Forums are back in action! ×

15 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Made it the gym tonight before my brain protested and convinced me that the house is warm and that hibernation would be better. Glad I went 

Excellent work. I also got out, with the help of a giant fluffy coat that laughs at the snow.

Did little deadlifts, OHP and dead hangs. Trying to focus on enjoyment and hitting the right level of exertion instead of on numbers and progress. 

• Like 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 1/19/2024 at 9:51 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Great job! Sometimes our brains don't know what they're talking about. It's one of the things I love about lifting - it quiets my brain down for a while

Yeah silly brains. 

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent work. I also got out, with the help of a giant fluffy coat that laughs at the snow.

Did little deadlifts, OHP and dead hangs. Trying to focus on enjoyment and hitting the right level of exertion instead of on numbers and progress. 

Hurray! OHP?  Overhead Presses?

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

23 minutes ago, Sepherina said:

Hurray! OHP?  Overhead Presses?

Exactly. Tiny little overhead presses with the tiniest 1.25kg plates on the bar.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Exactly. Tiny little overhead presses with the tiniest 1.25kg plates on the bar.

Every little bit counts!

• That's Metal 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

20 minutes ago, Sepherina said:

Every little bit counts!

Well yes. I hope it will eventually lead to great weights. But I cannot approach heavy weights directly, for they will flee (or rather, I will crash and quit lifting for weeks or months at a time). I must sidle up to them gradually, through the roundabout route of wellness, love and consistency. Then shall I capture them. The 22.5kg OHPs were done lovingly, and with enjoyment, and for that reason further OHPs are in my future. 

• Like 5

Sneaking Elmer Fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

• Like 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Saturday was 1rm test day for deadlift and I got a PR! And finally figured out why they say DL is taxing on your central nervous system. My back and legs were ready to keep going, but my brain noped out hard.

• That's Metal 5

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

44 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Saturday was 1rm test day for deadlift and I got a PR! And finally figured out why they say DL is taxing on your central nervous system. My back and legs were ready to keep going, but my brain noped out hard.

DL PR! Noice! That must have been satisfying. Yes I think your brain can abort deadlifts if it feels the lift is a Nope. It's surprising but I just involuntarily put the bar back down very early in the lift. Like a deadlift off switch. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 11:11 AM, Harriet said:

It's surprising but I just involuntarily put the bar back down very early in the lift. Like a deadlift off switch. 

Huh, that's interesting. I didn't even make it that far. I put down the weight, thought I could probably add some weight and go again. Sat down to recover a little before trying it and suddenly realized I could not, in fact, go again.

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

6 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Huh, that's interesting. I didn't even make it that far. I put down the weight, thought I could probably add some weight and go again. Sat down to recover a little before trying it and suddenly realized I could not, in fact, go again.

Oh I've also had that, where my brain hits the kill switch on my muscles before we even get off the ground. For is it not said that there a many ways to fail a deadlift?

• Like 1

Made my 3 nights this week to the gym as well as several walks with Maple. WINNING!  ? But man am I sore.  Monday was fine with an all body day, but Tuesday I killed my entire lower body ?.  But it was good…I can still walk.  Tonight was an upper day, and while I did feel tired on some things, the push sled was definitely easier on the warmup. The next few days are rest days and then back at it again. 

xena GIF

• That's Metal 6

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:56 AM, Sepherina said:

Made my 3 nights this week to the gym as well as several walks with Maple. WINNING!  ? But man am I sore.  Monday was fine with an all body day, but Tuesday I killed my entire lower body ?.  But it was good…I can still walk.  Tonight was an upper day, and while I did feel tired on some things, the push sled was definitely easier on the warmup. The next few days are rest days and then back at it again. 

xena GIF

3 Gyms is a good score for the week. And who needs to be able to walk? Or lower themselves onto chairs? No one! It's a totally unnecessary luxury.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Or lower themselves onto chairs? No one! It's a totally unnecessary luxury.

Respectfully, the porcelain chair in the bathroom could be considered a necessity.... 

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

18 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Respectfully, the porcelain chair in the bathroom could be considered a necessity.... 

LUXURY, I SAY! When I was in the war, we evacuated the contents of our bladders and bowels standing up! Every time a nearby fireball spell exploded, in fact! Which was all the time! It was hell! Literally one of the infernal planes! I, personally, was killed and eaten by a fire salamander!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Made it to class tonight at the gym and one of the trainers is trying to convince the owner to hold a powerlifting meet.  They have a team and I haven’t really expressed interest in it mostly because my goals have been to just get stronger.  However the trainer tonight did asked if I would be interested.  Honestly I want to try but I am very intimated by the whole thing.  I am a slim/petite woman with little muscle and I am a total newbie in all lifts/presses. I just got to bench pressing in the last few months. I have a prior shoulder/neck injury (not lifting related) that required 18 months of physical therapy and lots of form prep before I could even start pressing the bar.  I still have some mild discomfort some days which slows my ability to increase the weight (mostly in the left tricep). It also makes pressing the bar up evenly hard because the left side is weaker than the right. It is very noticeable anytime I am moving a heavier weight.

I guess what I am saying is I don’t know where to go here.  I don’t want to embarrass myself with a really low weight on all the bench press (55 pounds), and I also know pushing too hard on this could very easily set me back bad. But I really like lifting and it makes me happy….just not sure if I am ready to compete.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Do you want to compete? To me, that would be the most important consideration. If the answer is yes, work with your body and figure out how to lift successfully, while respecting the old injury and taking care not to aggravate it. If the answer is no, you have a ready-made and perfectly valid excuse right there in your shoulder.

Either way... my suggestion is to start by deciding what it is you want to do. :) 

• Like 6

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Do you want to compete? To me, that would be the most important consideration. If the answer is yes, work with your body and figure out how to lift successfully, while respecting the old injury and taking care not to aggravate it. If the answer is no, you have a ready-made and perfectly valid excuse right there in your shoulder.

Either way... my suggestion is to start by deciding what it is you want to do. :) 

This is a good way to think about it.  I am on the fence but leaning more towards no. Thank you for putting some perspective around my ramble.

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

2 hours ago, Sepherina said:

This is a good way to think about it.  I am on the fence but leaning more towards no. Thank you for putting some perspective around my ramble.

Sounds like you have your answer, then, but if it is something that interests you, you could always ask about participating in their training without planning to be part of the competitions.

• Like 2

Started a new training block yesterday with Bulgarian Split Squats. Wasn't sure what to use for my 1rm to figure out my weight, so I just chopped my squat 1rm in half. Which means I am currently pressing more than I am squatting, which is kind of funny, but my legs are letting me know that they definitely worked last night.

• Like 4

I don't think I like Bulgarian Split Squats. Also, every time I type them I question myself on whether it's Belgian or Bulgarian. Either way, I'm going to try to finish out the training block with them, but they will not be staying in for the next one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I don't think I like Bulgarian Split Squats. Also, every time I type them I question myself on whether it's Belgian or Bulgarian. Either way, I'm going to try to finish out the training block with them, but they will not be staying in for the next one.

Mmm, Belgian split squats. It's a split squat but presumably with waffles. Or chocolate. Or beer. Or something else that the Belgians make. Not to be confused with kettlebelgian goblet squats, which involve both waffles and goblets full of mulled wine (because what else would you put in a goblet).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Belgian split squats sound so much better than Bulgarian. Possibly with a rotation of waffles, chocolate, and beer because it's important to keep some variation in your workouts.

• Like 3

I sort of have a love/hate thing with Bulgarian Split Squats. One legged squats build my hip strength, but they are so tough. I would definitely like them more if there were waffles involved.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 2/1/2024 at 11:05 AM, Artemis Prime said:

I despise Bulgarians Spilt squats. I always always die doing them and hurt for days. 

I would also go for waffles though.  

Breakfast Feels GIF by DreamWorks Animation

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5