Forums are back in action! ×

Challenge YOUR body image.

#7. Totally had this happen to me while on vacation. Tried to climb the steep side of the Great Wall. And couldn't. I cried as I walked (slid on my butt) down because I was so frustrated with myself for not being able to do it and somewhat keep up with my group. But I did remind myself that I've been working my ass off for the last year and I most likely did more than I would have been able to do a year ago.

My weird mental image of myself has also flared up again. My friends have started posting pictures of the trip and I see myself and go "OMG, I'm not really that big am I?" Go and look in the mirror and say "I look smaller than the pictures, but it's only been a week and I haven't stepped foot in the gym for three!" (yesterday was the first day in 3 weeks. Week leading up didn't go, then didn't go for a week and half while on vacation, and have been nursing myself back to health for the week after because I got really sick during vacation). Honestly, I just don't get how I can look at pictures and think of myself as a whale, but then 2 seconds later look in the mirror and think that I don't look that big...

• Like 2

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

#7. Totally had this happen to me while on vacation. Tried to climb the steep side of the Great Wall. And couldn't. I cried as I walked (slid on my butt) down because I was so frustrated with myself for not being able to do it and somewhat keep up with my group. But I did remind myself that I've been working my ass off for the last year and I most likely did more than I would have been able to do a year ago.

My weird mental image of myself has also flared up again. My friends have started posting pictures of the trip and I see myself and go "OMG, I'm not really that big am I?" Go and look in the mirror and say "I look smaller than the pictures, but it's only been a week and I haven't stepped foot in the gym for three!" (yesterday was the first day in 3 weeks. Week leading up didn't go, then didn't go for a week and half while on vacation, and have been nursing myself back to health for the week after because I got really sick during vacation). Honestly, I just don't get how I can look at pictures and think of myself as a whale, but then 2 seconds later look in the mirror and think that I don't look that big...

Are you comparing yourself to other people in the pictures? 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

My guess is that the photos are candid or action shots, which are not flattering 95% of the time.Now you may have only looked like that for a fraction of a second but cameras seem to have a knack for catching that fraction best.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Are you comparing yourself to other people in the pictures? 

No, just comparing myself with my mental image.

My guess is that the photos are candid or action shots, which are not flattering 95% of the time.Now you may have only looked like that for a fraction of a second but cameras seem to have a knack for catching that fraction best.

It's possible. A lot of them were groupies (aka group selfies) that started as "hey! come here! we need a quick picture of everyone!" But some of them were posed. Maybe it was just the pants, they are a lighter color than most of the jeans I own, so not hiding everything as much? I dunno. I've just stopped looking at those and only looking at the ones I like :)

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Ugh! This. Is. Awful.

Like, I have 0 (as in ZERO) actual concept of how I look. Does this ever go away?

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I sure hope so! I am so sick of mentally seeing myself either smaller or bigger than I actually am.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Ugh! This. Is. Awful.

Like, I have 0 (as in ZERO) actual concept of how I look. Does this ever go away?

Good question!

I just want to know when I am going to buy clothes that are the size I am. They seem okay in the store and a week later my husband says "why is that hanging off your butt?"

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I sure hope so! I am so sick of mentally seeing myself either smaller or bigger than I actually am.

And that whole vanity sizing thing, just totally throws me off!!! It's like "wow, let's take an already persistent problem and make it infinitely worse by telling me now I am a size 2/3/4 whatever!!!" Although, once I'm not "plus size" anymore, I do tend to have the issue of wearing clothes that are too big and I wear them till they fall off, bc they are comfy and familiar and I have learned to love them. I actually cried when I got rid of my favorite pj shorts that I had for about 7 years...bc I had no idea what size I needed or where to get new ones!!!! 

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Ugh! I hate vanity sizing! And then they can't even make something the same size within a brand. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to buy new jeans, walked in, grabbed the same brand, cut, and size in 3 pairs and put at least one back because it was much smaller and didn't fit. Way to make shopping even more difficult.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I was just talking to my husband about feeling like I am developing some sort of body issues and needing to not weigh myself for a good long while and also stop looking at myself in the mirror with such a critical eye. I made it through my teens and twenties without having any of the common "I don't like how I look" thoughts that a lot of young people have, through my late twenties and most of thirties heavier but still feeling decent about myself, but now that I've lost weight and am healthier I find myself being way more critical about my body. It's so much easier for me to see the parts that need work than to appreciate what already looks/works good/well. I feel like it's ridiculous to be almost 39 and develop this problem but there it is.

• Like 2

MFP

I was just talking to my husband about feeling like I am developing some sort of body issues and needing to not weigh myself for a good long while and also stop looking at myself in the mirror with such a critical eye. I made it through my teens and twenties without having any of the common "I don't like how I look" thoughts that a lot of young people have, through my late twenties and most of thirties heavier but still feeling decent about myself, but now that I've lost weight and am healthier I find myself being way more critical about my body. It's so much easier for me to see the parts that need work than to appreciate what already looks/works good/well. I feel like it's ridiculous to be almost 39 and develop this problem but there it is.

They're hard to deal with. With the whole working towards weight loss and the 'body I want' part of it, it's hard to figure out what's going on because people aren't perfect. There will ALWAYS be something to 'fix' because of it and it's hard not to think of it. I'm jumping into the confusing world of recomp and when I find myself focusing on certain looks/measurements too much I try to disassociate it with what I think it means. A lb lighter on the scale does NOT mean that I'm better looking. An inch less on the legs are NOT going to turn me into Adriana Lima. Regroup and focus on the the wonderful things your body can do, especially recent things (PRs, woot!). Shifting my focus from looks to actions helps keep those thoughts in check for me and works pretty well considering my rocky past with body image. It still busies my mind using numbers (I really don't know why I'm so hung up on numbers!) but I feel it does refocus my energy and drive in a healthier manner.

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

woah. .... my neck my shoulders my COLLAR BONES. ... i saw this and was like damn I'm FINE

11013409_10204946385794282_2482421238807

• Like 11

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Got dunked  today. Turns out  I'm ~5% lower body fat than I thought I was... I certainly don't look like the pictures of  other  people who are at my level. The best part about it was learning that my current lean mass is greater than my total weight  5 years ago. Here's to muscle!

ig8CyyffkG8SN.gif

• Like 5

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Got dunked  today. Turns out  I'm ~5% lower body fat than I thought I was... I certainly don't look like the pictures of  other  people who are at my level. The best part about it was learning that my current lean mass is greater than my total weight  5 years ago. Here's to muscle!

ig8CyyffkG8SN.gif

Woot!  I"m totally confused by the body fat % pics too.  I look like a cross between 8% and 20%.  

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

so 15% bodyfat

I have no clue what % I am all I know is that if you look at me straight on I look huge however if I turn sideways I disappear, basically a 2x4

I am your opposite. Straight on I look smaller than I do sideways. Bodies are funny like that. I run my numbers through a bunch of formulas on a monthly basis and end up with 20-26% in recent months. My guess is that I am around 26%. Those body fat pictures never really reflect my body type as I have one specific place with a lot of fat rather than having my excess fat spread out proportionally the way it is on the models.

• Like 2

MFP

Can I just say how much I love you guys!!!!

I'm not trawling through all of that again to find the bits that I wanted to quote (but for some reason my iPad lost...) so I'll just leave a couple of comments here.

Jenn - TOTALLY AWESOMMMMMEEE!!!!!!

Silo - HOLY FREAKING HOTNESS!!!

Randmart - nailing it with the links again boy. ;)

That is all. Carry on

Ps. Especially love all you pervy gits. :P

• Like 5

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

WHAT?????? Since when?!?! And why don't I know about this?!!! Where are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guzzi long time no speak. I hope you are well.

I was thinking of you yesterday when i was at the superbike event at Snetterton, my company sponsors the Tyco BMW team so i had a VIP day with the team and support staff.

• Like 1

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

I was thinking of you yesterday when i was at the superbike event at Snetterton, my company sponsors the Tyco BMW team so i had a VIP day with the team and support staff.

I used to like you... :angry:

#jealousy

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Long time no speak indeed. How are you doing mate? Did you know I'm up in Shetland these days? Just hanging out with the ponies, lol!

Long time no speak indeed. How are you doing mate? Did you know I'm up in Shetland these days? Just hanging out with the ponies, lol!

Sounds great.

I was up in Scotland not so long ago, my SIL & BIL have moved to the Isle of Bute.

I missed several months on here as my wifes brother developed and died of cancer over an eight month period, he wasa very close friend of mine, indeed I have changed gyms because we spent a lot of time together at the old one and for me it had a sad atmosphere.

Any away from the morbid stuff i noticed a BF mentioned in a post hmmm.

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.