Facebook I get a lot more than Instagram. I just put shit out there and hope people will like it but I'm not focused enough on it. I need a call to action.

I guess it might be easier once I'm doing the PT shtick. At least then there's a call to action, at the moment it's just "LIKE ME LIKE ME LIKE ME".

Content, content, content. As one of your followers on the old IG, and one that follows other powerlifters, you just need content. You essentially have to keep doing it all day. And hashtags for everything. I get random likes on things just for adding #doyouevenliftbro or #skwaats

But really, it's all about constant content and searchable #hashtags. 

Also, I'd say it doesn't hurt to promote products you use and love (while tagging them) so that the companies at least see you doing it. 

• Like 1

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Friday 26/6:

Went to a yoga party with some lifting friends and about 500 other yogis in the big museum in Edinburgh.

11312242_121265071541615_1675809328_n.jp

After the class, they gave us dinner, drinks and a free yoga mat to take away.

11333328_458972214276912_319526873_n.jpg

(Oh yeah, how cute is my new yoga/lifting outfit???)

Saturday 27/6:

Back still arsey.

Squats:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
(60kg x5)
(80kg x5)
105kg x4x3

Was making progressively more miserable faces.

Bench:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
(50kg x5)
60kg x4x5

I love bench. Bench is my friend. Happy friend.

Came home, took pain meds, passed out.

27/6:

Pain better today. No cocodamol necessary.

Went for a nice long walk with Grant this evening.

• Like 2

I've been struggling a lot with bloating and injuries and work stress and a whole range of other things lately. I know it's all pretty petty but it has been mounting up.

I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I wanted to stay curled up and hide.

I got up. I came to work and now I wish I had made the bad decision.

I've been struggling a lot with bloating and injuries and work stress and a whole range of other things lately. I know it's all pretty petty but it has been mounting up.

I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I wanted to stay curled up and hide.

I got up. I came to work and now I wish I had made the bad decision.

That makes two of us. I woke up this morning feeling like I was run over by a truck, just wanted to stay in bed.

As for your back pain, I'd suggest taking a break if you can. You're in pain, and you're stressed about work and other stuff. Give your body a chance to sort itself out if it can. I know you're building up to Nationals, but ruling yourself out of Nationals is surely a worse outcome than taking a little time off now?

Level 0 Warrior

Amateur Powerlifter, Cricket nerd, Geek.

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

That makes two of us. I woke up this morning feeling like I was run over by a truck, just wanted to stay in bed.

As for your back pain, I'd suggest taking a break if you can. You're in pain, and you're stressed about work and other stuff. Give your body a chance to sort itself out if it can. I know you're building up to Nationals, but ruling yourself out of Nationals is surely a worse outcome than taking a little time off now?

I'm going to see a physio and if I absolutely have to take a break then I will, but the only one of the big three lifts that is potentially causing any issue with it is deadlift, so I don't see why I should stop the other two.

Just read your Challenge entry. I wouldn't say giving up, just making a smart move to cut some of the uneccessary things out of your life. I'm not going to do another Challenge for a long while, because I never know what goals I should put in. I want to improve my lifts, I want to drop my weight, I want to be more consistant.......there are only so many ways to say the same thing. Then I feel like I have to keep visiting threads I have commented in, then feel guilty if I don't........just a brain drain!

You Daily Battle Log is awesome and is where most of your fan club hang out! :)

Don't think failure. Just think you are working smarter not harder.

Hope your injuries can be sorted.

• Like 2

Wait! What............?

I'd just stick with the Battle Log. 

For me personally, I found challenges were are fun when I was looking for ways to get you motivated for the next 6 weeks.  Personally, now I feel like lifting is just part of my life.  It's going to happen regardless of my motivation level.  Hell most of the time it's what actually gives me motivation. 

I'd assume you are in the same boat. 

I went into the gym tonight feeling a tad apprehensive. My shoulder/upper back has been niggling for a week now and I really wasn't convinced it'd hold up to much.

Tuesday 30/6:

Squats:

(20kg x10x2)

(40kg x10)

(60kg x5)

(80kg x5)

(100kg x3)

112.5kg x3x5

Thought these were going to be hard. Jaymul offered to spot the first set so I took him up on it and then was told that it was probably unnecessary when I fired through them easily.

Bench:

(20kgx10)

(40kg x10)

(50kg x5)

(60kg x5)

65kg x3x5

Seemples! Was used as an example of good form too. :)

Block pulls:

(40kg x5x2)

(60kg x5)

(80kg x5)

(100kg x3)

115kg x3x4, x2 (bar rolled off the blocks on the last rep of the last set and I could not face resetting it for a single)

Going to see the physio tomorrow but actually feeling really positive after that!

• Like 5

Awesome :)

Hope the physio helps.

About your social media, it really fucking sucks monkey balls. I hardly get any interactions on my author page on FB and Twitter is like shouting into a void. I have like three people who ever interact with me on there. Volume of posts is supposedly the key. I know our situations are different, but I try to remember that the key to remember with social media is to be social. Try not to think of it as a means to make sales (or gain sponsors), just be sociable, chat to people, interact with them and gradually (very gradually!) you'll see a return on that investment. My problem with that approach is that I've had to limit my time on FB because it was sucking my soul and causing me stress. I had about a month where I literally did not go on there once (any petitions I signed got shared remotely, and I did pop onto my author page to post sometimes, but didn't browse). I'm gradually easing back into it now, but have to be careful or I can lose hours on there.

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com

Wednesday 1/7:

Went to hot yoga instead of pole. Got free coconut water. Was fun.

Thursday 2/7:

Squats:

(20kg x10)

(40kg x10)

(60kg x5)

(80kg x5)

90kg x3x4

Bench:

(20kg x10)

(40kg x10)

(50kg x5)

(60kg x5)

65kg x3x5

Pendlay Row:

(40kg x5)

(50kg x5)

(55kg x5)

60kg x3x5 

Check out this amazing transformation!

10898992_930186920361539_545157351_n.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday 4/7:

Shit session. Missing my training buddies and wasn't feeling the best (woke up with a low-level migraine).

Squats:

(20kg x10x2)

(40kg x10)

(60kg x5)

(80kg x5)

(100kg x3)

112.5kg x3x5

Not sure depth was good and a few reps felt kinda grindy.

Bench:

(20kg x10x2)

(40kg x10)

(50kg x5)

(60kg x3)

65kg x3x5

Deadlifts:

(40kg x10)

(60kg x5)

(80kg x5)

(100kg x5)

(110kg x3)

115kg x3x3, x2

Was meant to be five sets of three but failed the third rep on the fourth set and was really feeling that everything was breaking down so ditched it.

Then spent another five hours running through things for tomorrow's practical assessment for my gym instructor course. Came home so tired that I could barely speak.

It was worth it.

I passed my practical with flying colours, compliments on my coaching style (and level of fitness knowledge) and a suggestion that I should do some further qualifications so that I can that it all further. I'm still kind of buzzing. :D

11428685_905643982812476_1923129480_n.jp

So that's me with my trainee/trainer (on the left, we paired up to train one another for the assessment) and my squat friend (the guy on the right).

Then I went down to Sweaty Betty and they sorted out my fitness professional discount straight away (because they're amazing and awesome) and then I went to Costco and bought much protein.

Now I just need to sort out my next qualification and/or do some CPD so I can actually earn some money from being qualified!

OOH! And I now know how to become a Sweaty Betty ambassador, but it's going to take me a couple of years to get there.

• Like 6

Good stuff! Bet it feels good to have that hard work paying off.

I'm still looking into options for where to get started on my own coaching journey, hoping to use this down time after finishing work on Friday to get that moving. Any suggestions you can give me on where to start?

It really depends on what route you want to take. I'm going the route of getting my REPS gym instructor and personal trainer accreditation and then adding on coaching qualifications. If you want to work in any commercial gym, REPS accreditation is usually required.

Glad to hear about the coaching and I look forward to hearing about your adventures there.

@silverbolt I did not know you were planning to get into coaching as well. Is all my nf advice coming out of Scotland?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Glad to hear about the coaching and I look forward to hearing about your adventures there.

@silverbolt I did not know you were planning to get into coaching as well. Is all my nf advice coming out of Scotland?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

My goal is sports-fitness training, things like getting on the staff at a cricket or rugby club. Not sure I'll get there, but definitely won't if I don't try.

I'm not in Scotland though, I'm an adopted Yorkshireman.

Level 0 Warrior

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

My goal is sports-fitness training, things like getting on the staff at a cricket or rugby club. Not sure I'll get there, but definitely won't if I don't try.

I'm not in Scotland though, I'm an adopted Yorkshireman.

You'll be looking for UKSCA accreditation, then, and/or a MSc in Strength and Conditioning.

• Like 1

You'll be looking for UKSCA accreditation, then, and/or a MSc in Strength and Conditioning.

That's what my own research has told me, so good to get confirmation. As soon as my redundancy payout comes through, I'll be booking myself onto the first stage Foundation workshop to get myself moving in the right direction.

Level 0 Warrior

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge