cn3wton, Battle log of Ages

3/17/15

Warm UP

Tabata (single unders/hollow hold/kb swing/close stance squat)

I was running late so didnt get to practice double unders...

Strength/Skill

Pull ups/ Pistols.

Worked on near max sets for the pull ups. Added about 2 reps to each round (did 5 rounds). I feel that as I tire I try to use my arms more and lose focus on keeping everything engaged and using my back. 

Pistols where just progressions, and easing into them. I was only able to dip down to a 20" box. Any lower and I got pretty shakey, especially my right leg (knee didn't like it one bit). I know I have nowhere near the strength to do a one legged squat now (thanks to monday).

WOD

10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1

Push Ups

2 pistol progressions (each leg) + remaining reps as goblet squat.

This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. No time requirement as we where focusing solely on form. The thought was "Get graded on each rep, not how quickly you get done". I didn't realize we where starting and was walking around like an idiot for the first minute. Then I was like "OH shit did we start?" and the trainer laughed and said "Yea!" I was doing the exercises but I thought everyone was just warming up! Anyways I managed to finish before the class ended (and before some other people too!). And I was happy mostly. I felt I got a really great workout in.

Got home, cleaned out my car and room. Started the laundry. Now I just have to push myself to do something art related on the computer... But what?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

allow me to recommend you play with that a bit. I'm a fan of working some onions, garlic, peppers and srirachi into mine. Salt and pepper work well, swiss and mushrooms can be awesome too.

I actually get premade burgers. But I could probably mix things in with them though. Just roll them back into a ball and mix in what I need. Thats probably a good idea. I think I will definitely try that out next week. 

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

If you don't have one, a food scale can help you here too to ensure you are making consistent burgers. I usually aim for 1/4 lb but that's just what works for me. I mix up two or three lbs of beef with whatever I want to flavor it, through a piece of waxed paper on the scale then grab a glob of meat and see what it weighs. I add or take away until I have 1/4 lb then I shape it roughly in a ball. I do this until I have one piece of meat left that won't quite make up a quarter pound or close enough for me to call a quarter pound. I then try to break that into the number of pieces that I have meatballs. I place on chunk on each ball, roll them together and mash them nice and flat. Then I grill.

I don't like my meat over cooked and I know I'm going reheat these so I deliberately make my grill extra hot so I can cook the outside without fully cooking the inside. Then when I microwave them for a minute or ninety seconds I don't get a grey, bland, dried out mess.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

If you don't have one, a food scale can help you here too to ensure you are making consistent burgers. I usually aim for 1/4 lb but that's just what works for me. I mix up two or three lbs of beef with whatever I want to flavor it, through a piece of waxed paper on the scale then grab a glob of meat and see what it weighs. I add or take away until I have 1/4 lb then I shape it roughly in a ball. I do this until I have one piece of meat left that won't quite make up a quarter pound or close enough for me to call a quarter pound. I then try to break that into the number of pieces that I have meatballs. I place on chunk on each ball, roll them together and mash them nice and flat. Then I grill.

I don't like my meat over cooked and I know I'm going reheat these so I deliberately make my grill extra hot so I can cook the outside without fully cooking the inside. Then when I microwave them for a minute or ninety seconds I don't get a grey, bland, dried out mess.

I think overcooking is a bit of my problem as well. They still have ok flavor, but they are def gray in the middle. Im just super nervous about undercooking it...

3/18/15

Warm up 

Jump rope+prowler push

5 pu 5 strict press 5 push press 5 lunges per leg

Strength/Skill

Push press

5x65

3x80

3x95

3x110

3x125

3x112

3x100

So thats a 3 rep only 5 pounds lighter than my 3 rep front squat... that is a problem... 

WOD

2 minutes max effort per exercise, 1 minute break between

Burpees = 24

Row = 33

KB swings = 42

Box step ups = 18

Total = 117

The step ups where high, and I struggled to get on top of it at the end. It really brought my total score down. Still a great workout though.

I'm curious, if you were allowed to jump rather than step, do you think you would have fared better?

We are allowed to jump if we desire. But I don't honestly know. I was pretty shakey and didn't want to risk my shins. Honestly I think at the point I was so tired that it wouldn't have helped, and while I know I can do that jump fresh I don't know about 2 minutes of burpees/rowing/and swings.

that makes sense. I've got shin scars from a miss a year ago, my wife still teases me. :)

Yea thats a big thing in our gym. They stress that there are no medals and if your not 100 percent certain you can nail it its not worth your shins.

3/19/15

Warm UP

Jump rope

3x 5 kb swings 5 golb squat 5 sdhp

Strength/SKill

Deadlift

5x115

3x145

3x165

3x205

3x230

3x200

3x180

These felt pretty, well actually really good today. I had written the note down in my journal about focusing on form, so I asked the trainer to check on me every so often. On the last heaviest set he came over and watched. After I was done he said it was really good, and only a minor tweak. Its like when I start my shoulders shift just a bit ahead. Something to focus on, and watch, but it all looked pretty good. I have a tendency to hunch so I think perhaps this is due to that? Who knows.

WOD

8 min amrap

Each round add 5 wall balls and 20 single unders

Start with 20 Single Unders and 5 wall balls

Total =296 reps

I was throwing double under attempts in with the single unders, so my time wasn't exactly spot on. But it went pretty good. Also jumped up to the next heaviest wall ball.

POST WORKOUT ACESSORY WORK! 

SO I finally stayed and did some accessory work. Not much but some. I did

3x Prowler push and 3 perfect push ups.

The perfect push ups where all the way down until my chest and hips touched, then back. If I felt that I was breaking form in any way I had to stop. I was feeling pretty sore so 3 was the most I could do with 100% confidence. 

Other news 

I have been working on art pretty much every day. I feel I am making good progress. I have broken things down to basics again. The one thing I worry about though is I am starting to focus on figures alot more again, and I don't want to pigeon hole my studies... Maybe a quick environment sketch is needed today.

The meal prep is going fantastic. I have had nearly no cravings at all, and I have actually been full to the point that sometimes I think "There is no way I am going to eat all this!" Which is good. Next week marks the start of the 6wc in my gym, so I really want to check and recored the macros for my meals to ensure that everything is spot on.

I actually get premade burgers. But I could probably mix things in with them though. Just roll them back into a ball and mix in what I need. Thats probably a good idea. I think I will definitely try that out next week. 

I'm afraid if I bought premade burgers I would feel the same way.  I like TML idea.  You could try lean ground turkey too to make your own burgers.  I like to dice up some veggies and add them to the turkey burgers too.  And any flavor profile you want.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

3/20/15

Warm Up

jump rope

2x 5 air squat 5 push ups 5 presses

Strength/skill

barbell complex [dl+hpc+pc+2push press]

WOD

8 min AMRAP

10 push press

10 cleans

total = 43

Pretty simple, another open WOD. I did the prescribed weight of 95 for the push press, but didn't bother swapping out the weight forthe cleans. Don't feel comfortable going that heavy for the first time in a WOD. Also im not signed up for the open so I really focused on form. Felt good. No bad reps.

Interesting past few days.

Saturday morning I went to a meeting at the gym for the 6 week challenge. Was awesome to meet some people participating and they had a few different people speak. I am excited! 

That night I went bowling with friends, they ordered wings and this was the first time since starting meal prep that I REALLY craved something. They offerred to share but I stayed strong. Also avoided the beer, which isn't really that hard for me even when other people are buying. Which was even better becuase I got pulled over on the way home at 1am. No ticket or anything, I just didn't realize that the town had their saint patricks day parade that day so everybody was celebrating.

Today I went to a meeting to prep everybody for the start of work. Was nice seeing everybody. The waitresses and some other female workers said things along the lines of "Wow Corey you've lost more weight!" and "Your getting buff." and stuff like that. It was a tad bit embaressing but it was nice that they noticed too. They then started poking my pecs and abs, and that was awkward... I have mixed feelings about going back, even if it is only for 3 days a week. It's a greatgroup of people and most of the time the job is fine. I just was hoping to be in a realcareer by now...

3rd week of meal prep went great. I cutout the burgers this week because I didn't feel like doing my own and added chicken breast. Used up the last of the frozenthighs and drumsticks. I got this one done in record time, within 2 hours. I actually had to just wait for the chicken to finish baking.

11083882_10152783111050893_7845497542805

I portioned everything out and wrote down a cheat sheet for what each meal is worth calorie wise. So I can easily figure out how many calories I am consuming per meal. I think I may actually be short. These are in no way spot on accurate for each one. But ball park I have 40 calories max for each serving of veggie per meal, and about 200 cal in protein. 150 for rice/potato. 

I am going to talk to my trainer about the sweet potato and brown rice. They sent out a powerpoint for the challenge and they suggest that people who want to lose weight avoid these things. I can honestly say cutting them out wont kill me but I still like the variety. Also want to talk to them about protein powder.

hey dude, sorry last week was bullshit so i didn't get round much

Q's on the food prep

is that for six days?

how do you stop your fruit from going brown and nasty?

do you heat you tubs up or just eat them cold?

do you have any tips or advice about meal prepping so much at once, because honestly I think it's something I could benefit from

• Like 1

hey dude, sorry last week was bullshit so i didn't get round much

Q's on the food prep

is that for six days?

how do you stop your fruit from going brown and nasty?

do you heat you tubs up or just eat them cold?

do you have any tips or advice about meal prepping so much at once, because honestly I think it's something I could benefit from

No problem bro

Yes I do it for 6 days, I do not eat breakfast I only have a banana and protein shake. Sundays I gran a premade rotisserie chicken and try out a new healthy recipe for dinner.

I heat the food in the tubs, the plastic is bpa free.

This is my first week cutting up the apple for the week. The watermelon and strawberries have lasted well. Last week I cut up apples for 3 days and they where fine. Just rub lemon juice on them to prevent browning.

As far as cooking it all at once I keep it simple. For instance this is how it goes.

First thing I do is heat oven to 500 degrees and cut up and prep the sweet potatoes. Usually by the time I'm done with that the oven is preheated (I also lay out the containers and organize the food and ingredients on the counter).

While the potatoes bake I cook whatever I cook on the stove. Usually peppers and onions and either burgers or chicken breast. I do the veggies first then the chicken. Then if I have time I start cutting up the fruits and portioning them out.

Them when the sweet potatoes are done I pull them out and turn the oven down to 450. I grab my frozen chicken (wings,thighs,legs) and prepare them. a simple recipe. I spray the pan and them with olive oil. Sprinkle salt, lemon pepper, paprika, cayenne, and a bit of Italian seasoning on both sides. Then I pour in just a bit of lite Italian dressing in the open spaces. This keeps it from drying out, just use cookware with large sides. I cook all chicken for 1 hour in the oven at 450.

That gives me an hour to finish everything up. I usually start with the stuff I actually have to cut first while the sweet potato cooks (peppers, chicken, fruit). And I save the easy stiff for laar, and that's the rice and veggies.

I buy steam fresh frozen vegetables and brown rice. I heat them up in the microwave then portion them out. I actually read somewhere that frozen veggies are actually better as they are frozeN at their peak so are fresher than grocery store stuff. I don't know if this is true but they are cheap, and easy. I was worried they wouldn't freeze or reheat well but it tastes fine to me.

Then once the chicken is done I let it cool and build them. If I finish the earlier proteins long before I bake the chicken I'll throw them in the fridge so they don't sit out. I keep the weeks fruit on the fridge along with 3 days of meals. The last 3 days go in the freezer. I pull meals out of the freezer the morning before they are needed so they properly defrost.

So that was everything I do. My big suggestion is pick 2-3 proteins you know how to prepare and live and make that your primary protein.(I chose baked chicken and lean burgers my first week). Then pick 2-3 veggies and fruits. Keep it simple at first. I prefer cooking for the whole week, but some people do half Sunday half wednesday. this is generally better for people with a family and where they are preparing food for more than one person.

I also suggest you check out fitmencook.Com it is awesome. He has a ton of awesome recipes for meal prep. If you got any more questions let me know!

• Like 1

3/23/15

Day 1 of the challenge in my gym. Today I arrived early and got a inbody test done. Pretty interesting, Info below.

Total Weight 201.3

Body Water Weight 101.2

Dry Lean Mass 37.3

Body Fat 62.8

BMI 28.9

%BF 31.2

So I was surprised with the BF. But everybody was. This machine tests everywhere, so it is far more accurate than calipers could ever hope to be. The plus side is that my dry lean mass is higher than I expected. The machine also does segmental lean analysis, and everything was pretty close to ideal, but as expected my legs are behind the ball on that one. Also it suggests that my lean body mass shouldn't change, only my weight so thats good! 

My calculated BMR is 1726, using the calculations provided that means I should aim for 2675.3 calories to maintain. I did a quickmock up of my prepared meals and with protein powder they only get me to 1100-1300 calories.. Got some work to do there!

Anyways after we got that tested we did 3 benchmark tests after a short warm up.

Warm Up

2x 30 SU 10 air squats 5 burpees

Benchmark #1 Bodyweight + Prowler weight 200ft push

So I pushed 275 lbs 200 ft in 1:05. I really didnt even think I could do it so I was pleased. You had to turn 3 times and they really slowed me down and made me lose my momentum.

Benchmark #2 Max Effort Pull Ups

I dropped down to just 1 band and managed 5. They had to be absolutely perfect. We took turns counting for other people to keep each other accountable.

Benchmark #3 7 min AMRAP Wall balls

I did 101 wall balls in 7 mins. That sucked but I really pushed myself and felt I did really well.

In six weeks at the end of the challenge we will retest.

In other news I am really going to have to focus on eating more. But its going to be tough. I just had my lunch of chicken breast,rice, and broccolli and could barely finish it! adding 500 calories is gonna be tough... At the suggestion of the trainer I will also be cutting rice and sweet potato out next week and subbing in more veggies.

• Like 1

This gym challenge sounds very interesting.  Hopefully it will really push you and you'll see some measurable gains at the end.  Very motivating and great that they have accurate measurements too.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Interesting challenge. Are there weight & benchmark prizes or are they combined somehow.

I like the dry lean mass measure. That'd take a lot of fluctuation out.

Everything gets you a certain amount of points, they are all added together. The biggest focus is changes in the reading from the machine is its impossible to "cheat" on it. 

Saw this today. Pretty awesome.

"A country is as strong really as its citizens... I hope that we will not find a day in the United States when all of us are spectators except for a few who are out on the field. I hope all Americans will be out on the feild." JFK

• Like 1

3/24/15

Warm Up

Jump Rope

2x 5 Air Squats 5 Goblet Squats 5 Front Squats 

Strength/Skill

Front Squat

5x65

3x85

3x100

3x120

3x130

3x115

3x105

So I managed 130 today. It was a good rep on the final one, but I didn't go quite as far down as I usually do. I had the trainer watch me on a few reps. He said that my upper body was going forward a bit. I started a thread in powerlifting and weightlifting to get some ideas on how to improve this yesterday, and the trainer echoed many of the suggestions. I may switch to lower weight slower reps next time, or throw some in the mix. I also am going to add acessory work to strengthen my upper back. I did pendlay rows today.

WOD

8min AMRAP

3 Front Squat

3/6/9/... Burpees

55 reps

It called for a similar rep scheme of thrusters, but I really wanted to work on my front squat. So I did slow reps with the best form I could do. I could feel the difference when I had nearly spot on form. Good to know what I have to work on.

No problem bro

Yes I do it for 6 days, I do not eat breakfast I only have a banana and protein shake. Sundays I gran a premade rotisserie chicken and try out a new healthy recipe for dinner.

I heat the food in the tubs, the plastic is bpa free.

This is my first week cutting up the apple for the week. The watermelon and strawberries have lasted well. Last week I cut up apples for 3 days and they where fine. Just rub lemon juice on them to prevent browning.

As far as cooking it all at once I keep it simple. For instance this is how it goes.

First thing I do is heat oven to 500 degrees and cut up and prep the sweet potatoes. Usually by the time I'm done with that the oven is preheated (I also lay out the containers and organize the food and ingredients on the counter).

While the potatoes bake I cook whatever I cook on the stove. Usually peppers and onions and either burgers or chicken breast. I do the veggies first then the chicken. Then if I have time I start cutting up the fruits and portioning them out.

Them when the sweet potatoes are done I pull them out and turn the oven down to 450. I grab my frozen chicken (wings,thighs,legs) and prepare them. a simple recipe. I spray the pan and them with olive oil. Sprinkle salt, lemon pepper, paprika, cayenne, and a bit of Italian seasoning on both sides. Then I pour in just a bit of lite Italian dressing in the open spaces. This keeps it from drying out, just use cookware with large sides. I cook all chicken for 1 hour in the oven at 450.

That gives me an hour to finish everything up. I usually start with the stuff I actually have to cut first while the sweet potato cooks (peppers, chicken, fruit). And I save the easy stiff for laar, and that's the rice and veggies.

I buy steam fresh frozen vegetables and brown rice. I heat them up in the microwave then portion them out. I actually read somewhere that frozen veggies are actually better as they are frozeN at their peak so are fresher than grocery store stuff. I don't know if this is true but they are cheap, and easy. I was worried they wouldn't freeze or reheat well but it tastes fine to me.

Then once the chicken is done I let it cool and build them. If I finish the earlier proteins long before I bake the chicken I'll throw them in the fridge so they don't sit out. I keep the weeks fruit on the fridge along with 3 days of meals. The last 3 days go in the freezer. I pull meals out of the freezer the morning before they are needed so they properly defrost.

So that was everything I do. My big suggestion is pick 2-3 proteins you know how to prepare and live and make that your primary protein.(I chose baked chicken and lean burgers my first week). Then pick 2-3 veggies and fruits. Keep it simple at first. I prefer cooking for the whole week, but some people do half Sunday half wednesday. this is generally better for people with a family and where they are preparing food for more than one person.

I also suggest you check out fitmencook.Com it is awesome. He has a ton of awesome recipes for meal prep. If you got any more questions let me know!

this was probably the best and most definitive post about food I have seen on nerd fitness, and that includes the blog posts, thank you so much!

this was probably the best and most definitive post about food I have seen on nerd fitness, and that includes the blog posts, thank you so much!

oh also let me know when the new campaign is starting

also, holy shit that is hands down the best website ever!

Someone needs to give this guy a nobel prize, it's sooo good

As far as food goes I hope this helps. I had extra incentive to jump in because my gym is running a challenge, but everyone suggests taking it slow at first. Trying prepping 1 meal a day the first week, or maybe even just the fruit. I am aiming to hit 1700-1900 calories and let me tell you what, that's a lot of food to eat... My original plan summed up to only 1200 at most. I had to beef up this weeks to get past 1500. It's not neccessarily harder to prepare though.

I know that meal prepping has helped me a ton. I still have cravings (heck last nights dream was all about foods that I guess I am subconcsiously craving) but it makes it so easy to stay on track, and ensure your getting the stuff you need.

The next pathfinder journey starts friday night, heres the OOC thread http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/53681-pathfinder-journeys-ooc/ 

You should recognize a couple of us, it should be fun! If your on a bit of a time crunch don't worry about having the character sheet completed for the first pose. Wont really need it until next week.