Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings!  My name is Phil, and before we get too far into why I’m here, I must declare my nerd-doms.

I am not a nerd in the traditional sense in that I am not particularly fond of high fantasy (I saw the first Lord of the Rings movie, only once), I don’t play video games, I’ve never been to a comic con, and I don’t collect comic books.

Instead, I guarantee I am one of the most unique nerds you’ll encounter.  I am a HUGE horror nerd and an even BIGGER Disnerd.  Not a combo you see too often…

Anyway, here’s my “About Me”:

I’m 6’5” and, as of this past Sunday (12/3/17), I weighed in at 401 lbs.  As of this writing (12/6/17), I’m 43 years old.  I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol (both of which are currently controlled by meds) and at 39 years old, I had a heart attack.  The morbid obesity and extra weight wreak havoc on my joints, my back and my mind.

Like most of us, I’ve tried starting, quitting, starting again, and repeat, with varying levels of success.  My best success was on Weight Watchers and Planet Fitness (no free weights yet.)  I know WW gets frowned upon ‘round these parts, but they’ve overhauled their program drastically and activity is a major part of it now.  I continue to be enrolled (if nothing else, for consistent weight tracking, and hey, my employer pays for it, so, BONUS!) and I’m here to find that missing piece: a support system that can relate to me.

I read an article here on NF talking about how we shouldn’t compare ourselves to others, or aspire to be like them.  Well, I’m going to do that now.  I want to be like Hafthor Bjornsson (for those who may not know, he plays Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane on Game of Thrones.)  I like the “strongman” look, wide, not a wild amount of definition, no six pack abs (more like a keg), but the dude can pick up a car.  As such, I’ve already enrolled as a Warrior.  First things first though.  I HAVE to lose some of this weight.

On a more personal level, aside from horror and Disney, I love to draw (see my Instagram), in fact the inspiration for my handle and my profile pic are from a sketchbook doodle I did.  I made this iron-clad warrior with a ridiculously oversized sword and decided his name should be Pyndyr the Unforgiving.  Since I’m going the route of the Warrior, I thought he would be an apt analog for me.

I have a wonderful son, an amazing fiancée, and I work at a hospital doing operations analysis for a transplant clinic in New Mexico.  Aside from that, I look forward to working out with y’all and sharing this amazing transformation!

• Like 1

"We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw.  Does that sound... 'fine'?"

My Battle Log

2 hours ago, Pyndyr, the Unforgiving said:

Like most of us, I’ve tried starting, quitting, starting again, and repeat, with varying levels of success.  My best success was on Weight Watchers and Planet Fitness (no free weights yet.)  I know WW gets frowned upon ‘round these parts, but they’ve overhauled their program drastically and activity is a major part of it now.  I continue to be enrolled (if nothing else, for consistent weight tracking, and hey, my employer pays for it, so, BONUS!) and I’m here to find that missing piece: a support system that can relate to me.

Hey welcome Pyndyr! There's a great crew of nerds here and I'm sure you'll fit in fine. If anyone gives you crap about WW, be very careful. Sometimes when I give haters a much deserved face-shanking, my hand can slip on their blood and I risk cutting myself. So use good form and try to eventually get a hater-stabbing device with a hand guard; safety first!

Oh, but seriously, we're about halfway through a 4-week challenge right now. They're easily the best part of the rebellion, and you're more than welcome to join late. 

• Like 2

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

we're about halfway through a 4-week challenge right now. They're easily the best part of the rebellion, and you're more than welcome to join late. 

Yes! I did see those challenges and look forward to joining one after the winter break. Just gotta get my feet under me first.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Battle Log

Sometimes when I give haters a much deserved face-shanking, my hand can slip on their blood and I risk cutting myself. So use good form and try to eventually get a hater-stabbing device with a hand guard; safety first!

Do you think this is something a chalk bag would help with? :D

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Battle Log

3 hours ago, Laghail said:

If anyone gives you crap about WW, be very careful. Sometimes when I give haters a much deserved face-shanking, my hand can slip on their blood and I risk cutting myself. So use good form and try to eventually get a hater-stabbing device with a hand guard; safety first!

I'm going to like your post simply for this outstanding piece of safety advice.

@Pyndyr, the Unforgiving, welcome to the Rebellion! There is a big difference between comparing ourselves to others, and looking to someone as a role model and inspiration. The latter is a good thing! You know where you want to your fitness journey to take you, congratulations on that!

This is a great little community. You'll fit right in. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI