Forums are back in action! ×

Typing here is scarier than it probably should be.

Hi. I'm Cori, a twenty-four year old Canadian living on the West Coast. I spent the past four years getting my film production degree. That meant constant trips to crafty (basically a snack and sandwich truck) to sustain energy... but it also meant being on my feet and lugging gear upwards of sixteen hours a day. I was unhealthy, no doubt about it, but I was relatively skinny and unhealthy.

Then I got a desk job.

[As a graphic designer for a television network, yay!]

The crafty truck disappeared, but so did my constant motion and lifting. I've been here five months now and my entire body feels like it's turning to Jell-O. Add to that the weirdly depressive effects of sedentary 9-5 work, and I feel crummy about my appearance as well as my health. My teenage acne has come back, and my hunching is only getting worse. Last week I tied myself to my desk chair to try and force my back straight. (It did not work.)

I'm sure part of this is just a mental adjustment, and I still enjoy GMing my Pathfinder games and visiting my local theatre on weekends, but I can feel the energy I used to have for those pursuits draining away. Grocery shopping is increasingly confusing, the thought of the gym terrifies me, and pop music's current obsession with AAASSSSSSS hasn't made me feel any better about my own lower half.

TL;DR

I would love to be: stretchy (specifically flexible), strong and stable.
[i used to be a competitive gymnast, so I remember what it's like to be in shape. It is my goal to return to a 24-year old version of that Cori.]

I feel like I am: stiff, sluggish and saggy.

I'm not sure what other information to put here. I feel like I need a wise old pixelated wizard to hand me a sword, but lately it seems like that only happens in video games. I'm scared and feel alone.

• Like 2

Level 0 Adventurer

Battle Log Intro Thread Current Challenge

Hello, Coriande! Welcome to the forums!

If I could give you the Master Sword right now I would most definitely do so without hesitation. Sadly I'm not a wizard (one of my greatest regrets), but as a community we can give you some blueprints to help you begin forging your own. Metaphor aside, we all feel like this at one point or another (in my case, daily). I'm sure that there are some people who have been working at this for years and made amazing progress, but still don't feel as though they've really "figured it out". I try to think of it as being a nonlinear game where there will always be another quest even after you've finished your current main quest. This game doesn't have a guide, but there are other players that can give us advice. Please, never think that you can't ask about something here. These wonderful people all do their best to help wherever they can. They have been very supportive of me even though we have never met irl before.

Hope this helps, even just a tiny bit.

So, again:

giphy.gif

Edit:

Yeah, it is a bit nerve-wracking for me to post here too. 

• Like 1

Hello, Coriande! Welcome to the forums!

If I could give you the Master Sword right now I would most definitely do so without hesitation. Sadly I'm not a wizard (one of my greatest regrets), but as a community we can give you some blueprints to help you begin forging your own. Metaphor aside, we all feel like this at one point or another (in my case, daily). I'm sure that there are some people who have been working at this for years and made amazing progress, but still don't feel as though they've really "figured it out". I try to think of it as being a nonlinear game where there will always be another quest even after you've finished your current main quest. This game doesn't have a guide, but there are other players that can give us advice. Please, never think that you can't ask about something here. These wonderful people all do their best to help wherever they can. They have been very supportive of me even though we have never met irl before.

Hope this helps, even just a tiny bit.

So, again:

[ Dr. Who GIF of joy ]

Edit:

Yeah, it is a bit nerve-wracking for me to post here too. 

Hi Madam!

tumblr_ljzpsm6HRR1qbmjdg.gif

Thanks, you're so sweet. I can get behind a sandbox game for sure, but I'm hoping this will work as the quest nudge at the bottom of the screen ; )

What class are you playing as? I'm a bit confused by the levelling system and the challenge rounds.

Level 0 Adventurer

I like to consider myself as a novice Assassin who wanders over to the other guilds to borrow/steal training ideas. I'm still figuring out the leveling and challenges, but here's what I think about them so far: First and foremost, one person's level 50 is another's level 1. Don't stress too much about perfecting your system, you can always adjust it as you go. From what I've seen, the majority of leveling systems are adapted to each person's goals for themselves. Some only level according to progress in fitness while others combine fitness goals with life/lifestyle goals. E.g. I will gain _% or _xp towards the next level when I can do 10 push ups with proper form, when I have transitioned to 80% paleo I will get this much closer, when I have mastered the scales for my flute I will gain 1/4 of a level, etc. Some also incorporate the 6 week challenges into their leveling system. When they find a challenge they want to do, depending on what they are comfortable with, they will either make it their training routine or they will incorporate it into their normal routine.

I'm going to try figuring out what 'level 50' is for me right now and work backwards from there to make reachable steps leading up to it. If I wanted to do 20 reps of a bodyweight movement, I would first work towards doing just one rep. When I can do that I expand that to five reps, then ten, and so forth until I reach that Holy Grail of twenty reps. After I've achieved that 'level 50', I may decide that I am capable of going even further and I will start the process again. 

Sorry that this is a bit wordy... and most likely grammatically incorrect. Just my thoughts, which I've noticed can be a bit like a Hydra in the sense that I start one and three more pop up simultaneously.  :topsy_turvy:

• Like 1

So to go with your title come the obligatory 

83-Image-2.jpg

Though Zac Gorman's comic put a seriously different spin on this classic intro

So yeah ... welcome!

Gymnast turned assassin .. I like it! Sounds like a novel/comic waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

So to go with your title come the obligatory 

83-Image-2.jpg

Though Zac Gorman's comic put a seriously different spin on this classic intro

So yeah ... welcome!

Gymnast turned assassin .. I like it! Sounds like a novel/comic waiting to happen. 

See, that already feels more badass! Puts a smile on my face this morning.

And I love all those Zelda comics. The little bit of movement and the reflective gentleness... - sigh -

What about you, Strickland? What's your profession?

Level 0 Adventurer

What about you, Strickland? What's your profession?

I'm a scout around these parts with 2 marathons under my feet and a sub-2 hour half (hopefully) coming soon!

In "real life" I'm an electrical engineer by trade/schooling and a semi-pro photog by passion. 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

I'm a scout around these parts with 2 marathons under my feet and a sub-2 hour half (hopefully) coming soon!

In "real life" I'm an electrical engineer by trade/schooling and a semi-pro photog by passion. 

I just went and creeped a few of your pages - you are a goddamn inspiration, sir. Keep doing what you doing.

I had such a slack day today, my first miss... and only four days in. But that just means getting up and doing it better tomorrow, I guess?

Level 0 Adventurer

I just went and creeped a few of your pages - you are a goddamn inspiration, sir. Keep doing what you doing.

not so sure about that thank you kindly

I had such a slack day today, my first miss... and only four days in. But that just means getting up and doing it better tomorrow, I guess?

definitely means that ... pulling yourself up by those proverbial boot straps and all that jAZzy stuff :)

Half-Ork Scout Leader

not so sure about that thank you kindly

definitely means that ... pulling yourself up by those proverbial boot straps and all that jAZzy stuff :)

This post is actually the thing that got me to work out today! (Even though it was just a baby beginner body weight workout.) I feel all accountable and fuzzy inside.

Thank you  :peaceful:

• Like 1

Level 0 Adventurer

This post is actually the thing that got me to work out today! (Even though it was just a baby beginner body weight workout.) I feel all accountable and fuzzy inside.

Thank you :peaceful:

glad to be of help :D

Now keep kicking butt!

Half-Ork Scout Leader

AHH! I want to multi-quote everything! lol

I too am a western Canadian :) so it feels nice to welcome someone I know is physically closer (sorta) - welcome aboard!!!

When it comes to jumping in with both feet - joining up to the community is a great start.  I suggest creating long and short term goals and writing them here helps with your accountability and your support team gives you extra positive kicks to keep going! I'm new to all this stuff too - in fact, just took my own advice on the weekend and posted my first 6-week challenge!  You're right - they are VERY self directed. Which is good because each person is different and needs their own goals and motivators. We're here to motivate you - you're awesome and you can succeed!!!

Onward Canadian ;) and welcome to the rebellion

• Like 1

"What do you fear?" "A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire." ~ The Two Towers

Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. ~ Earl Nightingale