Forums are back in action! ×

For the longest time I tried keeping a blog (and probably still will) but it never really kept me accountable for writing every day.  So I reached out to my FB network and basically asked people who were interested to help keep me accountable.  I'm writing every single morning and sending it out by e-mail to whomever is interested in following along. 

Fuck my fear.  Fuck my uncertainty.  Fuck it all.  I am becoming a writer.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Zahirah said:

For the longest time I tried keeping a blog (and probably still will) but it never really kept me accountable for writing every day.  So I reached out to my FB network and basically asked people who were interested to help keep me accountable.  I'm writing every single morning and sending it out by e-mail to whomever is interested in following along. 

Fuck my fear.  Fuck my uncertainty.  Fuck it all.  I am becoming a writer.

Like like like! <3

Danyellcharulzsummers@gmail.com, if you don't mind.

You want proofreading and feedback, or just to know someone will read it,

and poke you (gently) if you don't?

• Like 2

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

On 5/6/2016 at 9:22 PM, Fearkiller said:

Like like like! <3

Danyellcharulzsummers@gmail.com, if you don't mind.

You want proofreading and feedback, or just to know someone will read it,

and poke you (gently) if you don't?

Yay!  Accountability is the most important thing to me at the moment.  Feedback is ALWAYS welcome, but definitely don't feel obligated to do so. <3

• Like 2

Hey Kids,

Sorry I haven't posted a challenge for our little group lately, to be honest I've got a lot on my plate.

Saying that, what are YOUR writing goals for...

1. Today?

2. This week?

3. This month?

Me: 1. Try and organize the mass of random bits of paper with scribbles on them into separate projects.

2. Really WORK on the poem I'm trying to write for my GF.

3. Have a rough draft of "A Troll by any other Name" done (story requested by publisher).

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

16 hours ago, petefeet said:

1. Today?

2. This week?

3. This month?

Hmm. Finish at least one script I'm working on for r/Gonewildaudio  (An erotic audio subreddit)

Like you, I'm writing here and there, scribbling all over the place. Because I'm just starting and excited :D

And I'm afraid that if I don't write something down, when I think of it right then and there, 

I'm not going to remember it exactly like that ever again.

The current one is a mix of story, dialogue, first person narrative and some screenplay elements.

Mostly clarifying how something is meant to sound when recorded, tones of voice and such.

It's about one sexy evening between a husband and a wife.

Who would've thought she'd enjoy her light femdom quite that much.. ;)

(I may, or may not want to be the husband in question..)

Working title is either "There is just that special something about a woman in a full black suit" 

or "Shhh, darling"

(respectful)..  ma'am.

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

17 hours ago, petefeet said:

Hey Kids,

Sorry I haven't posted a challenge for our little group lately, to be honest I've got a lot on my plate.

1. Today?

2. This week?

3. This month?

Me: 1. Try and organize the mass of random bits of paper with scribbles on them into separate projects.

2. Really WORK on the poem I'm trying to write for my GF.

3. Have a rough draft of "A Troll by any other Name" done (story requested by publisher).

1.  Write every single day for 365 days.

2.  Write every single day for 365 days.

3.  Write every single day for 365 days.

• Like 2
On 9.5.2016 at 9:52 AM, Zahirah said:

1.  Write every single day for 365 days.

2.  Write every single day for 365 days.

3.  Write every single day for 365 days.

When you get the 365, just keep going!

456/365 would look so badass!

But I'd say that when you stop counting, 'cos you're writing anyway..

That's the day.

• Like 3

So I have a question for all you experienced writers out there. 

How do you write a decent "training montage"?  I need to get my character trained, but I don't want to spend a ton of time on it, as it doesn't really add much to the overall story.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

On 5/8/2016 at 7:10 AM, petefeet said:

Hey Kids,

1. Today?

2. This week?

3. This month?

Just ran across this thread and thought I'd pop in! I think I'm a bit of an oddball here in that I actually write non-fiction (primarily fitness-related content), but I'll post anyway.

Goals for the week - finish scheduling out the next month's worth of posts on my website. Just about done with this, actually.

Goals for the month - start putting together a second ebook. I just released my first via Amazon and it has done surprisingly well (60 Quick Gymless Workouts), so I'm thinking it's worth turning it into a series.

• Like 2

Owner/Coach @ Gymless Fitness

My Do Whatever, Whenever Log

"Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change." -Drizzt Do'Urden

12 hours ago, GymlessRanger said:

Just ran across this thread and thought I'd pop in! I think I'm a bit of an oddball here in that I actually write non-fiction (primarily fitness-related content), but I'll post anyway.

Goals for the week - finish scheduling out the next month's worth of posts on my website. Just about done with this, actually.

Goals for the month - start putting together a second ebook. I just released my first via Amazon and it has done surprisingly well (60 Quick Gymless Workouts), so I'm thinking it's worth turning it into a series.

Dude, your book looks awesome!  Have you considered making it into a mobile app?

Having a bad writing day.

What do you do on those days?

I feel like I could write, but then when I do,

I'm just churning out shit.

The text is terrible. I'm just not getting it right.

Not even that much it could be worked on later.

What do you do with days like that?

But maybe more importantly,

how do you catch what were you meaning

when you stopped?

How do you find again where the story is going?

On May 11, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Oramac said:

So I have a question for all you experienced writers out there. 

How do you write a decent "training montage"?  I need to get my character trained, but I don't want to spend a ton of time on it, as it doesn't really add much to the overall story.  

Hmm, interesting question. It depends wher it's happening. Is there anything else happening during it to focus on, or is it kind of a break in the whole plot until training is done?

If the first, it can just be mentioned in other scenes "sorry I'm late, training went long today" etc.

If the second, it could be like "she expected the training to be as dull as it was grueling. She was correct. But it was worth it if it meant a shot at..." That' the approach I'd take I think :)

• Like 1

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

On 5/13/2016 at 5:55 PM, Kilyra said:

Hmm, interesting question. It depends wher it's happening. Is there anything else happening during it to focus on, or is it kind of a break in the whole plot until training is done?

If the first, it can just be mentioned in other scenes "sorry I'm late, training went long today" etc.

If the second, it could be like "she expected the training to be as dull as it was grueling. She was correct. But it was worth it if it meant a shot at..." That' the approach I'd take I think :)

Good idea!  I'll probably go with some variation of the second option.  Thanks! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm apparently posing in all of the Writerley threads here on NF... howdy!  On the hunt for Accountabilibuddies to actually help kick my ass and remind me to write more.  I just completed the first post-secondary course I've ever taken because I WANTED to, English 206, "Fiction & Novel Writing".  I had a lot of fun, despite hating the story I ended up handing in and the whole process involved with writing it (I apparently don't do well with constraints mixed with procrastination). My professor said that I had novels in me and I'd better publish something while I'm still local enough to come in and talk about the process. 

I like to write... I just need to be distraction-free to do it.  I can bash out 2000 words on my laptop while I'm at my kids' MMA classes, because there's no WiFi there, but I can barely do 1000 words in an evening at home because I'm just a hop, skip and an alt-tab away from Facebook and various twitchy forms of instant gratification.  Screw that.  I wanna write a book.   

• Like 2

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

6 hours ago, Thrillho said:

I'm apparently posing in all of the Writerley threads here on NF... howdy!  On the hunt for Accountabilibuddies to actually help kick my ass and remind me to write more.  I just completed the first post-secondary course I've ever taken because I WANTED to, English 206, "Fiction & Novel Writing".  I had a lot of fun, despite hating the story I ended up handing in and the whole process involved with writing it (I apparently don't do well with constraints mixed with procrastination). My professor said that I had novels in me and I'd better publish something while I'm still local enough to come in and talk about the process. 

I like to write... I just need to be distraction-free to do it.  I can bash out 2000 words on my laptop while I'm at my kids' MMA classes, because there's no WiFi there, but I can barely do 1000 words in an evening at home because I'm just a hop, skip and an alt-tab away from Facebook and various twitchy forms of instant gratification.  Screw that.  I wanna write a book.   

For Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/fi/firefox/addon/leechblock/

What it does is blocking predetermined list of urls. Like this

f2913016.png:

Every time that came up I just smiled and thought "Gotcha, bastard.." :D

• Like 1

Oh this is so cool! I didn't know this was a thing here! Are there other writer threads on NF? Is there a writing challenge this time around?

• Like 1

Shrilaraune

Assassin + Monk + Druid= Sage | Level 4

|| STR 8 || DEX 6 || STA 7 || CON 7 || WIS 10 || CHA 1 ||

"The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place.

Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go." - Henry Rollins

|| My Story || Battle Log || Epic Quest ||

|| Challenges: Current4, 32, 1 ||

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

"Don't hate your body. It's just trying to keep you alive." - Starsapart

On 17.5.2016 at 7:24 AM, Thrillho said:

Oh, I already have leechblock.  The problem is I can so easily turn it back off. It helps at work though.

Wasn't there an option to password block a set?  You can have someone else do it..

Or couldn't you remove access to the options page during one?

Maybe you could have the password be something like

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone". (Pablo Picasso)

:P

On 17.5.2016 at 7:27 AM, Shrilaraune said:

Oh this is so cool! I didn't know this was a thing here! Are there other writer threads on NF? Is there a writing challenge this time around?

I don't know about a writing challenge, but the possibility is interesting!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Maybe you could have the password be something like

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone. (Pablo Picasso)

You jest, but this is a legitimate way to prevent yourself changing the settings.  I.E. making the password so fucking ridiculously convoluted that it's too big a pain in the ass to type it in.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

That was my old method, but it's a browser add-on.  Just go to add-ons and turn it off.  Doesn't matter what the password is.

These are all silly work-arounds that don't address my generaltotal lack of discipline, which is why I was looking for a Buddy on here to race wordcounts with. Also I should probably just focus to do my writing ON my laptop, where I can just turn the wifi off completely with one button and do the whole thing in Word. I can write chunks at work and just e-mail it to myself to be inserted at a later date. 

Yes, I'm just thinking out loud here. :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thrillho said:

These are all silly work-arounds that don't address my generaltotal lack of discipline, which is why I was looking for a Buddy on here to race wordcounts with. Also I should probably just focus to do my writing ON my laptop, where I can just turn the wifi off completely with one button and do the whole thing in Word. I can write chunks at work and just e-mail it to myself to be inserted at a later date. 

Yes, I'm just thinking out loud here. :)

I keep mine on a jump drive and just write it whenever I'm on a computer with a USB port.  Could be a simpler way to keep it with you and also allow you to work when you don't have distractions. 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

On 5/17/2016 at 11:14 AM, Thrillho said:

These are all silly work-arounds that don't address my general total lack of discipline, which is why I was looking for a Buddy on here to race wordcounts with.

I'm in! :)  Pistols at dawn? Err-- time and place?

Wordsprints (short timed events), Daily counts, Weekly counts, Who-can-finish-a-novel-draft-fastest counts? The possibilities are endless! ;) Although to be fair I'm trying to focus on getting drafts of short stories done, so the novel length races aren't my forte.

• Like 2

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

Oh, I don't need novel-length races.... daily wordcounts for anything are fine since I'm working on eleventy jillion things at once.  That's my cursespecialty.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thrillho said:

Oh, I don't need novel-length races.... daily wordcounts for anything are fine since I'm working on eleventy jillion things at once.  That's my cursespecialty.

I know that feels! *eyes her nine thousand works-in-progress) ...Okay lemme go grab the templates and whatnot I have left over from my last writing-challenge-running-adventure and I'll put up something official-ish looking under a new thread (so we don't spam this one :lol:). Daily prompts, weekly goals, I got a little of everything in my knapsack! :D

• Like 2

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!