What keeps you motivated?

Besides being motivated by everyone on here, what or who else keeps you motivated and gives you back that drive to succeed?

For me I like watch a fitness video on you tube before I head to the gym or start my day. I really like Jennifer Nicole Lee's JNL fusion workout videos, you would never know that she used to be over 200 pounds, she looks freak'n awesome!!

You live longer once you realize that any time spent being unhappy is wasted. -Ruth E. Renkl

On really bad days, before and after pics really help me stay motivated.

Also my friend who lost her 7 year old son but is still way more ripped than me.

Other than that, I think I am pretty good at motivating myself. I make an awesome cheerleader :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Guest Snake McClain

that's actually a really tough question for me. I know that (and this is a bit weird but...) anytime i spend more than a few days outside of lifting weights i LITERALLY get depressed. Like i think the whole world is out to get me and i'd rather die than keep trying. but as soon as i get in the gym for ten minutes that all changes. I don't know what the deal is there but I something about the release of lifting makes me think "hey this isn't so bad." Wrestling (which i love) is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and it is so overwhelming and everytime i want to quit i go to the gym and try to get my head on. It's weird i guess because lifting for me motivates me to lift again. Honestly if it wasn't for nerd fitness I'd probably be dead.

motivation is a great thing but i've tried to get away from relying on it too heavily. others might be different but i've always found that if i let myself be too motivated by outside factors or even just my own excitement, i'm so apt to take a break when motivation slips...and then it's hard to get back on the horse. i've had more success the last couple months by changing my thinking...thinking of working out like brushing my teeth or something else that isn't particulaly "fun" but is necessary and something i wouldn't think of skipping. it may sound a little depressing but it's helped me stick with my program more consistently...also it makes those days that i'm really excited to workout even more fun...like how taking a bubble bath feels when you've been taking showers all week.

that's actually a really tough question for me. I know that (and this is a bit weird but...) anytime i spend more than a few days outside of lifting weights i LITERALLY get depressed. Like i think the whole world is out to get me and i'd rather die than keep trying. but as soon as i get in the gym for ten minutes that all changes. I don't know what the deal is there but I something about the release of lifting makes me think "hey this isn't so bad." Wrestling (which i love) is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and it is so overwhelming and everytime i want to quit i go to the gym and try to get my head on. It's weird i guess because lifting for me motivates me to lift again. Honestly if it wasn't for nerd fitness I'd probably be dead.

It's the same for me...so, okay, I don't wrestle! But whenever I am feeling down, lifting weights brings me right back up to a good mood. It's magical!

Seeing my children every day and wanting to be there for them and be able to do stuff with them provides me with most of my motivation. Of course "looking good naked" can never be counted out as a motivating factor.

:victorious:

But, to keep going regularly to do the exercise, it is all about routine. I go to the gym at the same time every workout morning. Even those days when getting out of bed at 4:45am just doesn't feel like an option, I drag myself out because of the routine. Once I get to the gym I am always glad since those are the days when I fell best after working out.

I also like to mix it up some - took up swimming on one of my gym days last year and am now doing the starting strength programme. The variety keeps me motivated.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Knowing there is someone in my corner who is rooting for me and is really proud of me when I freakin rock the workout (yeah I rocked those dips!). Even if it's my trainer and I pay him, I love him. He's a lot of fun and has helped put together workouts I just love doing.

Plus, I have a kind of schedule and to be honest really look forward to hitting a workout after work (desk job - ack!) and then a nice walk home. I like it a lot and look forward to the time.

Also, one of my life goals has been to reach 50 years old w nothing more than the need for a rescue asthma inhaler. I know my diet and exercise will get me there. Most of my friends and co-workers have been on meds since their 30's. Double ack.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Music can help motivate me. I like Jimmy Eat World, good lyrics, Techno stuff, punk, whatever gets me pumped.

Working out also makes me feel really good, so the days I don't really feel like going, I just say to myself "get in there and get started and you'll love it." Wish I could pull this trick in some other areas of my life.

The progress I see also helps me keep going, both the records of how I am moving up on weights and exercises and also what I see in the mirror. I also know that being stronger reduces my chances of injury, which is important to me after 2 knee surgeries.

Fear of death? Fear of illness? Fear of sagging skin? Fear of nasty incapacitated old age?

Sounds pretty negative, I know, but it's pretty darn effective! :topsy_turvy:

That's definitely my negative motivation. I'm 40 years older than my son and I want to be around to watch him grow up.

My positive motivation is seeing results. Seeing the scale go down week after week (while still making some strength gains). I'm in better shape than ever and I feel like I'm just getting started.

Before and After pics

Each time I hit a new notch on a belt

Needing to buy new clothes, but refusing to since I know I'm not done losing yet

Fitted shirts and other clothes I've never been able to wear

Looking in the mirror and realizing I've not been this thin and in shape since my sophomore year of college (14+ years!!!)

Constant compliments and comments from other people (especially those who have not seen me in awhile)

But the most important, the desire to get more attention from the ladies :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

This is something I've thought about a LOT over the last year. I experienced anxiety and depression for the first time in my life, and all the things that you're told to do to emotionally feel better just aren't even fathomable when you're in that state.

My sig pretty much says WHY I'm on the road to be healthier, but it's not quite the same as motivating myself. It's my daily goal for sure, but I still have days where that seems out of reach. Finding this community and knowing there are people in my corner, even though I don't know a lot of you yet, is pretty awesome.

Now that I've started baby-lifting, I can tell that the FEELING of lifting alone will be motivating. I already look forward to it, and I'm still just working on form. On good days (which is most), feeling like I'm making progress and feeling GOOD are enough. I've always been the skinny weakling and on blah days there is definitely a part of me that is pushed more by wanting to eventually show up my buddy that can bench a city bus.

Guest Snake McClain
My husband has a chronic illness that is getting worse, that the doctors we've seen so far (lots) don't have much help for. I want to be as strong, as healthy and as upbeat as I can, so I can be the most supportive spouse I can be.

damn good reason friend.

Fear of death? Fear of illness? Fear of sagging skin? Fear of nasty incapacitated old age?

Sounds pretty negative, I know, but it's pretty darn effective! :topsy_turvy:

Indeed it is!

Also, seeing results is motivating me this time. In December I started exercising and now i'm also paying more attention to my diet. I think that seeing the first results motivated me because I was doing practically nothing and I was seeing good changes in my body, so I thought 'what would happen if i tried more?'

The more I do something the more I actually want to do it. It becomes its own motivation. Like running I always look forward to that running high I get after a nice run. That and I'm going on holiday in may and want to look smoking hot in my bikini!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

that's actually a really tough question for me. I know that (and this is a bit weird but...) anytime i spend more than a few days outside of lifting weights i LITERALLY get depressed. Like i think the whole world is out to get me and i'd rather die than keep trying. but as soon as i get in the gym for ten minutes that all changes. I don't know what the deal is there but I something about the release of lifting makes me think "hey this isn't so bad."

My husband is exactly like this. I actually encouraged him to help me learn to lift as a sneaky way to help him with his depression/anxiety issues. Now he's addicted!

Today was a bad day for me. I had been at the hospital with my mom all night, got home at 5:30am, and woke up hubby to work out. Even though I didn't really have my whole heart into it, and I was already exhausted, pushing myself through a hard workout was exactly what I needed to clear my head and reset for the day.

Situations like this keep me going. Knowing that I'm doing something good for myself every day is invaluable.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

^This. I personally think it's more about discipline than motivation. And inspiration... I get it from looking at guys that have the body I want to have, watching interesting fitness videos, and reading the NF blog.

This.

Once it becomes habit, it only becomes a matter of discipline to maintain the habit. Motivation (aside from the day to day motivation of trying to set PR's) is largely irrelevant.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!