Forums are back in action! ×

Fitbit Challenge anyone...?

My Fitbit buzzes and reminds me to move every hour. My job is entirely at a desk, so the hourly reminder is awesome and helps me stay alert and happy. :)

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

35 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

So, anybody else get a tiny bit of acrophobia from some of the photos? It's much flatter where I live lol

I love mountains, so no, not really. We have some really nice ones around where I live. :)

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

35 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

So, anybody else get a tiny bit of acrophobia from some of the photos? It's much flatter where I live lol

Nope, me neither, but I’m from the highlands of Scotland, and enjoy(ed) hill walking!  

I think I’d find it odd to be in a place that’s very flat though, where you can see for miles and miles.  Or where there’s no water, I’ve never lived more than 1/2 a mile from the sea in all my life.  On the island group where I live now, you can never be more that 3 miles from the sea, which suits me fine. :)  The only issue is the wind.  Anything outside that’s not tied down will be in Norway before you know it, lol! 

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

1 minute ago, Guzzi said:

Nope, me neither, but I’m from the highlands of Scotland, and enjoy(ed) hill walking!  

I think I’d find it odd to be in a place that’s very flat though, where you can see for miles and miles.  Or where there’s no water, I’ve never lived more than 1/2 a mile from the sea in all my life.  On the island group where I live now, you can never be more that 3 miles from the sea, which suits me fine. :)  The only issue is the wind.  Anything outside that’s not tied down will be in Norway before you know it, lol! 

@Guzzi  Where do you live in Scotland?  My family is originally from Colonsay.  Descended from selkies, so the legend goes.

16 minutes ago, BlackCatMagic said:

@Guzzi  Where do you live in Scotland?  My family is originally from Colonsay.  Descended from selkies, so the legend goes.

Ah!  Just down the road (and across on the ferry!) from my hometown!  I grew up in Fort William, but my family actually come from a mixture of other places originally.  My dad’s parents are both from Harris, in the Outer Hebrides, my mother’s parents are from Inverness and Glencoe.  So I’m a bit of a mongral really. :D  My mother in law is from Mull which is the next island over from Colonsay.  

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

2 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Ah!  Just down the road (and across on the ferry!) from my hometown!  I grew up in Fort William, but my family actually come from a mixture of other places originally.  My dad’s parents are both from Harris, in the Outer Hebrides, my mother’s parents are from Inverness and Glencoe.  So I’m a bit of a mongral really. :D  My mother in law is from Mull which is the next island over from Colonsay.  

OMG!  I've been to Fort William!  Home to Ben Nevis, is that correct?  I wanted to visit the Outer Hebrides when I was in Scotland, but the weather was pretty bad.  My last name is McAfee, which comes from MacFie, which means "son of a dark one".  Supposedly, if you are dark one, you have selkie blood.

8 minutes ago, BlackCatMagic said:

OMG!  I've been to Fort William!  Home to Ben Nevis, is that correct?  I wanted to visit the Outer Hebrides when I was in Scotland, but the weather was pretty bad.  My last name is McAfee, which comes from MacFie, which means "son of a dark one".  Supposedly, if you are dark one, you have selkie blood.

Haha!  That’s awesome!!!  

The town own itself isn’t much, to much 1960’s concrete abominations, but the surrounding areas are beautiful!  I grew up in Corpach, one of the villages on the outskirts of FW, where the Caledonian Canal starts/finishes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Haha!  That’s awesome!!!  

The town own itself isn’t much, to much 1960’s concrete abominations, but the surrounding areas are beautiful!  I grew up in Corpach, one of the villages on the outskirts of FW, where the Caledonian Canal starts/finishes. 

So many Scottish immigrants settled in the Appalachian Mountains here in the US.  That's where I grew up.  When I visited Scotland, I could see why they chose that area - it has the same wild beauty.

5 minutes ago, BlackCatMagic said:

So many Scottish immigrants settled in the Appalachian Mountains here in the US.  That's where I grew up.  When I visited Scotland, I could see why they chose that area - it has the same wild beauty.

**runs off to google Appalachian Mountains**  :onthego:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Some pics...

5cbad414ee3d7563219deb030cdc7e8c.jpg
The end of the canal

5072c6ec4905402e7a25121a8dc0e41d.jpg
A view from the shore

174197abc698ec3037f1d68bb86adee5.jpg
Glen Nevis

8b953109ba342ee03b742064f0d5b78f.jpg
The ruins of old Inverlochy castle

Sigh!  Scotland is gorgeous!  I want to visit again.

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

Hmmm, I think some of my viking ancestors sailed in that direction and looted and pillaged, several centuries ago... :P

Beautiful pictures.

These are the mountains outside my little city:

image.thumb.png.8c908aac0959981174980c67110d405d.png

• Like 3

Beautiful pictures,Guzzi.  We live on a hill, so most of my walking is hill walking, Not as steep as in Yosemite though! 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

20 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Hmmm, I think some of my viking ancestors sailed in that direction and looted and pillaged, several centuries ago... :P

Beautiful pictures.

Ooo, that's gorgeous!

Just now, scalyfreak said:

They did indeed!  

Just now, scalyfreak said:

Beautiful pictures.

Ooooooh...... pretty!  Our hills are very old and are mostly very weathered/eroded, those mountains look spectacular!

Beautiful pictures! I've only ever visited the mountains a few times.

Here's a view of our flat terrain:

rendition.57074_original.1280.500.imagec

(Ok, so I don't actually live ON the beach. But the rural-rapidly-becoming-the-suburbs area where I actually reside isn't nearly that photogenic, and this is a half hour car ride away :P)

• Like 4

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

4 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

(Ok, so I don't actually live ON the beach. But the rural-rapidly-becoming-the-suburbs area where I actually reside isn't nearly that photogenic, and this is a half hour car ride away :P)

Look at that white sand - sigh!  All these pics are making me realize that I need a vacation!

• Like 1

I live in the Appalachian mountains @BlackCatMagic, well the Southern part. I'm in Northeast Tennessee. Where did you grow up, if I may ask?

• Like 1

Level 10 Rebel

Character  Instagram  Current fitness routine 4 week challenge log FitBit User profile

“If it doesn’t challenge you it doesn’t change you.” Fred Devito

“Challenge yourself everyday to do better and be better. Remember, growth starts with a decision to move beyond your present circumstances.” Robert Tew

I've been walking a lot at work. I work on a college campus and It is MUCH easier to walk everywhere than to move my car. I do have a reserved parking space (since I am required to live on campus) but there is no guarantee that there will be a parking space where I am going. It's going to die down towards the end of the week though. @JustCallMeAmber will be back in the lead probably soon enough. I like it while I have it though.

• Like 1

Level 10 Rebel

Character  Instagram  Current fitness routine 4 week challenge log FitBit User profile

“If it doesn’t challenge you it doesn’t change you.” Fred Devito

“Challenge yourself everyday to do better and be better. Remember, growth starts with a decision to move beyond your present circumstances.” Robert Tew

1 hour ago, Balthazar77 said:

I live in the Appalachian mountains @BlackCatMagic, well the Southern part. I'm in Northeast Tennessee. Where did you grow up, if I may ask?

@Balthazar77 I grew up in Oak Ridge.  Graduate of UTK.  Where are you from?

Jill

14 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Oh my, that’s pretty!  It looks warm too.  We have lots of nice beaches in Shetland but the average summer temperature is about 16°C (60°F). 

7 hours ago, Balthazar77 said:

I've been walking a lot at work. I work on a college campus and It is MUCH easier to walk everywhere than to move my car. I do have a reserved parking space (since I am required to live on campus) but there is no guarantee that there will be a parking space where I am going. It's going to die down towards the end of the week though. @JustCallMeAmber will be back in the lead probably soon enough. I like it while I have it though.

Ah-ha!  This is what I’ve been waiting for!  You think I’m lagging behind, but I’ve just been lulling you into a false sense of security, now I just need to make my move!  :D:D:D 

I’ve been really sore this week for some reason, and it hasn’t helped that  it’s been miserable weather.  Hopefully I’ll be able to get moving a little more now that the sun is out. 

17 hours ago, Balthazar77 said:

I've been walking a lot at work. I work on a college campus and It is MUCH easier to walk everywhere than to move my car. I do have a reserved parking space (since I am required to live on campus) but there is no guarantee that there will be a parking space where I am going. It's going to die down towards the end of the week though

Ah, me too! I walked a bunch extra on Sunday and as often as possible at work for the past couple of days trying to counter that. (We'll see if it works lol)

9 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Oh my, that’s pretty!  It looks warm too.  We have lots of nice beaches in Shetland but the average summer temperature is about 16°C (60°F). 

I had to laugh just a little at that. Our lowest temp last night was 61°F. So yes, it will be much warmer come summer. :) (In fact, the water itself will be far warmer than that, let alone the air temp. Think 30-33°C depending on how close to the shore they monitor during August.)

10 hours ago, Guzzi said:

I’ve been really sore this week for some reason, and it hasn’t helped that  it’s been miserable weather.  Hopefully I’ll be able to get moving a little more now that the sun is out. 

Oh, oof. Hope you feel better!

• Like 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

Yes! You should come join us in our adventures!

• Like 1