Forums are back in action! ×

Hard not to take into consideration weight fluctuation, sometimes..

Sinuosette

I know weight is not that important and I am not aiming to lose X amount of weight, but I do have to shed a little body fat (still need to figure out how much...), but when I see my scale going from 62kg to below 58kg and then back to almost 61 all in one months, it does has its effect on my brain and motivation.

I have been eating clean for a month with very rare exceptions: no sweets, no sodas, no pasta/pizza (my italian family would think I'm crazy). I increased my water consumption from a tiny bottle to 2 liters. So i wonder..what the hell is going on in my body that makes my weight fluctuate that much?

If any of you has any idea, please do share cause I am at a loss. In the meantime, I will start logging my food here (hope it's the right place), so maybe you gusy can give me pointers.

Food log coming up tonight!

Thanks!

Water weight, muscle gain. I fluctuate currently between 182 and 185 depending on time of day, how long its been since i have eaten, etc.

I would get a body fat/BMI calculator and go off that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

For one of my challenge (and for nerdish reasons), I have started tracking my food and weight. I'm 4 days in and my weight have already fluctuated between 51.9kg and 53.6kg. A 2kg variation in the same day is not something weird to see. As Lefeux says: water weight, muscles gain. So don't worry too much about fluctuations.

Anyway, tracking your food may be an idea, I think the data obtained are interesting to study and (as long as you don't have to do that all the time) it's kinda fun to do ^^

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Keep in mind that what's important is the general trend and I admit it's difficult to do when you start tracking your food.

I was not happy at all when I weighted myself at 53.6 (my dreamed (and totally unrealistic) weight was 47kg) so before getting crazy, I had to put myself in scientific mode. Fluctuations needs to be tracked but the numbers alone doesn't mean anything. So now, I'm trying to get detached from the numbers. 51? 52? 55? Whatever the number are they are irrelevant, I will only know what the trend is by the end of my tracking. (10 days for me).

Give yourself a span (10 days? 15 days?) and don't analyse your data before the end of this span. And good luck not becoming crazy, that's really hard to not care even if you know that you shouldn't :P

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

I think one of my goals (even if its not for a challenge) is to get to the point to where I only weigh and measure myself once a week. I think it will help with my own yo-yo frustrations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I do measure myself once a week and truth to be told, the measurements are quite alright, I see the progress. I am also fine with slow but steady progress, cause I know it's going to stick longer and I can turn it into a lifestyle, cause I'm not a big fan of diets :)

I guess I am just surprised that, even though I am obviously not bulking up super fast, my weight fluctuates THAT much and it never went back to the initial positive result of 58kg. I will likely change my habit of weighing in often to once a week as well.

I saw my weight go from somewhere in the 74 range, up to 75.5 and 75.9 the next day. Then 75.5 again and now 74.9

It happens. I just find it interesting to see, and try to think about my diet and if I know I ate right, then I'm not worried. Otherwise it can motivate me to adjust.

But I've seen a flux of 300 grams just from going to the toilet... to give you an idea... or 200 grams from taking a shower.

I like experimenting with what causes weight change lol.

A lot of things influence your weight, so it's more about the overall trend.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Either weigh yourself rarely, or every darn day, tracking the results and figuring out the trend.

The in between zone, weighing yourself fairly frequently but not keeping track of the results is just bad for your mental health. It is near impossible to assemble a trend in your head.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Trash that scale. It's not helpful if you can't track your wieght without it crushing your spirit. Unless you're training for a sport that requires a certain body weight, track other things like body fat and waist measurements. After all, if you're trying to lose weight, it's not because you want to be as some arbitrary number, it's because you want your body to look a certain way, correct? Track the things that matter! It will help you keep going. I'm sure you will see more consistent results with a measuring tape than you will with the scale.

‎"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." ~Bruce Lee

After all, if you're trying to lose weight, it's not because you want to be as some arbitrary number, it's because you want your body to look a certain way, correct? Track the things that matter! It will help you keep going. I'm sure you will see more consistent results with a measuring tape than you will with the scale.

You and many more in this thread are absolutely right. Weight doesn't matter and my tape measurements are incredibly consistent. I will keep a food diary, to make sure I stay on track (and omg, I really dislike tracking food :P). I have actually noticed that I may even not be eating enough calories (888..., super low). I had breakfast, lunch, dinner and a little snack in between yesterday and didn't reach a decent amount...I guess I will need to eat cheese more often!

You and many more in this thread are absolutely right. Weight doesn't matter and my tape measurements are incredibly consistent. I will keep a food diary, to make sure I stay on track (and omg, I really dislike tracking food :P). I have actually noticed that I may even not be eating enough calories (888..., super low). I had breakfast, lunch, dinner and a little snack in between yesterday and didn't reach a decent amount...I guess I will need to eat cheese more often!

You have reminded me that keeping a food journal is probably the best thing we can do for ourselves to start. :)

And CHEESE. haha

‎"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." ~Bruce Lee

Archived