Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings, Salutations and Hellos from Atlanta

Alright so I'm posting here cause well I'm a noob who found Nerd Fitness a month or so ago, and the forum section about twenty minutes after that. A bit about lil'ole me...

I'm a 31yr gamer, photog, engineer as well a husband to my amazing wife and "father" to our two kittens. In early 2010 I weighed in at 300lbs and had borderline high cholesterol - not a the best of combinations for a 30 year old to face. With that wake up call my wife and I started walking and hiking as a way to get in shape. In October 2010 a friend of ours tricked us into signing up for a trail run saying "Its just like hiking". 2 years later my wife and I are running our first half-marathon in less than a week.

Over those two years I've gotten down to 230lbs and have gone from a a 44" waist to a 36" - great results. To get there my wife and I counted calories and run... alot. We presently pound out 25-30 miles a week on any combination of treadmill, trail, and road. I've been sitting at 230lbs for about three months now and am wondering if I need to shift my workout - we've done very little in the way of weight or cross fit until recently when we added in rowing, push ups, sits/crunches and the like. Now I'm reading up on cross fit and interval training which I think is the next step for me.

So that's where I am, presently running like mad and looking to mix things up. Pleasure to meet y'all, hope to see ya around the interwebs sooner or later

For some reason I totally forgot my nerd cred

• Started playing table top role playing games at age 8
  • Still run a game for my friends on occasion we can get together (Deadlands Reloaded is the flavor of the month)
  • I played Warcraft versus my friend over modem
  • I had the Nintendo Power Set growing up
  • Read way too much scifi/fantasy for my own good
  • Have played UO, EQ, WoW, AoC and several other MMOs on and off over the years (off these days)
  • I went to Georgia Tech and got out in 5 years with my Electrical Engineering Degree
  • Playing 10 hours of Twilight Imperium has to count for something ... right?
  • I collect comics, DVDs/BluRays
  • Recently started watching WAY too much Doctor Who.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Yay Atlanta!

Can't say I'm an Atlantan per say, as I'm from the oh so small town of Gray,GA but definitely consider Atlanta home.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

hey strickland, welcome to the nerd peloton... i lost about 100lbs in the past year to 158#s in the last 12 months... have you considered calculating your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and tracking your caloric intake and expenditure. also making good choices with food helps. i had great success with it last year. kudos on traveling down the road with your wife, i hope mine will be joining me soon, but she hasn't made the jump yet...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance