The Job Thread.

I just graduated recently and work as a Project Scientist for an environmental consulting firm. My degree is in Applied Ecology & Environmental Sciences, and now I specialize in air compliance for municipal solid waste clients. So, basically, I work with landfills. And make sure they don't break the rules.

• Like 1

"I am the hero of this story. I don't need to be saved."

Level 2 Half Wood Elf | Current Challenge  #1 l  Progress Album

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

I just graduated recently and work as a Project Scientist for an environmental consulting firm. My degree is in Applied Ecology & Environmental Sciences, and now I specialize in air compliance for municipal solid waste clients. So, basically, I work with landfills. And make sure they don't break the rules.

I used to do similar work. Do you like it?

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Yeah, it's not bad. I still have no idea what I'm doing, which gets really frustrating sometimes. But once I learn the in's and out's of what I'm working with, I think I'll like it a lot more. What about you? Did you like it?

"I am the hero of this story. I don't need to be saved."

Level 2 Half Wood Elf | Current Challenge  #1 l  Progress Album

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

BS in Biology (concentration in reproductive ecology/embryology), currently working as a NYC-metro EMT as I take a few years off before medical school (hopefully).  Also on the deploy list as an EMT with the American Red Cross, and have been deployed nationally 4 times so far (Joplin, MO, Hurricane Irene, Hurricane Sandy, etc etc).  Currently applying to MPH and MS in Nutrition programs.

Professional parent-annoyer is my full-time job, though.

• Like 1

Level 3 Wild Elf. Druid at heart, with an Adventurer's soul.

STR4 | DEX2 | STA4 | CON7 | WIS7 | CHA5

Challenges: 1st2nd, 3rd | Current: --

*After a long hiatus, I am back and ready to work on myself!

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

Yeah, it's not bad. I still have no idea what I'm doing, which gets really frustrating sometimes. But once I learn the in's and out's of what I'm working with, I think I'll like it a lot more. What about you? Did you like it?

More or less. It depended a lot on the client. In some cases we worked for companies who couldn't be bothered with environmental responsibility and basically expected us to make excuses/rationalizations on their behalf. And because we were working for them, that's essentially what we did, within the limits of the law. That part was frustrating.

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Physicist for an optics company (this is really a desk job 9-5 with bits of lab work sprinkled on occasionlly). Also working on my PhD part time.

I have to wake up early or work out immiately upon getting home to fit it in.  Also, there's weekends.  I take advantage of them when I can.

• Like 1
retail stock room (the best of my former jobs. Seriously, it was pretty awesome overall)

Cashier (I'm rather 'meh' about this one)

Two things I might do after I retire shortly.

It'll get me out of the house and if it gets to be a hassle, I'll just walk...

"Fuck this shit, I'm retired!"

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

To elaborate on the stockroom job; I had free run of the store, very little direction from my supervisor (stockroom was the only store area that could go an entire shift without seeing our sup), minimal interaction with customers (X item is over there, here is the thing you wanted from the stockroom, your thing is now loaded into your vehicle) relativley quite work enviroment (stockroom is walled off from the rest of the store) , drive cool vehicles (cherry picker and fork lift anyone?) , and best of all, THEY paid ME to lift heavy things, and there was no shortage of heavy things to move around, often with a time limit to move them. Yeah, good times.

• Like 1

My Job: Princess (and Mommy) about to start Graduate School for Social Work

Former jobs:

Hostess at a Mexican restaurant

Cashier at a grocery store

volunteer Medical Records clerk (I loved this job)

volunteer social services assistant

Bell Ringer during Christmas

My total paid employment has been less than 12 months in my entire life, and I have a degree I have never used, and have been looking for almost 2 years now with no luck. I never expected to work at all, but the older I get the more I want to, and I can't find a paid job no matter how much I apply...such is my luck :/

P.S. I admire anyone who teaches, kids make me nuts, the more there are, the worse it is. Seriously, that's amazing!

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

To elaborate on the stockroom job; I had free run of the store, very little direction from my supervisor (stockroom was the only store area that could go an entire shift without seeing our sup), minimal interaction with customers (X item is over there, here is the thing you wanted from the stockroom, your thing is now loaded into your vehicle) relativley quite work enviroment (stockroom is walled off from the rest of the store) , drive cool vehicles (cherry picker and fork lift anyone?) , and best of all, THEY paid ME to lift heavy things, and there was no shortage of heavy things to move around, often with a time limit to move them. Yeah, good times.

The local REI's stockroom is under the store. Employees call it "the dungeon". Sounds like my kind of place.

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Sounds like my current job! Except replace customers with truck drivers who are usually much easier to deal with than customers anyway haha

• Like 1

I've delivered pizza. I've sold makeup and perfume/cologne. I've sat people at their tables at a steak restaurant. I've been a librarian. I've sold college textbooks. I've mowed lawns (mainly my own because my dad bribed me with $30).

Surprisingly, never been a server, but definitely commiserate with the plight of those in the service industry.

Former jobs before becoming a full time Domestic Goddess, part time Swimming Teacher

Orchard worker ( picking, thinning and eating fruit! ) best part of the job, racing around the orchards on quad bikes.

Rouse-a-bout, picking up fleeces and cleaning up around sharers in the wool shed. ( tried shearing but it was hard work )

Wool classer because being a rousie sucked and the classer made more with half the effort.

Check out chick.

Fruit and veg manager in a small family run store.

When the last goblin is old enough I would love to return to work, he is only 6 and his homeschooling has just begun, so I will be unemployed for a little while yet..........12 - 13 years.

I may get to study before then however, I hope.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

While I was in university/college, I worked weekend casual/part time jobs in retail to push me through university/college. 

Now I'm a full time multimedia developer and have been for over three years now. I specialize in video camera operation, video editing, graphic design and illustration while having some skill in photography and animation. I work for the government and I help in creating health related educational resources. 

I'm also a freelance artist, currently doing freelance work for GameRevolution.com to create weekly comic strips and I occasionally do work for other more local groups and organisations. 

Basically - I'm a giant nerd. 

• Like 2