Forums are back in action! ×

I ran my first ever 5K without stopping!

So a little back story.  

I have been trying to do the C25K app over the last year.  About 3 times I started it over.  I originally signed up for the 2014 Sharks Fitness Faceoff earlier in the year.  I thought by the time the 5k comes, I will have completed the C25K, and been training more.

My last challenge I had gotten into Week 7 Day 1.  So a 25 minute run.  At that time, it was my longest ever.  Then I hurt my hamstring, and didn't run for 3 weeks.

This latest challenge I was able to get back out there.  Though I repeated week 6.  Of course I wasn't even close to 5k distance yet.  I ended up finishing off week 7 last week before my 5K on Sunday.

So yesterday, I had lots of doubts that I could even come close to finishing.  Last week on my 25 minute runs I did get to 2 miles though.  So at least I knew I could do that.

The 5k runners started at 8:15am.  I never ran a 5k before, so I didn't exactly know what to expect.  I had a friend there who has done a few races though, so he gave me a few tips.  The beginning was a bit hectic.  I wanted to make sure I didn't start off at too fast a pace, but I didn't realize I would be dodging so many people.  I lined up towards the back some because I knew I wouldn't be flying out the gate like the sub 8 minute a mile people.

It seemed like for the first quarter mile or more I was dodging and weaving in and out of groups of people.  Some people would be running, then randomly stop.  I knwo they usually ask people to be towards the right if you are going slow, or walking.  Not many were following this though.

Still, I was doing ok.  I would check my watch to try to keep on a decent pace.

I did hydrate pretty well the day before, but I didn't have any water with me during the run.  Next time I will make sure to care some with me.  There was one station along the way, so I did slow up to grab water.  I almost had to stop when someone upped and stopped right in front of me to throw away the cup.  Luckily I was able to avoid him.

I hit 2 miles in, and was still going pretty fast.  I had the thoughts of "ok, this is as far as I have ever run in my life."  But i just kept telling myself to keep pushing.  Every time I would check my pace, I knew I was getting closer and closer to the finish.

2.5 miles in, I think i started to slow up more.  I just had to keep reminding myself that I was almost there.  After one turn we could see the SAP center where the event was taking place.  So I get a little adrenaline boost.  Know I know we are getting close.

Then the final turn towards the finish line.  I really try to turn on the speed.  Maybe even too early.  Then I crossed the finish line, and grabbed my medal.

14537282415_24b4f08526.jpgIMG_20140629_085939 by Will Tate, on Flickr

So my first ever 5k I got done in 37 minutes.  I've never run that distance before, and was overjoyed knowing that I actually ran it all without stopping to walk.  

I posted to facebook:

Hell yeah this 269lb just ran a 5k! No stopping!

14537282275_bd1610524e_n.jpgIMG_20140629_085830 by Will Tate, on Flickr

So it was a really great feeling for me.  I went into the day not sure if I could do it.  I just knew if I ran it all, I would feel amazing.  It was an awesome feeling :D

• Like 11

That is awesome sauce, sir! Way to go. :)

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Way to Go, Tateman! That is totally kicking butt!

Im still trying to Run a complete 5K myself. I use the Run/Walk method, and am trying to work towards what you just accomplished. Thank You for mor Inspiration!

Excellent work sir!

Cool medal too :)

Impressive!! I've just started C25K this week and so far my first goal is to run for 10 minutes without stopping lol!... So a whole 5K is awesome!!

just keep at it :)  I have re ran weeks, started it over, and taken a week or so off.  Technically, i still haven't finished the C25K program.  I started it up again his week though.  So in week 8.  Just need to finish week 9 to be done haha.

Nicely done! And great result, particularly for a first run!

Thanks.  I ended up finishing much faster then I thought I would.

• Like 2

Woot! Woot!

Great job, man!

• Like 1

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

You are an inspiration to many of us!

If I could get my knees to believe my 240 frame was ok to bounce on them...I'd run in a heart beat!

On the other hand...you have showed that with training - our bodies can do what we want them to do!

I would love the feeling of running through the finish line!

I enjoyed it when I walked through!

Great Job!

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

You are an inspiration to many of us!

If I could get my knees to believe my 240 frame was ok to bounce on them...I'd run in a heart beat!

On the other hand...you have showed that with training - our bodies can do what we want them to do!

I would love the feeling of running through the finish line!

I enjoyed it when I walked through!

Great Job!

ChristArtist - Hun - YOU CAN!  I'm about the same and I try to run.  Yes i know you have other things going on with your body, but you don't need to lose weight to convince your body you can run.  You need to make sure its okay with your dr and then listen to your body, but just start.  Start slowly, maybe like a fast walk first and then slowly increase speed as you get use to it and have your breathing under control.  :)

• Like 2

This is an awesome Woot, Tateman.  Very inspiring.  KUDOS to you. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Huzzah! It's always awesome when you're able to accomplish something like that.

Race: Alive | Class: Ranger | Level: 7 | STATS: Whoops~ (Yes, that's totally a stat! I checked, I swear!... >.>)

Understand that everyone needs time. Understand that everyone deserves patience. Understand that healing, and change take countless seconds, minutes and hours before real health of body and mind can be obtained at all.

"Everything lost is meant to be found."

Becoming a part of the X-men: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | Current