TiogaGirl rolls into spring like Gollum in a shopping cart

Soooo, I clearly got over ambitious with my list yesterday. In the end, I helped AmazingStudent with her essay, hit the gym, then caught the bus home and more or less collapsed onto the couch. Well, I did eventually shower and piece together some lunch, and answer a couple emails, and do some polishing of vocals (backup vocals, so the words are easy just ‘ooo ooo ooo, doo-wa, doo-wa’ but it’s the dreaded second soprano part with weird intervals so tough to memorize). But really didn’t measure up to the day’s fairly ambitious goals. Body comp goals don’t feel much more progressed-to than work goals either - food was good until like 9 pm, then suddenly my motivation to look hot took a back seat to my motivation to eat tortilla chips 😭 Cold, blustery and freezing-rainy days don’t see me at my best!

Today, it is POURING down rain, I have two meetings scheduled for on campus, and i need to decide pronto whether to ask to attend by zoom instead. Benefits of sucking it up and working on campus as planned include getting a little enforced exercise in, getting to listen guilt free to my podcast as i walk in, and the inevitable better productivity i have working there rather than at home. I also wouldn’t have to come up with a plausible excuse for zooming (“I don’t feel like getting rained on” doesn’t cut it for a field ecologist). Benefits of calling in are, well, staying dry and cozy here, and not having to pack a lunch.

OK, on reviewing that pros/cons list my choice is clearer. I’ll head in, packing a change of clothes in a waterproof bag just in case. I don’t really mind getting wet that much, it’s STAYING wet all day that puts me into chill country.

It’s a rest day as regards lifting, so that is good at least… two days in a row got me sore all over!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Salinger said:

HEY TG!!!!!!

It has been raining a lot here too :(

You are pretty bloody amazing. Do you know???

How has your day been? Hope you stayed dry ! xx

Awww 🥰 you need to move to Canada so I can have you as my hype person! I do not feel like I'm amazing but it's definitely nice to hear.

My sympathies about the rain, I mean I know it's to be expected in April but GAAAAH I just want it to be proper spring, with warmth and greenery and sunshine and not quite so much mud everywhere!!

Well, the rain miraculously stopped while I got to campus, so I got to spend the day dry, and it's almost fully clear outside now. Awesome! And as predicted, I was waaaay more productive working from my office on campus than I would have been at home. Met with a student whose committee I'm on; then with my own most frustrating student (he means well but gosh it takes many tries to get things through his head); then did some work for one of my professional societies; then read all the way through the thesis of my (second most frustrating) student and made a ton of suggestions. Now I'm absolutely fried. I _could_ stick around and make headway on the overly ambitious list from y'day, but no I couldn't. It's only 3 pm but Imma head home and do some music review... rehearsal tonight!

• Like 3

We frustrating students mean well and appreciate all of your efforts, I promise. 

Hope rehearsal went well! 

• Haha 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Sov :D 

rehearsal was long and intense (lots of stopping and starting and tweaking and correcting, so took us 4 hours to get through act 2!) but we are all in good spirits and it seemed like a fun level of challenge, not an insurmountable one or a slog. The contrast between doing this show and my regular choir is wild - we ALWAYS get screamed at during choir rehearsals, whereas for this show everyone’s so supportive.

Started listening to an e-book of ‘seize the morning, seize your life’ yesterday to have something to listen to on the walk home - so obviously I overslept today and am lazing around in my robe drinking coffee. NOT what bro recommends. I should be gulping down mineral water then hyperventilating in the shower and turning the cold water way up 😂— perhaps another day! But there is something to rehydrating in the morning, I’ll grant him that. And my morning routine does need work - it is just so much easier to get off on the right foot when it’s warm and sunny outside! [taps foot, waits impatiently for signs of spring]

Formal list to come, but main tasks today include a student meeting to review thesis feedback (probably my final meeting with this student!); meeting with FaveStudent to figure out what gear they need for the field season and how they will acquire it (probably a pep talk needed here too); virtual meeting of professional society exec; lifting; and paperwork for WizardStudent. That’s not insurmountable, I can do this.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

so obviously I overslept today and am lazing around in my robe drinking coffee. NOT what bro recommends.

Sounds about right 😂

8 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

But there is something to rehydrating in the morning

Hnng...I need this so much.  Virtually everyday I have a 3pm realization I haven't had anything to drink except a single mug of coffee...gee I wonder why I am so tired.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Everstorm, always down for accountabilibuddying around hydration goals! :D

Whew, I mostly slayed at today. But the meetings all aligned so that there wasn’t time to get lunch, except for a protein bar I had wisely stowed in my office. So by the time meetings wrapped around 2 pm I was sooo starving and sooo tired! I gave myself the okay to head home (er, with a stop by the Lebanese bakery) rather than go all hangry to the gym. So, lifting will happen tomorrow. Still a pretty productive day and I’m celebrating by taking the rest of the afternoon to do things that are fun and thoroughly non-useful! With my spinach pies! 🥧 

• Like 2

Ooooh....spinach pie 😋

3 minutes ago, TiogaGirl said:

Everstorm, always down for accountabilibuddying around hydration goals! :D

Yes!  We must support each other's day drinking habits hydration goals.  I don't technically have this as a challenge goal this go-round, but I just need to do better whether it's official or not.

• Haha 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Kicking off the day drinking early, haha (going to finish this pint of water before fixing my second latte). And hey! It’s Friday! Would you look at that.

Feeling happy because of the impending weekend, and because kid 2 finishes classes today and comes home tonight!

Did a few semi self-carey tasks yesterday, well just booking appointments for future self-care. I had planned to get a massage on my bday next week but none available until May!! 😟 My luck was a little better with booking long overdue hair appointment, that’s down for later this month. The other thing I’ve been realizing I should do is an eye appointment [last one was 2016 or 2017 and just lately my eyes have been feeling really strained and tired], will see about booking one of those today.

Today’s list:

• morning gratitudes
  • dogwalk
  • Shower, get cute
  • Eat or pack breakfast
  • walk to campus
  • meet with speaker
  • gym, bench press and overhead press today
  • Grab lunch at neighbouring campus  <-- update, found stuff at home to bring for lunch :)
  • seminar
  • Free hour! Stats pomodoro? I would loooove to get the answer to the question I’m working on <— update, no, misread my schedule. There was no free hour, just back to back meetings 😭 
  • teaching planning meeting, bleh 
  • another free hour! Tidy office or more stats, depending
  • student presentations (one of mine is presenting today so gotta be there)
  • walk home, stopping by grocery store for soup fixins 
  • Rest up or de-stress, whichever (dance party, nap, dog snuggles as required)
  • make soup for me and kid 1 while hubs picks up kid 2
  • feed and medicate the beasts
  • make peanut butter cookies!!! 🍪 

Whew, I get faint just looking at that list! Let’s get another water and another latte. Cheers!

• Like 3

Three flexes:

1. Hydrating like a mofo today

2.  Got my bad self to the gym and polished off the day's lifting

3. Overrode my tendency to be overly nice and delusionally optimistic at today's meeting, and made the points I needed to. Like the powerful, badass, fully hydrated b*tch I am.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Amazing flexes. Get it!!!

America Dancing GIF by BLK

• Thanks 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday afternoon, drinking tea, chillin’ with hubby and kid 2 and the dogs (kid 1 out with gf). Things are all right!

Some kind of level up happened yesterday as regards giving fewer phoques… got to the gym, realized I had forgotten my workout top, didn’t have time to run back to the office and get it, so I just worked out in my sports bra (well, and shorts). The world didn’t end, and lots of the students were wearing tops teenier than mine. There was a time when I would have just bailed on lifting, but not yesterday! 

Today, took the day off gym and compensated with extra time outside (it is really nice and sunny) - took baby dog to her favourite park, strolled round the ‘hood with kid 2, even dug out my bike from the garage and pumped up the tires!

Book club tonight, so likely have a glass of wine and some tasty snacks. Sign me up! 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Level Up Love GIF by Lily Xiao Haselton

• Like 1

Eclipse day!! 🤩 Just going to campus to meet my new student (freshly arrived from overseas), then home to work from here and hopefully check out the solar festivities this afternoon. The weather is threatening clouds but I remain optimistic. I will have a ton of reading to do too, but gotta take a break for totality.

the weekend went by so fast, I need another one! Sunday was kid 2’s birthday, and they endearingly mostly just wanted to hang out doing family stuff. So dogwalk with me and the two youngest dogs, extra dogwalk to the seminary with Pep, all our NYT games, lots of time in the sunshine. I had rehearsal all afternoon and boy was it tough to force myself to go inside when it was sunny and bright-blue-sky and WARM out there! But rehearsal was super productive, got all the costuming stuff okayed and got to show off my crazy 50s/rockabilly outfits.😂 Came home, played outdoors with the weighted hula hoop (see above re giving zero foxes), baked a pretty awesome birthday cake, all good stuff.

Have gotten off track on tracking food, need to fix that up! I could barely squeeze into my tight-waist skirt for costume try-one! 😬 

• Like 3

IT IS SO SUNNY AND WARM!!! All I can do to keep myself in my office today, but boy is there a lot that needs doing.

• dogwalk
  • walk to campus
  • walk across campus to hubs' building, field inventory
  • walk to gym, leg day (deadlifts & squats)
  • walk to neighbouring campus, get lunch
  • walk to office
  • organize grad student summer salaries
  • send field safety plan to grad students
  • review PhD thesis, submit recommendation on defensability
  • editorial work pomodoro (skim paper, think about reviewers)
  • repeat editorial pomodoro as necessary
  • get home (maybe bus if legs too tired!)
  • shower
  • review songs and dances act 1
  • Like 3

Look at all that strike-through!! Way to go!!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 10:46 PM, Sovalis said:

Look at all that strike-through!! Way to go!!

😍

It’s been a solid productive week so far! Man was I wiped out when I got home Monday night though. Just crashed onto the couch and chilled with youngest dog for about half an hour before I could drag my carcass into the shower 😂 

Today’s my birthday!! I had tried to avoid scheduling any work meetings, but some cropped up anyway, so I’m heading in to campus. 

• That's Metal 2

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Active challenges: Summer bod - for real this time! | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

12 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

giphy.gif

😍 😍 😍 

Great birthday, especially considering it was a workday! Excellent seminar, work friend took me to lunch, went to the gym, then social hour with visiting speaker. Then walked home with hubs, got into dry clothes (raining hard), and drove downtown to my best taco place for tacos and margaritas with kid 1. Video chatted with my mom, then with kid 2,  opened some gifts, and good vibey texts rolling in from friends all the while. I like it 😊 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Celebrate Happy Birthday GIF by Sesame Street

Happy Birthday!! ❤️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

HEY TG HAPPY BIRTJDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

You are amazing and cool and gorgeous. 

What is your current book club read?

Hoping the sun is still out for you xx

Awww, thanks girl!

I wish the sun was still out too 😭 it’s been rainy and blustery for a couple days. But had a great birthday anyway!

our book club finished North Woods (highly recommend) and we are now on to “I am Not Sydney Poitier” - haven’t started it yet but it sounds promising!

Tonight, going to see Rent (a friend is in the ensemble!) and tomorrow, going with my cast mates to a fancy-dress ball! As luck would have it, I have a fancy dress that has never been worn (bought in early 2020 for a show but then Covid happened) so… I guess this will be its big outing!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1