[ONGOING]10 Week YAYOG Ladder Challenge

Okay I tried to make one, your comment please!

YAYOG PROGRESS SPREADSHEET

http://goo.gl/T1zHd7

Thanks d3li9ht, this is awesome!

Week 3 Day 1 done... took me a bit to get the military press right and my arms are still a bit shaky. Great workout.

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Week Three, Day 1 Update:

Wow. Today was a killer. The interval training is much harder than the ladders, which I'm sure is part of the point. Anyway, I feel great after the workout, but my arms are shaky!

Classic Push-ups - 37

Military Press - 39

Close grip push ups - 23

Seated dips - 31

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

I've been bad about keeping this thread updated with my progress, but I did manage to complete Week 1!

W1D3 and W1D4 were both completed yesterday due to Saturday being crazy busy at the last minute. 

W1D3:

Push-ups- 48

LMIs- 44

Seated Dips- 48

LMUs- 48

W1D4:

Side lunges- 33

Roman Deadlifts- 28

Squats- 49

Russian Twists- 75

Moving on to Week 2 this week!

• Like 2

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Week 3, Day 1:

Wow my arms are jello. 

Classic push ups:  9/9/9 (Advanced difficulty from week 1 and 2 push-ups! Whoo hoo!)

Military Press: 12/12/9

Close grip push-ups: 4/12/12 - For this one, I couldn't do 6 of the knee-height close grip push-ups, so I moved to waist height, which seemed to be a bit too easy, so I have to find somewhere in the middle.... 

Seated-Dips: 10/9/6 - Straight legs!  Advancing my difficulty. :)

Now, because I hit muscle failure pretty quick on each set, I didn't really work up a sweat with this workout (since you rest to finish the 3 minute set time after you hit failure...).  I hope that's ok? 

Day 2 planned for tomorrow. :)

• Like 5

Level 5 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 13 | DEX 4 | STA  2 | CON  13 | WIS 11 | CHA 8

Try Not. Do, or do not. There is no try. 

Challenges 1 2 3 4 Daily Battle Log    PVP: YAYOG

I will update the first post with the spreadsheet and how to notify me when your ready to moveup.

I removed my name from the spreadsheet, I know when its time to move me up!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

W3 Day 1

Push ups 12, 12, 10 (Hit muscle failure hard on the last rep)

Military press hands knee high 12, 12, 12 (going to have to up difficulty, my arms where BURNING though)

Close grip push ups hands knee high 12, 12, 12 (again going to have to increase difficulty, arms where burning)

Seated dips with legs straight 12, 12, 12 (yea...)

So I am going to have to up the difficulty of the last three. But honestly I really thought I was going to hit muscle failure on at least the last rep. I don't know why I hit such a wall with the push ups, honestly the push ups are really difficult for me. I find myself pushing hard on each rep. I think its just because I am not used to doing them. Meanwhile the seated dips where a cakewalk, but I had some pain in the shoulder so I didnt adjust difficulty for safety reasons.

• Like 3

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I've been bad about keeping this thread updated with my progress, but I did manage to complete Week 1!

W1D3 and W1D4 were both completed yesterday due to Saturday being crazy busy at the last minute. 

W1D3:

Push-ups- 48

LMIs- 44

Seated Dips- 48

LMUs- 48

W1D4:

Side lunges- 33

Roman Deadlifts- 28

Squats- 49

Russian Twists- 75

Moving on to Week 2 this week!

Please be careful and try to avoid getting into the habit of doing 2 of the workouts in 1 day. This early on it isnt a big deal, but later it is going to be extremely difficult to combine days and I don't want anyone to hurt themselves!

• Like 1

W3 Day 1

Push ups 12, 12, 10 (Hit muscle failure hard on the last rep)

Military press hands knee high 12, 12, 12 (going to have to up difficulty, my arms where BURNING though)

Close grip push ups hands knee high 12, 12, 12 (again going to have to increase difficulty, arms where burning)

Seated dips with legs straight 12, 12, 12 (yea...)

So I am going to have to up the difficulty of the last three. But honestly I really thought I was going to hit muscle failure on at least the last rep. I don't know why I hit such a wall with the push ups, honestly the push ups are really difficult for me. I find myself pushing hard on each rep. I think its just because I am not used to doing them. Meanwhile the seated dips where a cakewalk, but I had some pain in the shoulder so I didnt adjust difficulty for safety reasons.

Pain in triceps extension and muscle failure in pushup... I'm aiming for trics/pecs imbalance.

Test Diamond Pushups. That should use more of your triceps. If you can do the three series, bingo, you should give your pecs a little more love.

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

Weight - 19,4kg gone, 1,6kg to go / 42lbs gone, 3,5lbs to go

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

YAYOG Basic Program - 13/44 Workouts

29%
29%

"Specialization is for insects" (Heinlein)

"Yes, there were times - I'm sure you knew - when I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt, I ate it up, and spit it out. I faced it all, and I stood tall, and did it my way" (Sinatra)

My current challenge

W3D9

Pushups: 12/12/12

Military Press: 12/12/12, there's space to up the difficulty

Close grip pushups: 12/12/12, there's space to up, will need to set up my bar again

Seated dips: 12/12/12, started easy, muscles were burning by the end.

• Like 1

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

Weight - 19,4kg gone, 1,6kg to go / 42lbs gone, 3,5lbs to go

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

YAYOG Basic Program - 13/44 Workouts

29%
29%

"Specialization is for insects" (Heinlein)

"Yes, there were times - I'm sure you knew - when I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt, I ate it up, and spit it out. I faced it all, and I stood tall, and did it my way" (Sinatra)

My current challenge

Pain in triceps extension and muscle failure in pushup... I'm aiming for trics/pecs imbalance.

Test Diamond Pushups. That should use more of your triceps. If you can do the three series, bingo, you should give your pecs a little more love.

That could be the case. I just dont feel solid, thats the only way I can think to explain it. Its not that I cant do them. But it feels like it takes more effort. Kind of hard to explain.

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 1:

Wow my arms are jello. 

Classic push ups:  9/9/9 (Advanced difficulty from week 1 and 2 push-ups! Whoo hoo!)

Military Press: 12/12/9

Close grip push-ups: 4/12/12 - For this one, I couldn't do 6 of the knee-height close grip push-ups, so I moved to waist height, which seemed to be a bit too easy, so I have to find somewhere in the middle.... 

Seated-Dips: 10/9/6 - Straight legs!  Advancing my difficulty. :)

Now, because I hit muscle failure pretty quick on each set, I didn't really work up a sweat with this workout (since you rest to finish the 3 minute set time after you hit failure...).  I hope that's ok? 

Day 2 planned for tomorrow. :)

Hey RX Lady. This period is all about building strength so it doesn't matter all that much if you're not sweating and breathing hard, as long as you are going to failure and feel muscle burn (not pain) then its all good

W2D1:

Push ups: 33

Let Me Ins: 46

Seated Dips: 46

Let Me Ups: 21

The Let Me Ups are still REALLY hard for me.

Let Me Ups are really hard to do. Just checking but are you starting the movement with your butt and hips off the ground with just your shoulders on the floor?

Also are your hands under the bar or over?

• Like 1

Let Me Ups are really hard to do. Just checking but are you starting the movement with your butt and hips off the ground with just your shoulders on the floor?

Also are your hands under the bar or over?

I'm still finding difficulty on LMU too. Last time I did it, I made sure that my butt & hips are off the ground, but still I can't get myself up high enough (or so I thought). The interesting thing is, if I changed the grip to pull up grip instead of chin up (like in the video instruction), I can lift myself much higher up to the bar... I'm surprised of this difference.

Also, I found this video explaining where you should position yourself below the bar:

http://youtu.be/udi2pUJxya4

(Jump to 4:35 mins)

I'll need to check this next time!

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

I finished W2D1 yesterday. I will need to update with my progress tonight, I didn't have time this morning or last night.

One thing I did notice is my first Let Me Up was fantastic, made it all the way up. The ones after that were not as fantastic but my arms and chest were shaking.

Update finally:

Elevated Push-ups             50

Let Me Ins                          78

Seated Dips                       47

Let Me Ups (bent knees)   24

All went well. I tried to slow things down a bit which helped make it harder!

• Like 3

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Week 3 Day 2

Split Squats - 12/12/12

Side Lunges - 12/12/12

Squats w/ 2 sec hold - 12/12/12 (didn't think I was going to hit it on the last round)

OLRDL - 12/12/12

I didn't think I'd get to 12 on most of these and my legs proved me wrong.

• Like 2

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

I'm sooo curious about Week 3. It seems hitting 12 reps is so *hard*.

How was the Interval training feels, compared to Week 1 & 2 Ladders?

After weeks 1 and 2 I was a bit stronger than I anticipated.  I surprised myself with classic push-ups and straight leg seated dips, so just try each exercise and then scale back if you need to. :) 

• Like 3

I'm sooo curious about Week 3. It seems hitting 12 reps is so *hard*.

How was the Interval training feels, compared to Week 1 & 2 Ladders?

I agree with RxLady. I can't quite do everything as initially perscribed in the plan but that's why it offers so many variations. I did progress to sub knee height push ups which I think is awesome. The split squats aren't nearly as bad as you'd think, you're just doing a lunge with your back leg raised.

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Week 3, Day 2

This is such a great workout. I'm really enjoying this program!

Split Squats - 12/12/16 = 40

Side Lunges - 12/12/16 = 40

Squats - 12/15/20 = 47

OLRDL - 12/12/14 = 38

Looks like you might need to up your difficulty :P

• Like 1

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Week 3 Day 2

split squats - 12/12/12

side lunges - 12/10/12

Squats - 12/12/12 (last 2 sets with 2 sec pause)

OLRs - 12/10/9

When my form started suffering I called it muscle failure, even though I might have been able to struggle through the next few movements.  Also, I need to find a way to increase the intensity on squats and split squats.. 

• Like 2

Week 3 Day 2

split squats - 12/12/12

side lunges - 12/10/12

Squats - 12/12/12 (last 2 sets with 2 sec pause)

OLRs - 12/10/9

When my form started suffering I called it muscle failure, even though I might have been able to struggle through the next few movements.  Also, I need to find a way to increase the intensity on squats and split squats.. 

That sounds right to me. Form should not suffer in order to get more reps.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai