Forums are back in action! ×

Beard appreciation thread

I had several (awkward, flattering, and otherwise) beard moments during my vacation to England, Scotland, and Belgium.  Even the awkward ones are a great moment to be bearded.

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

It's always a great moment to be bearded.

Quoted for truth (and great justice)!

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

For beard oil, I've started making my own.  Kinda expensive up front, but you get a lot more at a lot lower price overall.  Here's a good how-to: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/09/09/diy-beard-oil/

I've been using Choice Beard and Co. for their beard tamer and mustache wax to keep everything from flying away.  http://choicebeard.com/

Hope that helps!

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

I use Fortknight Beard Balm at present, and usually wipe the palmade I use in my hair's leftovers to keep everything smooth and in place.

My winter beard  is just starting to fill out and a dude today said something nice.... then it got a little weird when I heard him say to his little girl "look at the bearman!  That's wild.  Rawr!"

I think he was just trying to distract his kid, we were both taking small children for blood draws but it was hard not to be weirded out a little.

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Historically my facial hair has been terrifying to most small children.  I suppose if I kept things more 'short and conventional,' rather than 'massive and contrary to social norms' I probably wouldn't send so many children scurrying to hide behind their parents' legs.

It comes with the territory though.

My winter beard  is just starting to fill out and a dude today said something nice.... then it got a little weird when I heard him say to his little girl "look at the bearman!  That's wild.  Rawr!"

I think he was just trying to distract his kid, we were both taking small children for blood draws but it was hard not to be weirded out a little.

I'd have rawred back in response...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I have to shampoo my beard with dandruff shampoo every other day as I've gotten ringworm (a fungal infection) on the skin under it repeatedly if I don't. Same thing with my hair. No clue where I'm picking it up. I'll look into some of your suggestions for conditioner.

Beard update: it's coming back nicely after over trimming it a few months back.

A49F7266-3764-43E8-97B8-608C1560BF20_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I guess it would be amazing if you could share some of this moments, please.

The highly of the awkward moments would be the drunken Scotman who abandoned his group of friends, ran about 25m across the busy street to me, and then proceeding to attempt to stroke my beard and call it, "precious."  Another would be having it referred to as a "saddle" during a night of imbibing of the local spirits... if you know what I mean.

For the more conventional bearded moments, they were many.  From being referred to as merely "The Beard" to the particular notice garnered by the William Wallace reenactor at the monument, it's never a dull day spent whilst bearded.

• Like 3

We do like a beard in Scotland!

(out of interest where did you visit?)

I finally got the title of "epic beard" and "looks like a dude" because of it thanks to a friend sharing a picture during a trip south of the border recently. I feel good that it has moved on from 'majestic'. :D

• Like 1

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

The highly of the awkward moments would be the drunken Scotman who abandoned his group of friends, ran about 25m across the busy street to me, and then proceeding to attempt to stroke my beard and call it, "precious."  Another would be having it referred to as a "saddle" during a night of imbibing of the local spirits... if you know what I mean.

For the more conventional bearded moments, they were many.  From being referred to as merely "The Beard" to the particular notice garnered by the William Wallace reenactor at the monument, it's never a dull day spent whilst bearded.

So you only experienced positive situations?

• Like 2

This thread inspired me to start a discussion about a beard friendly version of Movember fundraiser at work.  None of that mustache only business,

I prefer "No shave November." But I need a good running start for my beard, it takes more than a month to look presentable.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I prefer "No shave November." But I need a good running start for my beard, it takes more than a month to look presentable.

Yeah, one of my Co-workers can sport a pretty sweet curled mustache but it takes him 6 weeks to do it.   I can put up a pretty respectable beard or stache in a month but seems silly to have a fundraising contest that 1/2 the men can't participate in.  We are more about raising some money and having fun than sticking with some organizations rules.

Yeah, one of my Co-workers can sport a pretty sweet curled mustache but it takes him 6 weeks to do it.   I can put up a pretty respectable beard or stache in a month but seems silly to have a fundraising contest that 1/2 the men can't participate in.  We are more about raising some money and having fun than sticking with some organizations rules.

One of my friends raised a ridiculous amount of money by growing the most pathetic, sparse, pre-pubescent attempt at a moustache that anyone had ever seen.  People were sponsoring him to keep such an embarrassing appendage on his face for the entire month for a good cause...

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

I actually think that the contest in certain ways favors the guy who doesn't typically sport facial hair.   To follow their rules I would pretty much have to shave off my beard for an entire month and go bare faced into the month of December.  There are a lot of guys who just wouldn't participate in that. 

• Like 2

We do like a beard in Scotland!

(out of interest where did you visit?)

I finally got the title of "epic beard" and "looks like a dude" because of it thanks to a friend sharing a picture during a trip south of the border recently. I feel good that it has moved on from 'majestic'. :D

We did a three day bus tour from Edinburgh to Inverness, out to Skye, and then back to Edinburgh via Glencoe, spending the last two days in and around Edinburgh proper.  I could have stayed!  My new favorite city.

So you only experienced positive situations?

During this trip, yeah.  But I've had a negative experience or two back home.  Not that I put much stock into those.

I actually think that the contest in certain ways favors the guy who doesn't typically sport facial hair.   To follow their rules I would pretty much have to shave off my beard for an entire month and go bare faced into the month of December.  There are a lot of guys who just wouldn't participate in that. 

Agreed.  I have zero intention of saving, even for Movember, No Shave November, or Decembeard, but I'm usually the one leading the charge and motivating others to participate.  With great beard comes great responsibility!  It is one thing to just stop shaving and allow hair to adorn your face, but to truly embrace the bearded lifestyle and become a walking billboard for manly virtue is another matter entirely.

And I always make a donation for prostate cancer, one way or another.

• Like 3