Forums are back in action! ×

Well done on the race, that's awesome you did so well.

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm glad you're happy Tank.  I tried a Shiner Seasonal last night on your recommendation, it was really good.

That makes me happy in ways I did expect. Which one was it?

That is absurd. The problem is teachers tend to be liberal and their unions endorse Democrats so for years the politicians on the right have been trying to break the profession. In between getting tenure and these laws I didn't have a principal come into my room once in ten years. I appreciate the trust, but that was absurd too.  There has to be a happy middle ground where teachers are held accountable without preventing us from actual teaching. Or principaling as the case may be. 

This is independent of left-right politics, more like death by committee. Supposedly it was teachers who came up with nonsense. The upshot is department heads are having administrative duties dumped onto them.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Great job on the race!  I'm jealous but not jealous.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done on the race, that's awesome you did so well.

That makes me happy in ways I did expect. Which one was it?

This is independent of left-right politics, more like death by committee. Supposedly it was teachers who came up with nonsense. The upshot is department heads are having administrative duties dumped onto them.

It's possible that I've moved so far left that I've become one of those loons who see right-wing conspiracies everywhere. But it's possible that this policy was made by teachers. Teachers, when formed into a committee, are monumentally stupid. (Individually they're all right.) Tu Novia didn't get suckered into being a department head did she?

I think I did better than I should have because of old man grit.  Legs hurting? So what, keep running.  Lungs burning? So what, keep climbing.  Today, though, everything hurts and I feel like death. I really don't know how EricMN does longer, harder OCRs regularly and not only live through them but be able to race again the next day or even the next weekend. 

I forget get the name of the Shiner.  It was a Christmas seasonal.  It was malty, and caramelly a bit like a porter maybe. It went well with chili. *googles* it was the Holiday Cheer. 10 out of 10, will drink again. 

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I need to do this race next year. I've talked about it for two years now. Must do.

Put it on the calendar now, second Saturday in October. I'll remind you again when the registration goes live. 

• Like 6

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

30 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Tu Novia didn't get suckered into being a department head did she?

No way, she's a front line teacher. She's the lead teacher for Level one Spanish, but that basically means she sets the agendas for the meetings.

31 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It was a Christmas seasonal.  It was malty, and caramelly a bit like a porter maybe. It went well with chili. *googles* it was the Holiday Cheer. 10 out of 10, will drink again. 

That is a great beer, I didn't realize it was out already.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I think I did better than I should have because of old man grit.

AKA: I'm too stubborn to let this beat me! Well done, sir!

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Passed out - check

Barfed - check

FINISHED THE RACE - check

Had a delicious seasonal beer (i love winter beers) - check

Sounds like a win to me!! :)  Another one for the Rebellion~

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

22 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I need to do this race next year. I've talked about it for two years now. Must do.

I should get back next year as well.  Only this time actually train for it.  I was so out of shape last year.  

Way to go Sloth.  Sounds like you had a brutal race, but got through it.  Sloth power!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Great job on the race!  I'm jealous but not jealous.  

Thanks. Get it on the calendar for next year.  

21 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Added to my digital calendar. 

:)

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That is a great beer, I didn't realize it was out already.

They don't sell much Shiner around here.  It might have been in the beer cave since last year.  Imma keep my eye open for my re of their offerings.

19 hours ago, maegs said:

Nice job on your race! :) 

19 hours ago, AthenaMM said:

Great job with your race! It sounds very exhausting!

Hah.  It wouldn't have been too bad if I hadn't let myself get out of shape. 

6 hours ago, jstanlick said:

AKA: I'm too stubborn to let this beat me! Well done, sir!

:) exactly.  Kind of like Old Man Strong.  I've done it before dammit, I can do it again. 

2 hours ago, shaar said:

Passed out - check

Barfed - check

FINISHED THE RACE - check

Had a delicious seasonal beer (i love winter beers) - check

Sounds like a win to me!! :)  Another one for the Rebellion~

I love barfing in a race. On the way home I retrieved my old mountain bike. And the Shiner was a shower beer. It was truly a glorious day. 

2 hours ago, Rooks said:

I should get back next year as well.  Only this time actually train for it.  I was so out of shape last year.  

Way to go Sloth.  Sounds like you had a brutal race, but got through it.  Sloth power!

That would be awesome.  I was hoping there'd be a crew of us that could run together. 

It wouldn't have been brutal if I had trained a little.  That was my own damn fault. 

ce87898471d064a1e138cb2c951d6eef.jpg

Only race photo of me. I'm dragging the tires with the sledge.

• Like 12

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sunday

I felt like death.  I didn't do much except walk around an apple orchard with the family.  It was a good time.

Monday

I still feel like death. Seriously, how does EricMN race and train so hard?  We had an Afro-Cuban dance performance at school today. They finished up with 10-15 minutes of "la houra loca" where they encouraged the kids to run in the aisles and up on stage and dance and generally go crazy. It set the kids off, it was la dia loca. Tank, feel free to correct my Spanish. 

Training: nope. 

Eating: Lots.

Nerd Stuff:. I found a vendor for blind accessible games (one of the nerds can't see).  I think I'll pick one or two up as XMas presents for him and his husband. It'd be nice not to have to be so cooperative when we play. ;)

• Like 9

la dia loca

literally "the crazy day." It works since it mirrors "the crazy hour."

Sounds to me like un dolor de culo.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Sounds like a fun race to do. Hopefully they bring one near me in the future.

I've had the same experience with doing a cardio workout on PWO, don't start too enthusiastic. You'll regret that halfway, even though you're pumped at that moment. The dizzyness could actually be from the PWO. I don't know the technical parts but i do remember a story about the decision to mix in water with redbull that was handed out during an OCR because otherwise people would get dehydrated and some had to give up.

Beat-down tired is the best way to cross the finish line!

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

On October 10, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

literally "the crazy day." It works since it mirrors "the crazy hour."

Sounds to me like un dolor de culo.

Indeed.

On October 12, 2016 at 1:48 AM, mr_willes said:

Sounds like a fun race to do. Hopefully they bring one near me in the future.

I've had the same experience with doing a cardio workout on PWO, don't start too enthusiastic. You'll regret that halfway, even though you're pumped at that moment. The dizzyness could actually be from the PWO. I don't know the technical parts but i do remember a story about the decision to mix in water with redbull that was handed out during an OCR because otherwise people would get dehydrated and some had to give up.

Beat-down tired is the best way to cross the finish line!

That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. I took the pre-workout for its laxative effects.  There are few gas stations on the way to the race venue and no bathrooms in the woods so I wanted to make sure everything was dealt with. It worked really well for that, but I was shaky and had to pee constantly. Now I know not to try that for a mountain bike race. 

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

How's it going ? Have you recovered from your race?

12104985_1620840971511130_2119240099_n.j

Recovery takes a really long time these days. I did a full shovelglove workout today, but only at 12#. I think I'll be able to start ramping it up again after the weekend. 

That pic is fitting. I've broken the no sleep dam, but now I have the I can't wake up dam. It's a lot easier to get up when you're awake anyway and bored of being in bed. 

2 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I looked for a gif that says "what she said" but they all said "that's what she said" which is an entirely different thing.

So, yeah, like EG says, how goes it?

I thought I posted on Tuesday.  The Internet gremlins must have eaten my post. 

If the last ten years in middle school have taught me anything, it's that "that what she said" can be used in any situation. 

The last few days:

training: not really.  Some light shovelglove to loosen up is all.

eating: like an arsehole. I've fallen back into the candy bar habit. 

nerding: not much, I ordered a Jawa costume for Halloween. I didn't want to have to watch the Phantom Menance to get Jar Jar's speech habits down. 

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If the last ten years in middle school have taught me anything, it's that "that what she said" can be used in any situation.

Funny.  I didn't learn that in middle school.  I didn't learn that until I got married. 

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

21 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Funny.  I didn't learn that in middle school.  I didn't learn that until I got married. 

Hah, that's funny.  Did Lord Shello also teach you about "pull my finger".

20 hours ago, shaar said:

UTINI!!!!!!

jawas_on_action_by_aggeiw-d5pnrq4.gif

That is awesome.  I still need an ion blaster for my costume. 

10/14/16 Friday

A crazy day at school. We're a uniform school and the students were out of uniform for picture day.  That's always a trigger for them. The teacher who went to pictures right before me lost control of her class (she's new).  They were running around the auditorium, doing flips, a couple went behind the stage and turned out the lights.  Even more chaos.  My class stayed in control. I wish I could articulate how I do that so I could give her better advice, but I've never been reflective so it just kind of feels like using the force.

New bike day! I picked up a new bike.  A 2015 Jamis Xenith. It's carbon fiber, has an 11 speed drive train.  It's more bike than I need, but it was a great price because Jamis is always better than their price point, it's last year's model and about to become two years ago's, and it's bright green which just screams "2015 called and it wants its bike back."  I'll post a pic when I get home.

i got the professional fitting for free.  It was simply the owner sitting me on the bike on eye balling adjustments until he proclaimed me fitted.  It put me pretty close to my usual position.  I'll probably raise the seat a little and maybe get a slightly shorter stem. 

Training: the already mentioned shovelglove.

Eating: no candy bars.  I prepared by bringing healthy snacks to school. I ate a Taco Cat burrito for dinner.  It was so good that half way through I got paranoid that it had cheese in it. 

Nerding: none, but right now I'm waiting for circus class in my NASA T shirt while streaming a Star Trek episode.  The first one with Romulans, it's a great one.

• Like 9

Congrats on the new bike!

Thanks!

26fb5d3a60d1264797edccf727281c17.jpg

I've only done an around the block ride, but it feels great. The handling is spot on and everything works far better than it did ten years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

3db02b6f1caf6ff00198b37b593ce53c.jpg

Here's my first mountain bike. It looks exactly like it did when I gave it away. Spotless drive train, smooth beatings, still has nubs on the tires. I'd be surprised if it had 200 miles on it in the last 25 years. I misremembered, it was the next mtbike that I gave away that was set up as a commuter.

It's crazy heavy. This winter I'll dig through my parts box and build it into a dad bike/ coffee bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I have never known there are fashions in the biking world. 

Congratulations on the bike.  Maybe I should also start biking again. 

• Like 2

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius