Forums are back in action! ×

115 Royal Burpee Challenge - You in?

Yeah, that shirt is definitely awesome looking. Does everyone realize this challenge is almost 4 months long?

Yeah, that is crazy long. I'm really curious to see how things go for everyone as the numbers increase.

Have fun, im a big fan of group challenges but I just have to say I'm really not a fan of these. it's really not the best way to train - please please please be careful and don't hurt yourselves.

I was wondering the same thing as Matilda and lathomas. I keep imagining that a challenge like this is similar to the story of a farmer picking up a calf every day from the time it's born, and eventually he can pick up a full-grown cow. Not that I actually believe the story, but it seems like the gradual increase would make it a bit easier for your body to adjust, no?

I can't find the purchase-button, though.. (for the t-shirt).

Maybe it will be available after the challenge?

Awesome! According to http://www.timeanddate.com the last day will be Tuesday, June 5, 2012! I have tuesdays off from work!! Woot!

The site I linked to says, Start with one burpee on Saturday, February 11. The second day, do two burpees continuing to add one each day until June 4, when we will do 115 burpees in honor of what would be Royal H. Burpee’s 115th birthday. Either way, that's a lotta burpees! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Gradual increase is good for you, sure.

But you need rest.

I wouldn't recommend doing the same exercise every day no matter what it is.

By the end you're pretty much doing 100 burpees every single day for a few weeks. You're setting yourself up for overuse injuries. I mean, I guess if you're doing them throughout the day isn't as bad as if you're doing them with intensity, but then what's the point in doing them at all?

I mean, I've done stupider things (like, say, the 1000 burpees at once thing).

I absolutely love burpees, think they have a place in EVERYONES training program, but only do burpees 2-3 times a week tops, personally.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
How about if you just did the M-W-F of the program? For instance, this week, you'd do 3 on Monday, 5 on Wednesday, and 7 on Friday, and then end with a week of 108 on Monday, 110 on Wednesday, and 112 on Friday, before doing the full 115 on Monday 4th June?

A million times better :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Are you doing the burpees of the rest day on the next day then??

If he's using the way I worked it out, no, that gets insane very quickly. You just skip every day that isn't Monday, Wednesday or Friday. You're increasing at the same rate, but swapping the inbetween days for recovery days.

If he's using the way I worked it out, no, that gets insane very quickly. You just skip every day that isn't Monday, Wednesday or Friday. You're increasing at the same rate, but swapping the inbetween days for recovery days.

I do not think that is what gugi is talking about. I believe he is going off the rules in that you have to make up for the days you do not do burpees. If you do not make them up, then technically adding up all of the reps (6670), at the end of the challenge you will only be doing about less than 1/3 of the original reps.

I honestly don't care how many burpees you do or when, but I think that is what he was referring to.

PS- Doing my 3 now.

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

I do not think that is what gugi is talking about. I believe he is going off the rules in that you have to make up for the days you do not do burpees. If you do not make them up, then technically adding up all of the reps (6670), at the end of the challenge you will only be doing about less than 1/3 of the original reps.

I honestly don't care how many burpees you do or when, but I think that is what he was referring to.

PS- Doing my 3 now.

This is why I said I'd rather do 116 every other day-- the total number of burpees ends up being the same and you get rest days. But that won't work if you need to start with doing fewer than that.

No? He was responding to Spezzi's post about my M-W-F idea, and stated that he'd be taking her advice and doing the modifications I'd just described. Follow the quotes.

A bit of both. I was suggesting that you get your rest days, but stay on the rules of the challenge and make up for it on work days.

(Did my three after today's WOD. Yep, the second after. Even though my eyes darkened (is that a word?) during the last round.)

Tomorrow is rest day, so I'll do them first thing out of bed :-)

Gradual increase is good for you, sure.

But you need rest.

I wouldn't recommend doing the same exercise every day no matter what it is.

By the end you're pretty much doing 100 burpees every single day for a few weeks. You're setting yourself up for overuse injuries. I mean, I guess if you're doing them throughout the day isn't as bad as if you're doing them with intensity, but then what's the point in doing them at all?

I mean, I've done stupider things (like, say, the 1000 burpees at once thing).

I absolutely love burpees, think they have a place in EVERYONES training program, but only do burpees 2-3 times a week tops, personally.

Hopefully everyone doing the challenge will listen to their bodies and not do anything that would lead to injury. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Did 10 yesterday to catch up!

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

We did 3 sets of 20 burpees in the WOD this morning, so I think I'm covered for today.

I imagine what I will do is perhaps when it gets to higher numbers alternate days between doing them all at once and breaking them up into sets or something of that nature. Although it may be awhile before that's necessary.

That sounds like a good plan. I may try it. :)

If my burpees turn into Slurpees (Sloppy Burpees) I know I'm pushing too hard ;^)

Haha, I'll have to use that term. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead