Forums are back in action! ×

Step by step journey through the Kam Laros, or hi, I'm Noor.

"Hi All, Hail and well met.  I am Noor VonKlaven: trouble maker, animal lover, and stabbinator of  all bad things." 

I  am here because my life has taken a turn for the complicated and I am trying to get back to myself. I have been athletic all my life, as well as chubby. Generally I have also been ok with that. I ma a big fan of the health at every size movement and have worked really hard to let go of valuing thinness over health.  I have a complex relationship with food and also a fairly serious thyroid disorder that has impacted my entire  hormonal system and kidney function. Add to that a trip through grad school and  working a couple jobs and I am now the most sedentary I have ever been on top of everything else. Needless to say, I have gained  a ridiculous amount of weight in the past two years and I hate it. 

I opened with Noor describing herself because  as well as being my current DnD character and favorite character to date,  she is kind of my role model. She is a halfling who is fiercely loyal and totally empowered despite a fairly profound physical limitation.  She is nicknamed "runtmean" by the party because she is the smallest, but  there is no challenge that she will not through herself into  and generally succeed at despite the odds. 

I want to channel that part of myself that is Noor and take back my body, take back my health and take back my life. I look forward to getting to know this community and to starting out in my first challenge next weekend. Anyone else out there looking to lose 100 + lbs?  I would love to find more friends on this journey who are dealing with similar issues to mine. 

• Like 2

Lv 0 Leandran Ranger

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Current Challenge: Surakha Rises: The hunt for Ebon

Hiya, Noor. I saw you over in the LGBTQA thread. :3

It's pretty cool that you're inspired by your own D&D character. That means there's a part of you that you're already inspired by, so hang on to that and don't let go!

I think a lot of people have this mixed-up idea of thin and healthy... myself definitely included. It's good that you're already well aware that "skinny" does not mean "healthy". 200 lbs is still a very large amount to lose... There is a thread for ladies in a similar boat. I'm also looking to drop quite a bit - I have about 100 lbs of extra fat on me. Looks like you've already lost around 5 lbs, which is nothing to sneeze at. Every journey starts somewhere, right? :)

What are your specific plans/goals for the upcoming challenge?

What are your specific plans/goals for the upcoming challenge?

I am hoping to  walk 10 minutes a day,  do body weight based strength training and track my food. I want to keep things really simple because I am ridiculously out of shape.  Most of the time when I have tried to get back on the fitness horse, I have  taken on way too much too fast and burned out, so I am really focused on conservative.  How about you? 

Lv 0 Leandran Ranger

I'm also taking it slow for my first challenge, since I know I also have a propensity for burn out. This time, I just want to establish good habits - I don't care too much if I don't actually see measurable results on weight loss or fitness yet. I know it will take time.

I'm trying to connect to the NF community in ways that motivate me, rather than through things that wear me out. Making myself exercise when I don't feel like it, or tracking my calories when I've got a long list of foods for the day are things that wear me out, in terms of motivation. Creating recipes and chatting with like-minded people is motivating. :)

Welcome!

What D&D are you playing? 5e?

Your character description makes me want to read more Rat Queens

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Welcome!

What D&D are you playing? 5e?

Your character description makes me want to read more Rat Queens

We are currently playing 5e, converted over from Pathfinder and loving it- gods its fast. I'm glad you liked my description- What a complement, I love rat queens!

• Like 1

Lv 0 Leandran Ranger

Never got into Pathfinder as I dropped D&D 3.X for Savage Worlds and FATE. My home group disbanded and my new gaming group got into 5e which I'm seriously enjoying ... my FayLock with delusions of a grand destiny is SO fun to play :)

Oh and

YAY RAT QUEENS!  :)

rq.jpg

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback