Forums are back in action! ×

Scout related discussions! 

*Note: You can participate in guild discussions regardless of your chosen guild. 

Built for distance and efficiency rather than strength and power, you can outlast any animal on the planet. Your muscles are designed with endurance in mind, and you can cover great distances whenever necessary.

* Fictional example: Legolas of the Woodland Realm (Lord of the Rings), Tauriel (The Hobbit)

* Real-world example: Rita Jeptoo, Boston Marathon record holder; Jan Frodeno, 2008 Olympic gold medalist and 2015 Ironman champion

* Typical Activities: Running, Swimming, Biking

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
  • spezzy changed the title to Scout's Camp

3 months and no scouts? 

Guess we're all out running, swimming, or biking

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

17 hours ago, ViperN7 said:

What about you? 

Me? I'm a runner mostly - 5 marathons, a dozen or so half-marathons, and a smattering of other race distances. Been here (on and off) since 2011 or 12 I think. 

What guild / guilds  are you interested in? 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

So, I'm a runner. I race 5ks. That seems to be Scout. I'm a lifter, that seems to be Warrior. Some of the things I categorize as "lifting" seem to fall under Assassin (namely pull ups, also push ups, etc), not enough for me to feel like that's my main theme though. Rangers seem to be the mix, but, well, I guess I don't have a clear idea of what a ranger is. If I'm going to pick a label at all, it just feels wrong for it *not* to be running (scout). Running goes very deep for me. It also feels wrong for it not to be strength (warrior). Strength training is the main thing I've been excited about for a few years--it's actually how I found Nerd Fitness.

The strength is not cross training for running. The running is not cross training for strength. It's like a double major. 

My main focuses right now are:

(1) increasing my deadlift

(2) I'd like to say "getting my 5k time back down closer to where it was years ago" but really that's been diverted into getting my endurance back to even be able to race a 5k (I'm recovering from illness)

(3) getting my pull ups back to where they were before I got sick--endurance is also the limiting factor here. 

I suppose the most practical reality is I'd like to hang out wherever there are cool discussions ?

I am rehabbing my aerobic capacity. Help! I am seeking suggestions from the scouts and scout-minded people. 

I am a lifelong runner. 5ks are my thing. I was sick last year and my aerobic capacity is still struggling. I like steady-state running with a brief sprint at the end, but it has become apparant that I need to do something else to regain aerobic capacity. I finally took my friend's advice and started doing sprints. 

I've started this: 30 seconds all-out sprint, 1 minute rest, for 10 iterations. Sprints cover the same distance so I know I am maintaining speed for each iteration. Once a week. (I've done 3 weeks so far.)

By sprint #3-5, it certainly "hits that spot in my breathing". My recovery afterwards was a bit better this third time, hoping that's adaptations starting. My other running day is a long run (=5k). 

I appreciate thoughts and suggestions. I can give more detail if desired.