Forums are back in action! ×

Rebellion 5k

So I ran it today rockin that treadmill. I was slow but I'm okay with walking part of it.

The reason: less than 10 months ago I had major knee and ankle surgery. Doc said all sorts of stuff about limited activity and no running, etc. I have chosen to defeat those limits. I'm taking it slow, but boy am I really happy tonight. This was a goal I set a couple of months ago, so this came along at the right time.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm in. Not much of a runner, but I'll find a 5k course and give it a go.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Knocked this out last night at the gym. I pushed a little harder than I probably should have, but it felt pretty dang good.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

3.1 miles nonstop! That's farther than I've run in at least 15 years. My time was about 10 minutes slower than my high school time, but I busted my hump on the last lap and finished under 30 minutes. It felt pretty good.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

3.1 miles nonstop! That's farther than I've run in at least 15 years. My time was about 10 minutes slower than my high school time, but I busted my hump on the last lap and finished under 30 minutes. It felt pretty good.

excellent!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Weather finally broke so I did a nice little 5k out and back for the race. First run in my new Vibram Seeyas...best shoes ever!

Hmm the Seeyas eh? What's so great about them. My 3 year old KSOs finally got a hole in them :( so I need to start looking for a replacement.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Hmm the Seeyas eh? What's so great about them. My 3 year old KSOs finally got a hole in them :( so I need to start looking for a replacement.

I had to retire my KSOs too, and have been hanging for the new SeeYas. They're similar to the KSOs in that they're covered and have just the one velcro strap over the top. They're super light though and the sole feels thinner, and is a bit more sculpted, so they fit my soles a bit more closely. They're seemless and really flexible, so no rubbing issues either. I'm not sure how long they'll last as thy don't feel as substantial as the KSO, but time will tell.

God, I sound like a commercial, but really, they're very nice for running. :)

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Well I tried, but failed. I got to about 2km when my knee decided it had had enough :( Last week was a similar story, but closer to the 4km mark.

I think it's an IT band thing; does anyone know of any exercises that would help get through this? I'd really rather not have to stop running!

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness

Well I tried, but failed. I got to about 2km when my knee decided it had had enough :( Last week was a similar story, but closer to the 4km mark.

I think it's an IT band thing; does anyone know of any exercises that would help get through this? I'd really rather not have to stop running!

StrengthRunning.com, which is run by Jason Fitz, the guy who partnered up with Steve for the Rebel Running Guide has some great resources for ITBS (some of the best I've ever seen - wish I knew about it when I had ITBS a couple years ago)

For diagnosis, have a look here:

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/

And for treatment, Jason's got a great routine on video:

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

Also, I'd strongly recommend seeing a physiotherapist as my ITBS was fixed pretty quickly once I sought treatment.

Good luck!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Weather permitting I was actually going to try for 5K tomorrow, though I hadn't intended to attempt running the whole way; I only did ~1.75 miles without stopping last time. But my body still seemed to have some running left even if my brain hated me, so we'll see what happens, and if I end up alternating between walking and sprinting the last third or quarter, it'll still count.

Weather permitting I was actually going to try for 5K tomorrow, though I hadn't intended to attempt running the whole way; I only did ~1.75 miles without stopping last time. But my body still seemed to have some running left even if my brain hated me, so we'll see what happens, and if I end up alternating between walking and sprinting the last third or quarter, it'll still count.

By all means! Interspersing walking and running is a great way to increase your distance. The trick is to start mixing in the walking portions early on before your legs get too tired. Best of luck!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

DONE! Can't say I enjoyed every minute of it, but I did manage to run all of them. Thanks for the challenge!

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Signed up and recorded my time on the same day! (Signed up after recording my time, actually...)

The loop that I did was slightly over 5K -- Livestrong says that it's 3.21 mi, which is 5.17km. So my time is slightly better than what I logged, but close enough. Also, it was under 30 minutes. \o/

I did it!

I was cool for the first two miles, and then the stinking thinking came in... I did stop and walk for a bit. But even though I wanted to stop altogether, I did it! Wheeeeeee!

We are the champions, my fri-end, lalala....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

StrengthRunning.com, which is run by Jason Fitz, the guy who partnered up with Steve for the Rebel Running Guide has some great resources for ITBS (some of the best I've ever seen - wish I knew about it when I had ITBS a couple years ago)

For diagnosis, have a look here:

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/

And for treatment, Jason's got a great routine on video:

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

Also, I'd strongly recommend seeing a physiotherapist as my ITBS was fixed pretty quickly once I sought treatment.

Good luck!

Thank you for that - I think I need to go and get myself a giant elastic band tonight :)

I'm hoping to not need anything professional help wise, I can't really afford it, but if this starts being much longer term then I suppose I should start seriously considering it. One way or another I'll get myself back up to running speed before then next 5k challenge!

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness

That's it, the inaugural Rebellion 5k is officially over!

Congratulations to everyone who participated. We had 17 people turn up for the race and there were some great times out there!

So without further ado, the winners (men and women) of the first ever Rebellion 5k are:

Men

Name: Will

Time: 20 minutes, 22 seconds

Women

Name: weirdquark

Time: 29 minutes, 26 seconds

Full results have been posted, so if you've run, be sure to check them out!

Again, congratulations to our winners, and thanks to everyone who got out there and had a go.

Wanna go again?

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)