Forums are back in action! ×

Warrior related discussions! 

*Note: You can participate in guild discussions regardless of your chosen guild. 

You love the idea of getting stronger and more powerful. Every day is an opportunity to move heavy things or test yourself against others in competition and prove your might.

* Fictional example: Thor of Asgard (The Avengers); Brienne of Tarth (Game of Thrones)

* Real-world example: Mattie Rogers, US Weightlifting Olympic team; 10x IFP World Champ Jen Thompson; Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, who plays The Mountain on Game of Thrones.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
  • spezzy changed the title to Warrior Meadhall

The door opens just enough to allow a figure to slip in. They are in a tattered cloak, beneath which glimpses of armor can be spied. A mace hangs from their belt, and though it shows some wear, the figure walks as though she is not used to its weight.  The human takes a seat at the far end of the great table that runs the length of the mead hall and hesitantly reaches out for a tankard.

Hello, warriors! After being a Ranger for the entirety of my 8.5 years on Nerd Fitness, I have decided to make strength my primary stat for the year and am focusing on increasing my squat, deadlift, and overhead press. I have recently started following Stronger by Science's free programming and logging my workouts in FitNotes, and between the two I am feeling pretty good about how this whole lifting things is going.

• That's Metal 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

The lone figure at the table sets down her empty tankard and heaves a long sigh. She does not like to overstep in other people's spaces, but surely no one would mind if she did a little basic work to spruce the place up? For her first order of business, she shovels the old ashes out of the fireplace. With a start of surprise, she realizes that the stack of kindling by the hearth is mostly made up of bits of broken furniture. She cocks her head at the pile of sticks, wondering what sort of rowdy crew used to gather here. Perhaps a bit of light and cheer would bring them back. 

She lays a fire and then has to backtrack to her pack for some flint and steel. The wood is old and dry, and just a few sparks soon have it burning. She turns and gets a better look at the hall. It has the air of disuse, with dust covered surfaces and cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. But she can almost hear the echos of old battle songs resounding from the walls. She's convinced it won't take much to liven this place back up.

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

On 1/2/2024 at 9:55 PM, Artemis Prime said:

Hello, warriors! After being a Ranger for the entirety of my 8.5 years on Nerd Fitness, I have decided to make strength my primary stat for the year and am focusing on increasing my squat, deadlift, and overhead press. I have recently started following Stronger by Science's free programming and logging my workouts in FitNotes, and between the two I am feeling pretty good about how this whole lifting things is going.

Brilliant! I also want to work on my strength. I've been so inconsistent and I regret all the wasted time over the last few years. I have to find a way to lift regularly without overdoing it, which happens so easily to me. Ugh, I'm starting from scratch. But this time I'm not going to focus on the numbers, just on how I feel. Lifting should be a pleasure. 

• Like 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

The door opens and then quickly shuts before all the cold air seeps into the hall.  In strolls a petite woman with fiery red hair in full plate armor.  Across her back are two short swords and in her hands several large logs  “I hope this will help us rebuild the fire.  Let me put one of these in and then I can find the broom and sweep some of the cobwebs down.”

Hello fellow warriors!   I have been a warrior nearly all of my nerd fitness time but last year I started to really get serious about it.  It has taken awhile to get this far while rehabilitating injuries acquired from not being strong.  This year I am looking to level up even more in strength, both physically and mentally.  Here always to cheer on everyone!

P.S. I may have had a childhood girl crush on Xena.  

xena warrior princess 90s GIF

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

The doors to the mead hall swing open with a loud crash, followed by a cheerful, "Home, sweet home!" from a tall half-orc dressed in leather armor and a chainmail hauberk, and carrying all sorts of weapons. She stops and looks around, searching for the buffet tables, the ale kegs, and the power racks that she remembers enjoying during her last visit, and smiles as she sees them all here, though dusty from lack of use. She nods a hello to the people in the mead hall, and strides over towards the bar top by the kegs, grabs a towel and begins wiping off dust and clearing away debris.

"Well then. Who wants a stout, and who wants a brown ale? I think that barrel over there used to be cider, if someone prefers that?" 

It is good to have a guildhall again. :) 

• Like 5

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Lifting should be a pleasure. 

For sure. I started lifting because my knees were in bad shape and someone told me squatting heavy would fix them. It has, for the most part, but what I was most surprised about was how much I grew to like lifting for its own sake. 

15 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Didn't we all?

image.png.0f87365d6866a880db923f3c36adccf6.png

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

It is good to have a guildhall again. :) 

Welcome home, Scaly.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sepherina said:

3 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Didn't we all?

image.png.0f87365d6866a880db923f3c36adccf6.png

Yes we did. 

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

I keep meaning to go to the gym then finding I don't manage to fit it into the day and my energy/time budget. But I can go tomorrow. Tomorrow is nice and unscheduled. The gym bag is already packed and I set a calendar date. I'm going to come back here and edit this post to say that I went to the gym. I'm thinking squat bench row. 

EDIT: I WENT TO THE GYM. I did squats and bench, but then I finally realised what those annoying plates are for, the ones I have to swing out of the way before I can use the rack. They're to stand on, for short people to better reach the built in pull up bars. So instead of rows I did some dead hangs. The first baby step in a journey to pull ups, I hope, some day, far in the distant future. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

I did make leg day today. Focused mostly on quads and bodyweight squats since the knees have been a bit whiny the last two days.  Hoping this is a short term ache and I can go back to my regular routine next week. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Squats and deadlifts scheduled for tonight. This is my shortest workout of the week and I'm always tempted to do more. But I've been getting good results by following this plan, so I'm really trying not to mess with it too much. And I figure it's never a bad thing when I leave the "gym" (my basement) wanting more.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

16 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

And I figure it's never a bad thing when I leave the "gym" (my basement) wanting more.

Agreed! We have to build the love of lifting. Then the lifting, and the results, will follow. That's my hope, anyway.

• Like 2

My Facebook Marketplace is flooded with gym equipment right now. It seems awfully early for so many people to be giving up on fitness goals -  but perhaps these are the remnants of past years' resolutions and their new resolution is to clear out stuff they aren't using. Either way, I am very tempted by a lot of it. I thought about raising the idea of a rack with my father again, but I don't think enough time has passed yet since he asked me to stop putting more equipment in the basement. I did message a guy about plates though, since that's not really going to take up additional space. It's 510 pounds plus weight storage for $400 USD. That's a lot more weight than I need, but it's such a good deal, and I figure there's no such thing as too many plates.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

My Facebook Marketplace is flooded with gym equipment right now. It seems awfully early for so many people to be giving up on fitness goals -  but perhaps these are the remnants of past years' resolutions and their new resolution is to clear out stuff they aren't using. Either way, I am very tempted by a lot of it. I thought about raising the idea of a rack with my father again, but I don't think enough time has passed yet since he asked me to stop putting more equipment in the basement. I did message a guy about plates though, since that's not really going to take up additional space. It's 510 pounds plus weight storage for $400 USD. That's a lot more weight than I need, but it's such a good deal, and I figure there's no such thing as too many plates.

Lots and lots and lots of layoffs going on right now, too, so a lot of people are going to be selling stuff just to make some money. And lots of financial goals in January, too :)

Worth taking up the deal!

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
30 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Lots and lots and lots of layoffs going on right now, too, so a lot of people are going to be selling stuff just to make some money. And lots of financial goals in January, too :)

Worth taking up the deal!

Ah, that's a good point. I've been haunting it for a while now without really finding what I was looking for, and then it seemed like overnight I wanted everything! 

He's confirmed they are still available, I said I wanted them and proposed a pick up date, waiting to hear back from him. But it looks promising!

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 9:32 PM, Artemis Prime said:

Neato! What kind of plates? I want to have my own lifting equipment when I move house (currently in an apartment, using a gym) but there are different kinds. The coated ones with holes in them for gripping are ugly but they sure are useful. 

Did lifting yesterday. Very tiny deadlift, OHP and deadhangs. Didn't want to go out (it's unreasonably cold here) but reminded myself that I want to sleep well. And I did sleep well. Amazing. Imagine just... falling asleep and then waking up in the morning. Between the lifting, yoga, and walks, my muscle and joint pain has also gone down a lot. Lifting is self-care, I tell you, it's wellness. 

• Like 5

On 1/14/2024 at 3:08 AM, Harriet said:

Lifting is self-care, I tell you, it's wellness. 

It 100% is.

Was proud of myself yesterday for getting my workout in. I wanted to start it, but it's my long workout for the week and I didn't think I'd have time to get it all in before I had to go let my horse out of his stall. But I was afraid if I postponed it, I'd end up not doing it at all. So I started it, got squats and OHP done,, then paused to go do outside chores. Since I was all bundled up for the cold, I decided to go ahead and run an errand I was tempted to procrastinate on.  Then I got home, changed back into workout gear, and finished my deadlifts and accessories. Imagine, folks, you can just...make your workout fit your lifestyle and schedule. You are allowed to hit pause and pick it back up again later. It's like magic, I tell you.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Hurray and soo proud of you. Keeping the momentum is soo hard sometimes. (As is crawling out of the warm blankets to go out in the cold)

Cats Cuddle GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Started my Xena rewatch last night. And first off, it is so gloriously terrible and campy and I love it with every fiber of my being. But secondly, what struck me more than my previous viewings is Xena's sheer excitement when she's about to fight. Isn't that what we are pursuing as warriors? The joy of battle and the thrill of the iron? 

life impact GIF

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

20 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

It 100% is.

Was proud of myself yesterday for getting my workout in. I wanted to start it, but it's my long workout for the week and I didn't think I'd have time to get it all in before I had to go let my horse out of his stall. But I was afraid if I postponed it, I'd end up not doing it at all. So I started it, got squats and OHP done,, then paused to go do outside chores. Since I was all bundled up for the cold, I decided to go ahead and run an errand I was tempted to procrastinate on.  Then I got home, changed back into workout gear, and finished my deadlifts and accessories. Imagine, folks, you can just...make your workout fit your lifestyle and schedule. You are allowed to hit pause and pick it back up again later. It's like magic, I tell you.

Looking good! 

I also lifted yesterday. I was happy to go (having a SUPER warm jacket really helps with the leaving-the-house part). I only did enough to hit that pleasantly hard point without getting exhausted, then I went home. Got a couple more reps in than last time, nothing special (except the sensation of it being hard-for-me).

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Started my Xena rewatch last night. And first off, it is so gloriously terrible and campy and I love it with every fiber of my being. But secondly, what struck me more than my previous viewings is Xena's sheer excitement when she's about to fight. Isn't that what we are pursuing as warriors? The joy of battle and the thrill of the iron? 

life impact GIF

A little bit of thrill does us good. ❤️ 

• That's Metal 3

Made it the gym tonight before my brain protested and convinced me that the house is warm and that hibernation would be better. Glad I went 

• That's Metal 4

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:17 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Isn't that what we are pursuing as warriors? The joy of battle and the thrill of the iron? 

At a minimum, we strive for enjoyment in all we do. Xena is a warrior, and genuinely enjoys every aspect of her vocation. We should all be so lucky. :) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

On 1/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, Harriet said:

I only did enough to hit that pleasantly hard point without getting exhausted,

That is the perfect point to hit on a workout.

14 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Made it the gym tonight before my brain protested and convinced me that the house is warm and that hibernation would be better. Glad I went 

Great job! Sometimes our brains don't know what they're talking about. It's one of the things I love about lifting - it quiets my brain down for a while.

• Like 3