Forums are back in action! ×

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I think I'll just sit in the surf and let waiters bring me fruity drinks while I get sunburnt.

I have never had waiters bring me fruity drinks, but the other part of it seems to be standard

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Now that I now that homework is mostly grading on whether or not the parent is willing to spend time sitting with their kid, I have minimized how much of the grade that homework makes up

I wish Ghostlet's teachers would figure this out.  I thought I was done with homework when I got out of school - nobody told me that half of the assigned homework essentially falls to the parents :( 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

My students actually prefer worksheets because they know how to do them and there is a very discrete end point.

The conclusion the boys got to was: it's nice to do (quick and easy), but you have to do a lot to actually remember the facts and stuff. So a worksheet in their minds mean double or triple work in the end (the fill in kind, not necessarily for math). Maybe I sort of planted/caused that idea, come to think of it... I think worksheets work for certain things they have to learn, but not all.

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I emptied out the birthday gift shelf (I buy Legos on sale) and the four different science experiment kits people gave me because baby nerds without toys makes me sad.

Nice of you!

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

22 hours ago, Jittersthe.Clown said:

I'm facing the same issues with Jitters Junior. He knows the steps, and knows how to get to the end, but somehow has turned math into the enemy. Any pro level tips for struggling parents?

Disclaimer: not a teacher. But I remember reading something when I was younger about how the idea of math being this hated subject is based on how kids interpret their parents reactions to the subject. So we've always tried to be really good at watching what we say and how we say it. 

My kids have struggled with math, but they haven't gotten to the point of "MATH IS THE ENEMY" and I think part of it is how we've framed it. Now, it's pretty easy because I love math and I'm good at it, so the kids know that they are struggling, they can come to me and I will help them out (and help them out correctly). I generally look at the problems and figure it out on the side, then ask them to explain the steps and walk through. It's not perfect, but when they see they get the same answer as "the person who knows math" it gives them a boost. 

My husband on the other hand, it not very good at math. Like, we have a running joke that if we give him a beer, he can no longer add. But if I'm on the road and unavailable, he is always willing to give it a try. And honestly, this is probably the bigger reason it's not an issue for us. Because they can see him struggle and grumble through the process, but he still tries. 

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Good Lord, I wish I knew anything, anything at all.  Now that I now that homework is mostly grading on whether or not the parent is willing to spend time sitting with their kid, I have minimized how much of the grade that homework makes up.

Here we have this weird random rule. Where homework can count up to like 20% of a grade, but cannot move a grade more than one letter. Also, most homework assignments are graded based on whether they are done, not whether they are right. Schools are weird.

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

By the time they finished saying goodbye without leaving I was asleep.

* I couldn't get dressed either because I keep my clothes in the basement.

Pretty sure I saw that movie. This might be a strategy to get them to leave sooner (or might backfire and they might show up at random times to see if they can catch you after a workout!)

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sra. Tanque doesn't really give out homework, and she teaches high school Spanish. All her assignments are designed to be completed in class.

:love_heart:

From complaints from friends I know the schools here give out LOTS of home work. It seems that homework is the majority of the work that's done for all subjects. I don't know how much it counts as part of their final points for the year along with tests and exams. There has however been a trend to minimise gr.R (K), 1 and 2's home work to no more than 30min. per day from the private schools, not gov.schools.

Personally I guess the work that I do every weekday morning with the boys count as teaching and homework rolled into one? Or will homework for us count as those things that interest them and I have to help look up after normal hours? :confused:

On 12/10/2018 at 3:04 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

My dad's 75th birthday was kind of a sad affair.  If you spend your whole as an introverted hermit who doesn't even talk to your family, you have no one to invite to a party.  We went out to eat and had cake at a place that was too affordable for a milestone birthday.

This factor is legit a huge inspiration between my focus on "Charisma" these later challenges.  I'm truly pushing myself to become an ambivert so I don't die alone.

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

On December 10, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sounds like you need another round of good bad movies. In the past when you've been consistent with the trainer over winter there was a correlation of movies to review.

That's part of the problem.  There really isn't anything I want to watch right now. 

22 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Seems like a lot has been going on.    I"m one of the "Math is the enemy types."   I seriously opted out of college because math was such an issue.  >.>  Travis is my Spirit Animal.

See below.

tumblr_ov9508GOdW1rvvjlso3_500.gif

tumblr_ov8bv8XWEy1r4gmj5o2_500.gif

It's not even proper winter yet, and I am already so done with the cold.  Today - the temps said 30, but it was that biting brutal 30... I hate when it's like that.   But then, on the days it's snowy, 30 feels great.   So weird how cold can be different types of cold.   You should watch some Critical Role on the trainer!   PERFECT SOLUTION!   It was the best 600 hours I've invested in a long time! :D

Aww.  I've got a sad.  No one should feel like they can't do math.

Critical Role huh?  I've heard good things about it.  It's been in the 20's around here.  I still haven't dug out my winter coat; I'm not willing to face up to the fact that its cold out.  What I need is a big snowfall so I can play in it.

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have never had waiters bring me fruity drinks, but the other part of it seems to be standard

I wish Ghostlet's teachers would figure this out.  I thought I was done with homework when I got out of school - nobody told me that half of the assigned homework essentially falls to the parents :( 

I knew that homework was parent dependent and that not all of my students have parent who are willing to, or maybe able to, help/ force them to do it.  But it was really driven home how much the parent is involved when I ended up in that role.  

Today I'm arguing with Slothgirl about bringing it home so we can start it.

13 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

The conclusion the boys got to was: it's nice to do (quick and easy), but you have to do a lot to actually remember the facts and stuff. So a worksheet in their minds mean double or triple work in the end (the fill in kind, not necessarily for math). Maybe I sort of planted/caused that idea, come to think of it... I think worksheets work for certain things they have to learn, but not all.

Nice of you!

They're good for practicing anything that's kind of repetitious or for keeping teacher input to a minimum.

10 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Here we have this weird random rule. Where homework can count up to like 20% of a grade, but cannot move a grade more than one letter. Also, most homework assignments are graded based on whether they are done, not whether they are right. Schools are weird.

Pretty sure I saw that movie. This might be a strategy to get them to leave sooner (or might backfire and they might show up at random times to see if they can catch you after a workout!)

That rule kind of makes sense.  If the grade book grades on a percentage, a couple of missing homework can really tank their grades.  I don't grade based entirely on completion, but if there's a real attempt to do it I won't fail them no matter how wrong they are.

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sra. Tanque doesn't really give out homework, and she teaches high school Spanish. All her assignments are designed to be completed in class.

That would be nice.  The problem here is that homework is one of the things that causes students to fail high school classes and drop out because they're behind in credits.  We fight it hard in sixth grade, it's easier in seventh, and they're pretty good about it in eight grade.  

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

13 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

:love_heart:

From complaints from friends I know the schools here give out LOTS of home work. It seems that homework is the majority of the work that's done for all subjects. I don't know how much it counts as part of their final points for the year along with tests and exams. There has however been a trend to minimise gr.R (K), 1 and 2's home work to no more than 30min. per day from the private schools, not gov.schools.

Personally I guess the work that I do every weekday morning with the boys count as teaching and homework rolled into one? Or will homework for us count as those things that interest them and I have to help look up after normal hours? :confused:

Giving far too much homework is one of the ways that schools qualify themselves as a high performing school.  What they're really doing is selecting for families that are high expecting and high achieving.  Those students would do just as well with a more reasonable workload.  

There is no data that students in grades 1-5 benefit from homework.  Although, almost all do need more math practice somewhere.

Your whole life is homework ;)

34 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

This factor is legit a huge inspiration between my focus on "Charisma" these later challenges.  I'm truly pushing myself to become an ambivert so I don't die alone.

I totally get that.  It is pure blind luck that I haven't died alone already (without Mrs. Sloth I probably would have died of starvation or from complications of my last concussion).  I don't know how I lucked into having friends or a spouse at all.  Charisma is my dump stat.  I don't think I've gained any charisma over the years, but I've forced myself to put skill points into things that work like charisma or extroversion.  You, at least, are handsome and have a kicking beard.

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

12/11/18 Tuesday

I know it's only been a day, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did yesterday.  Sometimes I worry that I've crashed on my head too many times, other times I assume it's just that I'm creeping up on old age.  I've been watching videos from a married couple that are grassroots professional mountain bikers.* One thing that struck me is how willing they are to crash.  I've always been far too reluctant to push the edge of my skills in order to chase speed.

*Surprisingly I've never really watched mountain biking videos before.  I've always just assumed they were all Red Bull macho bullshit.  But I've been missing out.  I've been learning a lot as I watch them and even Red Bull puts out some compelling shows.  I might make a long playlist to watch while I ride the trainer.

Anyway,  Light kettlebell day.

Circuit of get ups at 12 kg*, 15 BW squats, 7 pushups, 10 glute bridges.  Finished with 5X10 KB swings at 16kg.  

I haven't done this one yet.  It was definitely a light workout; it didn't feel any more strenuous than my warm up or DDPYoga.  However, the body weight stuff got my heart beating hard.  I guess I need more interval type workouts and instead of more steady state cardio

*should have been windmills, but I can't quite get that one down.  I was a little nervous because the day before I dropped a KB during get ups - I have to raise the bell carefully to not hit a joist and I let it get too far in front of me.

• Like 8

I struggle with windmills.  The KB book I did recently had kneeling windmills as a progression, and that seemed much more do- able. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I struggle with windmills.  The KB book I did recently had kneeling windmills as a progression, and that seemed much more do- able. 

Hmmm, yeah, I should probably put the time in and actually learn how to do them.  I feel like my body doesn't really bend like that either.  I put that book on my Amazon wishlist.  I won't get it for Christmas though, but people will still complain that I'm hard to shop for.  Actually I don't really want anything, so I guess I am hard to shop for.  #oldmanproblems

12/12/18 Wednesday

No fitnessing was done this day.  Riding the trainer was planned, and I intended to do it, but I ran out of time.  The weird batdog was finally adopted.  I waited for the new owner to show up while I cleaned the house and nagged the kids about their rooms.  The new owner hasn't had dogs before and had lots of odd questions, like would batdog be ok if she was locked in the bathroom for an hour or would she claw up the door?  I didn't know.  My guess was that she was planning on getting busy with her boyfriend and didn't want the dog jumping on the bed.  Mrs. Sloth said, afterwards, that she was a nerd and didn't have a boyfriend (which I took great offense to).

Batdog picked on brown dog (brown dog started it) and brown dog has started to get mean toward other dogs.  I'm not sure how we're going to handle it, except to require that she be an only dog and no kids.

Afterwards I worked on the house some more because MIL is coming today.  I still need to clean the bathrooms before she gets here.  :( I need to buy more beer too. ;) 

Also, doing kettlebells is a great mood stabilizer.  I always forget that when I've not been doing them for a while.

• Like 5

I just watched a video clip on kettlebell windmills and there’s no way I’m doing that and not getting a concussion within six minutes

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

31 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Hmmm, yeah, I should probably put the time in and actually learn how to do them.  I feel like my body doesn't really bend like that either.  

Also, doing kettlebells is a great mood stabilizer.  I always forget that when I've not been doing them for a while.

It is, isn't it?! 

22 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

I just watched a video clip on kettlebell windmills and there’s no way I’m doing that and not getting a concussion within six minutes

I strongly feel that windmills aren't worth doing anyway. And that has absolutely nothing to do with my inability to learn them :P

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

:smile-new:So glad to hear you guys struggle with this one too. It's like one of those weird yoga moves where you are supposed to turn into a pretzel, only now you are holding a weighted object.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Alright, if KB Girl can’t do them, ain’t nobody can do them.

I’m assuming he put the windmill in to work on hip mobility and to connect the hips and the shoulders in order to improve the ability to corner a mountain bike. Probably also for shoulder stability.

I think I can get most of the benefit by adding a stick windmill in the warmup and continuing to practice get ups.

The trainer is obviously a Dan John fanboy, I think he’d approve.
  • Like 3

I can't do get ups either, so I bow in awe of your skills :D

About the lunges/squats thing, I just realised perhaps you're doing a static lunge variation? The interesting thing about it is that if you step out for the lunge every rep or do walking lunges, then the movement chain is completely different. So the muscle groups are largely the same but for lunges your movement chain is working to slow down a movement, as you do in walking.. you're always de-accalerating to put your foot down gently. So it's sort of like pulling with your legs, if that makes sense? 

However if you're doing lunges where you're not stepping out, but standing in the position and going up and down.. then it's actually a squat variation and using that movement chain. So then it would transfer. 

It's really interesting because you can figure out what you're doing with running (lunges) or mountain biking (probably squats, havent thought about it before, but I don't think you're de-accelerating?). And then you can ask yourself, why do football/rugby/soccer players bother with squats, since they're mostly running? And the answer is that in those sports the sprinting bits are most important and there is no de-accelarting in sprinting so that's mostly a squatting movement chain. Good stuff eh. 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I can't do get ups either, so I bow in awe of your skills :D

About the lunges/squats thing, I just realised perhaps you're doing a static lunge variation? The interesting thing about it is that if you step out for the lunge every rep or do walking lunges, then the movement chain is completely different. So the muscle groups are largely the same but for lunges your movement chain is working to slow down a movement, as you do in walking.. you're always de-accalerating to put your foot down gently. So it's sort of like pulling with your legs, if that makes sense? 

However if you're doing lunges where you're not stepping out, but standing in the position and going up and down.. then it's actually a squat variation and using that movement chain. So then it would transfer. 

It's really interesting because you can figure out what you're doing with running (lunges) or mountain biking (probably squats, havent thought about it before, but I don't think you're de-accelerating?). And then you can ask yourself, why do football/rugby/soccer players bother with squats, since they're mostly running? And the answer is that in those sports the sprinting bits are most important and there is no de-accelarting in sprinting so that's mostly a squatting movement chain. Good stuff eh. 

Don't be in awe, my get ups are ugly.

Yes, I do a static reverse lunge.  Since I'm trying to improve my biking I focus on driving through the forward leg (acceleration) and only use the rear leg for a bit of balance.  I prefer lunges to squats because it feels more like the stress of biking.  My legs are too far apart when I squat for it to be a perfect match.  

Most people probably squat because they can put up big numbers and lunges are sucky and painful for some people.  Rugby players do a lot of pushing people around; I would assume that big, meaty hams and glutes would be useful there.

---------------------------------

12/13/18 Thursday

I found out the brown dog bit two of Slothgirl's friends.  This changes things.  We sought out some advice from the smart people at the adoption agency.  They sent us some articles they use for pitbulls.  Basically you take away the dog's decision making ability so she can learn she's not in charge.  She's either tethered to an adult or in her crate.  After a week or two she should figure out that the people are alpha.  If she's still growling and snapping at people in a few days I'm going to insist we send her back.

MIL is having a big problem with this.  She thinks she'd be ok with the dog loose because "dogs love her" and she won't bite her.  Even if that were true, MIL can't get it through her head that something isn't about her.  At one point I yelled, "I swear I will let her bite you if you don't stop complaining!"  *sigh*  I probably should have started the visit with MIL getting bit. Right now my plan is for me and the dog to spend the rest of her visit in the basement.  I might as well get a head start on the spring bike maintenance.  

Training: It was the hard KB day, but I can't remember the circuit off the top of my head.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Your MIL must have being really insufferable for you to say anything at all, much less to actually tell a threat. 

My thoughts too! I get along with most dogs, and very seldom have a problem, but even I won't take things for granted. I know what to do with my own dogs if they act out, but a dog that you foster is a bit different. I'm sorry you have to spend your time in the basement, but at least *bike* maintenance = peace and relative quiet. Good luck with this situation.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:34 AM, KB Girl said:

It's really interesting because you can figure out what you're doing with running (lunges)

On 12/14/2018 at 1:20 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Most people probably squat because they can put up big numbers and lunges are sucky and painful for some people.  Rugby players do a lot of pushing people around; I would assume that big, meaty hams and glutes would be useful there.

A couple of years ago I read an article about Usain Bolt's weight training. The guy hates squats. Doesn't stop him from doing them or many reps on the leg press, but he prefers walking lunges and power cleans when it comes to weights. 

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On December 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Your MIL must have ben being really insufferable for you to say anything at all, much less to actually yell a threat. 

It was still a jerk move on my part, but I can't make myself feel bad about it.  The crux of the problem as I see it, is that MIL always gets her way.  If she doesn't she natters, and natters, and natters until the other person gives up and lets her have her way.  It's been like that forever and everyone just gives in right away and then talks about her behind her back.  I am just not very good at this and I've ended up being the only person to tell her no about anything.  From her perspective I'm an asshole.  I can't say she's wrong.

On December 15, 2018 at 1:33 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

My thoughts too! I get along with most dogs, and very seldom have a problem, but even I won't take things for granted. I know what to do with my own dogs if they act out, but a dog that you foster is a bit different. I'm sorry you have to spend your time in the basement, but at least *bike* maintenance = peace and relative quiet. Good luck with this situation.

Hah.  Thanks. 

5 hours ago, jstanlick said:

A couple of years ago I read an article about Usain Bolt's weight training. The guy hates squats. Doesn't stop him from doing them or many reps on the leg press, but he prefers walking lunges and power cleans when it comes to weights. 

It sounds like he likes ballistics more than grinds.  I get that.  That's why I do kettle bells and sandbags and not barbells.

• Like 2

12/14/18 Friday

I was supposed to do the light KB workout on Thursday and the heavy one today.  Oops.  Instead of the light workout I did DDPYoga Energy.  There was a whole lot of overlap, the only thing missing was the KB swings finisher.

In the evening we went to a hip hop show.  Dem Atlas and Atmosphere.  It was phenomenal (did I spell that right?), but we were the oldest folks there.  :)  The young hottie behind us said, "It's so cute." that we were at our first Atmosphere show.  A couple of noticing from being around young folks, everyone was really drunk and/ or stoned, almost everyone was wearing flannel, and the hipsters have shaved their lumberjack beards off.  The show was stupidly loud, even through my earplugs my ears hurt.  Before the end I excused myself to the rear of the theater for some relief.  Beforehand we went to a Somali restaurant next to the venue.  It was just a counter service place, but it was very good and it had about the best African tea I've ever had.

12/15/18 Saturday

We spent the whole day at the in-laws for a Christmas event.  It wasn't terrible.  There's a point every year when we all wear silly hats and accessories.  As it started MIL stated loudly, "I gotta make sure to take a picture of everyone.  When it was my turn to don my togs she put her phone away :) and took it back out when I was done.

No fitnessing was done.

12/16/18 Sunday

I was sick as Hell.  I spent nearly the entire day either sleeping or throwing up.  Mrs. Sloth arranged for a friend to show up as Sant Claus for pictures (its his side gig), but I could not drag my carcass out of bed to participate in pictures.  While I dozed I watched some you tubers.  Did you know there are people making money by having other people watch them play video games?  I did not.  Surely our civilization has run it's course.  

Today I dragged my carcass to work, but it was an ugly day.  

This was my favorite song of the show.  It was much more dynamic live.  It seems likely the singer was a Steven Tyler (of Aerosmith) fan - he was a rock star onstage.

Here's an Atmosphere (the headliner) song with a similar theme:

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We spent the whole day at the in-laws for a Christmas event.  It wasn't terrible.  There's a point every year when we all wear silly hats and accessories.  As it started MIL stated loudly, "I gotta make sure to take a picture of everyone.  When it was my turn to don my togs she put her phone away :) and took it back out when I was done.

My hope for you is that you can find that sweet spot of getting her to pretend you don't exist for extended periods of time.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

17 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This was my favorite song of the show.  It was much more dynamic live.  It seems likely the singer was a Steven Tyler (of Aerosmith) fan - he was a rock star onstage.

Here's an Atmosphere (the headliner) song with a similar theme:

Never heard of either of these bands, but I quite like the Atmosphere song! B)

• Like 1

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

I forgot to mention, Saturday was nerd night. Our DM has given up on us following what he thinks is a logical sequence to our game and has started an “episodic” modern D20 game so we can’t take it off the rails.

It’s a Jason Bourne type thing. Which is not a genre I’m familiar with. So my character is the healer, an up north reservation doctor who has had to do just about everything. He’s also handy with a hunting rifle. I think I can pull that off.

Here was the DM’s last straw. My character was abandoned by his family. He was sent into town to buy a frying pan and when he got back the caravan was gone.

We were rafting down a river and saw the caravan. My father was trying to get a stuck wagon out of the river. I don’t know what he thought I would do, but I yelled, “Here’s your frying pan you Son offa Bitch!” Threw the frying pan, rolled an 18, and conked him on the head.” As we floated by I was flipping him off as the rest of his caravan (my family) guffawed.

This prevented us from doing whatever it was we were supposed to do. I kept telling him to railroad us, but he plays the game straight.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7