Forums are back in action! ×

Badass wannabe looking for support!

Hi everyone! I'm Julianne, a 20 year old college student. My New Year's Resolution this year is to be more "badass." I know it doesn't quite fit SMART goal criteria, but it's more the general intention I'm setting for myself. :)

As a TV and movie geek, I find what motivates me most to get fit is the idea of strong, badass action heroines. Thinking about things this way really helps me to get excited about the functional, rather than the aesthetic, side of fitness. (Looking good matters to me somewhat, but as a feminist, I'm super tired of being told which exercises will tone my tush.) I also have a healthy little streak of survivalism in me. I want to be able to fight if I need to and survive any hypothetical situation...be it the Hunger Games or a zombie apocalypse!

Nerd Fitness has really spoken to me and my philosophy of fitness, and I'm SO excited to join a community of like-minded people, largely because my friend group at the moment is not very supportive at all. I started the Paleo Whole30 on January 1st and have avoided telling people because I invariably get a response of perplexity. You should have seen the look on one friend's face when I tried to explain spaghetti squash! It's tough because I live with a group of close friends and am easily the most interested in getting fit. Some say they are, but they aren't really serious about it and mock me when I decline unhealthy food or try to eat well. I just got back a couple of days ago and have already had to fend off several offers of non-Paleo food. I kept incognito for a couple of days but was forced to "out" myself as a Whole30er today when my friends prepared a huge breakfast feast and I opted not to join in. The responses were unenthusiastic to say the least and made me feel ashamed, which is ridiculous. Why does it make me a weirdo to want to feel good?

Luckily, I have a wonderful fitness partner, my geek boyfriend who has supported me every step of the way, even doing the Whole30 with me (which has been an adventure). I love healthy cooking and have made it a part of my life with gusto. While I've had some success with (on and off) healthy eating, I never stick with my intentions to exercise. That changes now. I'm on the right track with eating strict Paleo this month, and next month's goal is to adopt an exercise routine. In the future, I have Crossfit and martial arts aspirations.

Gah, thanks for reading, sorry for telling my life story! I hope that Nerd Fitness can be my "Jedi Council" of sorts, and look forward to being part of this community. :)

Whenever I feel bad, I use that feeling to motivate me to work harder. I only allow myself one day to feel sorry for myself. I ask myself, What are you gonna do about it? I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me. –Beyonce

Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...-- Isak Dinesen

Excellent! Welcome to the boards. Plenty of information, support and randomness to be had here. Have you read Staci's Story yet? It's pretty motivating and right up your alley as far being a badass goes.

Since you said you are going to make exercise a priority starting next month, what are you thoughts so far on routines? Let us know and we can help point you in a direction. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Me too! ... Er wait a sec.

Welcome aboard

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I have read Staci's story, and find it really inspiring. I'd love for my fitness story to go like hers. :) So as far as workout routine plans, I definitely want to lift weights! I have done routines in the past but always wimped out instead of following through. A big obstacle I have is my school's weight room, which is very male dominated. As a shy person, I'm not sure how to be comfortable in that scene. I know I'll have to find a way to get over myself, though.

I'm guilty of being a serial routine starter...and not a finisher (in the past, I've tried New Rules of Lifting for Women and many other routines). Next month, I'm thinking about starting with the Angry Birds workout, or using Steve's suggestions from http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/ to make my own full body workouts three times a week (I own the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises which has lots of lifting moves). Thoughts?

Whenever I feel bad, I use that feeling to motivate me to work harder. I only allow myself one day to feel sorry for myself. I ask myself, What are you gonna do about it? I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me. –Beyonce

Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...-- Isak Dinesen

Yay for fellow action heroine wannabes! :) :) :)

Welcome! I'm so in on the badass movie herione deal! And survivalism! Yes!

I think you've definitely come to the right place. Besides, this about you being awesome and doing something good for yourself. Clearly your friends aren't recognizing this (and I completely understand). Good luck with sticking with your goals! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Anyone who is preparing for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse is worth knowing in my book, welcome to the Rebellion...

This is my weekly Blog, From Fat to Bat; one man's journey to be Batman...

This is my Intro thread...

Convict Conditioning:: Push Ups - lvl 2 || Squats - lvl 1 || Pull Ups - lvl 2 || Leg Raise - lvl 1 || Bridges - lvl 1 || Handstands - lvl 0

Current Body (2012.02.12) :: 5'10" || 270 lbs || Waist: 48" || Thigh: 25" || Arms: 14" || BF%: 36 || Young Bruce Level

Hey you, I just started brazilian jiu jitsu and MMA classes a few months ago. Actually signing up was the scariest part. Also sometimes I am the only girl, but that doesn't bother me. If you have questions about what its like to get started let me know :) I'm also trying to do the weightlifting thing again to get stronger for martial arts. If you want a buddy let me know.