Forums are back in action! ×

Beard appreciation thread

I chopped mine back for summer. I hates it. Never again. It's funny how much I've come to love my beard, even the #7 on the trimmer is way shorter than I like it now. I just have to get to the barber more often so I stop looking like a man from the hills too often, which my wife yells at me for.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Sadly I cannot grow a beard I tried went nearly a year and a half without shaving to see how it would look and it was horrid.

This was 4 months in, but the only change between this and almost 18 months is the bottom kept growing and the sides never filled out.... So after many months of frustration I just grew out a long goatee (was 2 fists long before i decided to shave it for a change and instantly regretted it.)

476254 10151168332154741 1019584560 O

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Sadly I cannot grow a beard I tried went nearly a year and a half without shaving to see how it would look and it was horrid.

This was 4 months in, but the only change between this and almost 18 months is the bottom kept growing and the sides never filled out.... So after many months of frustration I just grew out a long goatee (was 2 fists long before i decided to shave it for a change and instantly regretted it.)

My cheeks only fully filled in when I was about 28, which is why I finally started growing mine.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My cheeks only fully filled in when I was about 28, which is why I finally started growing mine.

I have something to hope for then I was 24 in that picture and havent tried to grow it out again since I cut it when i was 25.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Double post.  My bad.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Beard update!

bdacebaa730d1509d20509cd107a7a2e.jpg

At the barber shop last week enjoying a fresh trim to the mighty mane and some beard oil for good measure.

• Like 4

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Currently in the process of re-bearding up. One and a half weeks in, hoping to have a decent growth when I fly back home in a fortnight's time.

949ae1aa4aec44a76a3751e0d36bc8e3.jpg

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

I can't even, I have no clue how I ended up on that side of youtube, but I just felt this needed to be posted here

My kind of dudes.  Being bearded, especially long and loving bearded, is a commitment... one not easily understood by those uninitiated to the rites of facial hair passage.

Figured I should post an update from a competition I was in this last weekend.  Got a lot of complements on my beard.  And my lifting too.  But mostly the beard.  :triumphant:

post-9629-0-50166500-1436817682_thumb.jp

• Like 2

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

Lookin' fierce, Niccolo.

CrossFit beards represent!

• Like 1

My beard alternates between "taliban apprentice" and what I have seen some american media reference to as "euro corporate beard".

Self portrait in weird-artist-mode:

selbst3sk.jpg

Portrait by Hauke Fischer in try-to-look-presentable-mode:

portrait.jpg

Jawline is nice, but the cheeks are a little patchy and always seem to lag behind, so I keep the beard shorter than I'd like too. 

• Like 2

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

Decided to try the imgur app out and see how well it works for sharing pictures..appears to exceed expectations some. :)

Here's a quick shot of my beard as of a few minutes ago..haven't even groomed it yet for the day (bout to get ready for work now)..I started trimming/shaping it myself several months back..finally getting the jaw lined up the way I want and figured out how to fade in the cheeks the way I wanted to as well.  So far, my bosses haven't told me to cut it back so that's fantastic!

OzEokejm.jpg

I think I've got that Leonidas look going on pretty nicely.. :D

• Like 1

So far, my bosses haven't told me to cut it back so that's fantastic!

If they do tell you to shave or trim, just resolutely state that shaving is against your religion.

When they ask which religion, state "being a man," and leave them with as steely-eyed a stare as you can muster.

• Like 2

If they do tell you to shave or trim, just resolutely state that shaving is against your religion.

When they ask which religion, state "being a man," and leave them with as steely-eyed a stare as you can muster.

If we're being honest..it should legally be shorter (food business)..I think they only give me a pass because they know how much work I put into grooming it..lol

Saw a friend tonight who hasn't seen me since it was a baby beard (maybe a few weeks old)..first question was whether or not I am modeling with it yet..the thought has occurred to me but I want atleast another 6-12 months of growth before I even tried such a thing.  The imgur picture truly does it no justice.

If we're being honest..it should legally be shorter (food business)..I think they only give me a pass because they know how much work I put into grooming it..lol

Saw a friend tonight who hasn't seen me since it was a baby beard (maybe a few weeks old)..first question was whether or not I am modeling with it yet..the thought has occurred to me but I want atleast another 6-12 months of growth before I even tried such a thing.  The imgur picture truly does it no justice.

I didn't know beard modeling was a thing...

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

It most definitely is a thing.

This is one that has inspired some of the direction/shaping I'm working with, let me know if the link doesn't work.

10289938_10152874218091096_7238482386948

I tweak my beard every few months to keep it growing the way I want it to, pictures like this one and others help me with designing the shape better.  I finally got the bottom of the jaw the way I want it..now I just let it grow out and keep the top thin..and I should (fingers crossed) head in this direction.

Sure is.  I have an entire page on Pinterest devoted to classic hairstyles connected to beards.

This guy in particular, among others:

72cf2ad7bf810e39ac33389ff3eb6550.jpg

It isn't enough that a man just grow facial hair.  Any man can.  But there is greatness in a well-groomed chin full of luxurious face armor.

Or so I tell myself.