Forums are back in action! ×

Looks like Niantic are shooting down cheaters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4xee70/niantic_ban_wavebot_destruction_megathread/

I look forward to being able to compete in gyms again, against people who actually got off their asses and played the game properly.

• Like 1

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

34 minutes ago, Grayspeed said:

I look forward to being able to compete in gyms again, against people who actually got off their asses and played the game properly.

yeah but I do wish they hadn't blocked sites like pokeadvisor :(

• Like 2

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

8 hours ago, Traxex said:

yeah but I do wish they hadn't blocked sites like pokeadvisor :(

True, I don't know why they can't just give us stats in-game.

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

Team updated on the front page.

I'm level 23 now and also on the IV perfecting train. I won't evolve a pokemon as a keeper unless IVs add up to 38 or more. I have a 39-43 Bulbasaur waiting for me to get candies, at 87 or so right now. I also found that Philly has a charmander nest in the park next to the football stadium. Got 8 in 20 minutes last week, can't wait to have a chance to get down there with more spare time.

On 7/29/2016 at 5:24 PM, Grayspeed said:

My Pokemon Go tragedy

The setting: 10pm. Friday night. A rural village. Only 2 pokestops within 1km.

*A Wartortle spawns right outside my house!*

*535 CP*

*Only 2 great balls left*

*Fail to capture*

*Run to nearest pokestop (30 second sprint down the road)*

*Get 2 pokeballs and a potion*

*Run back home*

*Fail to capture again*

*Wait for pokestop to reset*

*Run back to pokestop*

*Get this message*

lTSQ72XOmHeMM9K1P-AB6_zwePuU88wKszflW5R0

*Try for nearly 5 minutes to no avail*

*Pokestop never works*

*Wartortle despawns*

*Eternal sadness*

Why pokestop, why?

giphy.gif

This is fixed if you restart the app. Happens to me all the time if I'm on the fringe of the stop and spin it. Much of the time the spin has actually registered, but the inventory doesn't update until the restart.

On 8/8/2016 at 8:58 PM, Waldo said:

It has to be estimated/calculated from CP, HP, position on the arc, and candy req to power up.  They are 3 hidden values that differentiate each Pokémon, that sticks with them through evolutions.  The better the IV's, the stronger they can be.  Perfect sets (15, 15, 15) are quite rare (more common from eggs than wild caught I think).

The formula for CP is

On 8/9/2016 at 10:54 AM, Grayspeed said:

Anyone here part of the test area for the new tracking system? From what I've seen online it looks interesting, seems to make more sense than the footstep system while maintaining the treasure hunt vibe.

In other news, I may have found a Pikachu nest nearby. Report to come soon.

I'm not, but I'd be cool if it stayed just how it is. Now that it actually updates and drops pokemon that are out of range, I can triangulate where they are with a little work. I'm going to put another post up about my system that makes tracking much easier.

On 8/9/2016 at 8:26 PM, Raincloak said:

Walking and spinning pokestops, I fell down some unlit stairs the other night and twisted my ankle.  The car was a quarter mile away.

When I crawled over to my dropped phone, it informed me I'd just hit lvl 26.

That's nice.  I think I'm done chasing pokemon for a while.

Always be aware of your surroundings...

Seriously though, I have a headlamp I wear when out at night that I power up if the lighting gets crappy.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've made tracking easier for myself by putting some tape on my screen. What I've done is zoomed all the way out in the app, then using google maps, found a spot 200m away form my current position, which is the radius of the nearby section in game (pokemon appear at 70 meters). I then lined up that point up vertically in game with my map zoomed all the way out, then put a piece of scotch tape across my phone that shows where that is.

Now, when there's a pokemon I want on my radar, I can zoom all the way out, and spin the map and figure out all the likely locations for that pokemon. I can then plan out a walk that hits all of them. Even better, I can go to the first place I think it's likely, then see if it's still on my list, then check all the locations I had noted to see if they're still in range, eliminating all the ones that are not since they're now out of range. Once it's out of range if I'm walking, I check the range again and eliminate the locations that are still in range. I can cut down the possible locations really quickly this way.

I have about 6 spawn points in range at my house, all within a 180 arc as the other is all woods. I've gotten really good ay figuring out where the pokemon are. It takes a bit longer if all directions are possible, but still super useful for narrowing down where the mon is.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My daughter came home from summer camp and was talking about the game, so we downloaded it, however there are more poke stops by my work than there is in my entire town I ended up playing it more than she does and I don't care

Top 6

Snorlax 1392

Vaporeon 1212

Flareon 1207

Hypno 1116

Flareon 1180

Flareon 1132

Yes I used the Eevee hack, Pyro, Rainier, Sparky, I evolved those first whoops

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Has anyone noticed that Grimer crashes the game? A bit of research shows that it's possibly something to do with the animation cycle, a couple of "fixes" have been posted on Reddit but they don't work for me.

Luckily I don't see many Grimer...

1 minute ago, Grayspeed said:

Has anyone noticed that Grimer crashes the game? A bit of research shows that it's possibly something to do with the animation cycle, a couple of "fixes" have been posted on Reddit but they don't work for me.

Luckily I don't see many Grimer...

I have yet to see a single Grimer. Hopefully they fix it in next update though. (But don't hold your breath.)

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

My app crashes when you evolve, enter a gym, hatch an egg, capture a pokemon, view a pokemon profile, view trainer profile, hang around multiple lures, use a lucky egg, and sometimes for no reason at all.  so I'm sure Grimer would crash it too.  What doesn't?  But the sole Grimer I have is from an egg.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Add me to team Mystic!  I'm up to level 20.  The app has really enhanced my runs and got me out to new places covering more distance without worrying about muscle fatigue or lung capacity.  The app could turn me into a *shrudder* distance runner... gotta catch 'em all!  Though I've never done or played anything else Pokémon, so the intricatcies and types of Pokémon are all lost on me.  I just have fun discovering, catching, powering, evolving, and sharing my experiences with friends.  I feel it is kind of like sharing fantasy football accomplishments though.  The gyms have potential to be fun, but I need some Mystic teammates to join up with.  I'm usually out early in the morning when everyone else is sleeping.  In time, I guess. 

• Like 1

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

On 8/17/2016 at 10:59 AM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

I have about 6 spawn points in range at my house, all within a 180 arc as the other is all woods. I've gotten really good ay figuring out where the pokemon are. It takes a bit longer if all directions are possible, but still super useful for narrowing down where the mon is.

About the same.  Some are technically multiple points, but they are close enough that it seems like the same point.  Though there is still one mystery spawn I just cannot find.

All points around me each spawn at the exact time past each hour.  2 are water, the rest are land.  I merely have to look at a clock and I'll know exactly where each guy on the scanner are.  2 can be reached from the edge of my yard (but neither from the house without GPS drift).

One of these days I'm going to work on the mystery spawn point again, this time using Google Earth Pro to really nail the location.  Priority isn't that high though; its a water spawn that pretty much only has commons (saw a dratini once, thats it for good stuff).

In areas I frequent, I can almost always find it if its on the scanner.  If I don't know the spawn points, then its a bit more iffy, but I usually can find it.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Lately I've had to rethink my strategy a bit. To this point I've pretty much been on the stronger=better train.

Around me there are 2 gyms that I frequent just about every night.  I'm team Mystic, as are a decent % of people around me.  Some real strong teenagers are yellow  (that seem to be playing less and less, certainly have slowed down leveling to a crawl) and occasionally some random reds come around.  My crew is strong enough that I can't even remember the last time a gym was vaguely challenging to take.  I throw out almost every revive I get (not uncommon to take gyms without needing one).  Most of the time the gyms by me are blue, and I'm training instead of fighting.

Lately I'm realizing my crew is too strong to be of much use training.  It takes forever to train up a gym with an overpowered guy.  I've relentlessly focused on getting the strongest guys for my pokedex and have a huge gap in the middle; I have guys that I'm saving to be evolved and the best I've evolved.  As is my crew is of little use against a lvl 15 putting their best Pokemon in.

Generally I don't even bother to spend balls on evolved guys, but I'm going to start catching mid-CP decent fighters, see if I can't get a few good trainers across the CP spectrum.  I caught a CP 199 Pidgeot and a CP 600 Golduck recently (in the past I would pass on these guys; not worth the balls to catch). I found a CP 58 Eevee (@95% IV, but that is largely irrelevent), I'm thinking about evolving him, hoping for a Hydro Vape or Thunder Jolteon at something like 300-400 CP, which would make an awesome trainer against all the CP 800 ish Pokemon I typically see as the lowest in a gym.

Someone around me that is also Team Mystic has a CP 1200 Snorlax.  Far too often that stupid thing is the weakest 'mon in a gym; it is such a pain in the neck to train against it.  My A team is >CP 2000 and yields almost no prestige fighting it.  All my Pokemon in the 1000-1200 area are poor fighters, hence the reason I still have them in that range; they are of no use against a roughly even CP Snorlax.

TL;DR, don't transfer every mid CP elite fighters that you aren't going to power up, and don't be afraid to evolve a few of them, or you can run into training issues as you get stronger and stronger.

currently cutting

don't panic!

There's been another update as of last weekend.  Reportedly, rare mons are popping up more often.  It looks like that's true, but I'm pretty sure they've upped the ball-breaking rate as well, and with the escape rates boosted at the last update, it's becoming impossible to hold onto any pokemon (even 2-digit weedles) with regular balls.  I wasted 20 ultra balls and berries on an ordinary Pikachu ... and then deeply regretted it when a CP 1650 Magmar turned up at a lure, and I had nothing to catch it with.

I wonder if they're going to add ultra balls to the Shop.  The powergamers are bound to want to buy them, since they dispense at very low rates from pokestops and it's pretty hard to catch anything at high levels without them.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Escape rates definitely seem to have increased, seemingly more so for lower level pokemon. At level 20 I should really be able to catch a sub-100 CP Weedle with a single pokeball...

The tweaked spawn rates are great, though. Living in a pretty rural area I usually get the standard common 'mons with a few exceptions, but now I get much more interesting spawns.

I read a little bit back, that the "Nice, great and excellent" weren't working right in that they were flipped on catch rates. Nice was better than Excellent, purely anecdotal but it seems to be true, I catch a lot of stuff on the first or second "Nice" throw. If I don't get the "Nice" then they like to break out.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

21 hours ago, Waldo said:

About the same.  Some are technically multiple points, but they are close enough that it seems like the same point.  Though there is still one mystery spawn I just cannot find.

All points around me each spawn at the exact time past each hour.  2 are water, the rest are land.  I merely have to look at a clock and I'll know exactly where each guy on the scanner are.  2 can be reached from the edge of my yard (but neither from the house without GPS drift).

One of these days I'm going to work on the mystery spawn point again, this time using Google Earth Pro to really nail the location.  Priority isn't that high though; its a water spawn that pretty much only has commons (saw a dratini once, thats it for good stuff).

In areas I frequent, I can almost always find it if its on the scanner.  If I don't know the spawn points, then its a bit more iffy, but I usually can find it.

Yeah, the spawns generate mons at the same time each hour. I haven't taken the time to map it out at my place yet.

I hear you on the mystery point, I had one too that was really frustrating as before the last shuffle. It spawned fire mon at a really good rate. Turns out that is was the corner of an L bend on a street just on the edge of my radar, where neither branch was within range. I have to walk well out of range of my house and back to get it. Eventually figured it out and caught 3 charmanders and a charmellion before the shuffle. It's generating Mankeys now, almost to a Primeape.

500 / 330 / 625

When they made the shuffle, it completely remade my neighborhood.  Some points I knew of from the Pokevision era are no more.

I though that too about the L, but checking it, at least with the car, yielded nothing (there are unfortunately some massive hills between here and there, making a quick jog over to check it out by foot quite a workout).

Everyones yards here are big enough that it is possible to fit a spawn in that is totally inaccessible from public land.  Possible, but unlikely.  There is most likely a certain place you can stand without trespassing and have it spawn, or with marginal trespassing (walking on the edge of someones grass instead of the street for example).  But that level of detail requires really nailing the spawn point location.

But I think I can hit the mystery spawn from the far edge of my yard.  I got some more data last night, I should be able to hit it.  The problem is that its a fairly inaccessable area of the yard.

More work to be done.

Geez, all those Charmanders.  I think I've seen 4.  Fortunately one of them has 100% IV's, one of 3 guys I have that do (others are a butterfree and a vaporean).  Some day I'm going to have an awesome Charizard, but its going to be a while.

Evol party on tap tonight, I think I've got about 60 lined up, including three 125 candy ones (the first I've done yet).

currently cutting

don't panic!

Nice on the perfect IVs. This shuffle is gonna mess my chances up for a Charizard since the stadium nest will probably change, and I never got to the Machop nest a friend confirmed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625