I met my boyfriend, and suddenly workouts started to be lower and lower on my list of priorities until I just kind of stopped completely. He brings out all my bad habits. lol Now, a few years later, I'm back up to almost 160 lbs, and I'm ready to start the journey all over again, aiming for an even lower weight than previously. My goal this time around is 125. Now that I'm a gym member, I also want to focus on building strength as well as my running, which is why I already chose the Rangers, because hey that's literally my exact goal! haha

I see I've joined just in time to take part in the 4-Week Challenge, so I've got pretty great timing. I can't wait to see where the next month will take me, and I'm looking forward to getting to know the community here! ^-^

• Like 3

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

Hey @Arkham! How have you got on so far, are you finding your way around ok?  I know you've already found The Pub (the best part of the forum ;)) but there's plenty of other places and threads that I'm sure you would enjoy. 

You will fit right in, and I hope you enjoy being a member of this community. It's a fantastic place, people really are supportive and out to help each other. Not like some places on t'interweb where everyone tries to bring other people down. 

Good luck with your first challenge, there's a great page explaining everything here but if you need any more help or advice then just shout. I'll be cheering you on to hit 125# :D 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

HI @Arkham, I'm new here too. Welcome and good luck! If you're a gamer and can take the skills you've learned there to apply to your life, I think you'll do great here. I've been reading Nerd Fitness for years. If you haven't signed up for the blog yet, I'd recommend you do that to get your weekly dose of inspiration too. I'm in the challenge too, I'm sure I'll see you there. ^_^

• Like 2

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

@Guzzi

Thanks for the welcome! (: I've been finding my way around pretty well. There are a lot of topics to explore here! I can't wait to look through them all.

I really like the community so far! I've always been hesitant to join any sort of fitness forum because a lot of the users on other sites seem like they're all super fit already and look down on anyone who isn't at that same point, so it's really comforting and inspiring to see people of all different fitness levels here.

Thank you for the support as well! C: I'll hopefully be starting my challenge thread when I get home from the gym tonight!

@J3NN

Hey there! Thank you for the welcome, and I'd like to welcome you as well! ^-^

I wish I could apply some of my video game skills to real life! What I wouldn't give to be an elf assassin who lives in the woods and forages for all her food. Lol

I'll definitely keep an eye on your challenge and cheer you on along the way! Good luck!

• Like 2

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

Awesome! You are supposed to do your first challenge as a Rebel so you can get the hand of the challenge format before posting in your chosen guild but it would be alright to just post in the Rangers section since you're quite definite that's the guild for you, lol! :D  (plus we are the best guild anyway!) 

If you have any questions or need any help then just tag me, or any other Ranger and they will help you. It's worth reading through some old challenge threads to get a good handle on how to set your challenge out, how often to update your thread, how to score your challenge etc.  I'll post a screenshot below of my advice to another member about doing a challenge. (My phone doesn't like the copy and paste function. Strange things happen when I try that) :unsure: 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 2/7/2017 at 6:58 PM, Arkham said:

@J3NN

Hey there! Thank you for the welcome, and I'd like to welcome you as well! ^-^

I wish I could apply some of my video game skills to real life! What I wouldn't give to be an elf assassin who lives in the woods and forages for all her food. Lol

I'll definitely keep an eye on your challenge and cheer you on along the way! Good luck!

Thank you. Since you are a gamer, would you recommend something for a beginner? Something online, and free or cheap, just to get my feet wet and see if I can find something that would help me bridge the gap? Also, are you a reader? Your description there reminded me of a book I read YEARS ago, The Green Rider by Kristen Britain. The lead is a strong heroine, she's not an elf, but there's definitely fantasy elements and foraging in the forest!

• Like 1

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

4 hours ago, J3NN said:

Thank you. Since you are a gamer, would you recommend something for a beginner? Something online, and free or cheap, just to get my feet wet and see if I can find something that would help me bridge the gap? Also, are you a reader? Your description there reminded me of a book I read YEARS ago, The Green Rider by Kristen Britain. The lead is a strong heroine, she's not an elf, but there's definitely fantasy elements and foraging in the forest!

That book sounds super interesting! I'll have to look into it. I do enjoy reading, but I've never heard of that one.

As for the games, do you mean online as in you're playing with other people, or online as in a browser based game that you don't have to download? If it's the former, any of the platformer MMO's like La Tale and Maplestory are pretty straightforward and fun. Super easy to learn. They're free to play, but do have paid features that are entirely unnecessary to succeed in the games. If you mean browser games, I unfortunately don't have much knowledge of any. At least not any that are worthwhile. lol

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

On 8/2/2017 at 7:11 PM, Arkham said:

@Guzzi

Thank you for all the help! ^-^

I went and posted in the Rebels section because even though I'm deadset on being a Ranger, I'm not quite comfortable just jumping in there yet. Maybe next challenge, I'll officially declare myself as a Ranger. :)

Eh, I was too late to show up here. Rebels used to be the newbie/Level 1 guild but no longer. It's alright to set up a challenge thread directly wherever you feel suits you the most, as is switching guilds between challenges depending on your goals/focus. Still, drop by the Ranger general chat thread and say hello anytime!

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Hey hey arkham! I'm here to show my support

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."