Forums are back in action! ×

Masters Degree

I submitted my master's thesis last month but a couple days ago, it became official. I received my diploma confirming my Master of Arts degree in Human Development with a specialization in Social Change. Now to begin applications for my next foray into academia: the doctorate...

• Like 4

Unapologetic

Level 1 Time Lord

~hoping to regenerate into someone new~

Intro First Challenge

Lose 200 pounds

17.6%
17.6%

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant.

-Eleventh Doctor

As a PhD grad student who is trying to finish his degree in the next year (it's been five already) and who has gone through the hellish rigors of a Master's and academia in general, I congratulate you! That is an amazing accomplishment! *fistbump*

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Oh, my thesis process was ridiculous. I started out with one topic for my research but for a variety of reasons, that fell apart after 4 months of work on it. So I had to completely shift gears but amazingly, I still finished with the rest of my cohort. Granted, I barely had a life outside of my thesis during that time, but it got done.

The biggest thing was just to make sure I wrote something every day. It didn't necessarily need to be inspired or something that would end up in the final product, but to just keep writing. Over the course of a few weeks I wrote 3 or 4 separate versions of my literature review. Having that many to choose from helped me pick the one that flowed the best rather than trying to rehash my first attempt into something that worked. That and talk to your adviser (and committee if you can) early and often. Checking in regularly will help keep you on track and give them the opportunity to spot any potential problems before you go too far in that direction. Also, breaking it into smaller chunks rather than thinking of it in terms of one  document really helps.

Unapologetic

Level 1 Time Lord

~hoping to regenerate into someone new~

Intro First Challenge

Lose 200 pounds

17.6%
17.6%

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant.

-Eleventh Doctor

Congrats!  I was lucky.  I got away with my Master's without having to do a thesis.  Of course, I only worked on my PhD for 1 year until life/family changed.  Here's to your current and future success!

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Oh, my thesis process was ridiculous. I started out with one topic for my research but for a variety of reasons, that fell apart after 4 months of work on it. So I had to completely shift gears but amazingly, I still finished with the rest of my cohort. Granted, I barely had a life outside of my thesis during that time, but it got done.

The biggest thing was just to make sure I wrote something every day. It didn't necessarily need to be inspired or something that would end up in the final product, but to just keep writing. Over the course of a few weeks I wrote 3 or 4 separate versions of my literature review. Having that many to choose from helped me pick the one that flowed the best rather than trying to rehash my first attempt into something that worked. That and talk to your adviser (and committee if you can) early and often. Checking in regularly will help keep you on track and give them the opportunity to spot any potential problems before you go too far in that direction. Also, breaking it into smaller chunks rather than thinking of it in terms of one  document really helps.

That's good advice. Thank you!

The iron never lies.

Huzzah! That's awesome! And welcome to the life of a post masters graduate!

I keep absently mulling over a Ph.D but can't make up my mind if I want to or not. I just loathe the publish or perish mentality (for myself!) that tends to come with it. :(

Race: Alive | Class: Ranger | Level: 7 | STATS: Whoops~ (Yes, that's totally a stat! I checked, I swear!... >.>)

Understand that everyone needs time. Understand that everyone deserves patience. Understand that healing, and change take countless seconds, minutes and hours before real health of body and mind can be obtained at all.

"Everything lost is meant to be found."

Becoming a part of the X-men: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | Current