Forums are back in action! ×

KB Girl's journal

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ahh I can’t remember, it was yonks ago since I read the books, and I didn’t even finish the series after he died. Too long a break and I never did commit to rereading them since. Who’s yours?

Thanks for the cookie tip! They look tasty and simple enough for some travel baking. ?

Alternatively you could listen to them as an audiobook? ? 

I think Nyneave and Lan are my favourites. And maybe Egwene. 
let me know how the cookies turn out, they keep very well in an empty jar ?

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ahhh! Tiny adorable rings girl! She's going to be doing muscle ups in no time! And yay for good food and simple strength training. Perfect.

I have almost exactly the same photo of her big sister from 3-4 years ago :) no muscle ups there yet though. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Since we have a strange evening lockdown going on (everything except grocery stores must close at 17:00) our schedules have changed quite a bit and today I got to experience what ‘normal’ people do and worked from 9 to 5 ? 

Then we went to pick up the kids from my moms, but she had dinner ready so that was very luxurious. 

After getting the kids to bed we ignored the messy house and just sat and chatted about Christmas plans and goals for next year. We both agree that we would really like to get to a point where we comfortably, routinely, can keep the house pleasant and clean. That probably requires some decluttering and rearranging but also rethinking/ building routines.
One of the biggest annoyances for me atm is our difficulty keeping the toilets clean enough for grabby little fingers. When I’m in the shower I usually clean the sink(?) and mirrors and sometimes the walls.. but I don’t shower regularly enough to maintain the toilet that way, but Jaap does. 

We haven’t thought up a solution for the downstairs toilet yet, but this morning I woke up to a clean bathroom toilet :) 

There was more goal stuff talked about, but this wall of text is big enough now and I should get to bed. 

• Like 2

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

Didn’t think I’d be able to get a training session in today, but there was a strength class with only 2 people signed up and since they know what they’re doing anyway I figured I’d just train with them. It was nice and heavy. 

I noticed I’m more motivated to take care of future me by cleaning the kitchen before bed or even picking up a stray thing instead of stepping over it. 

Jaap and I talked more this evening, we brainstormed some things like moving the coat rack, improving storage options in the hallway etc. It was nice but I will pay the price for it tomorrow because it is now 1am. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 9:35 PM, KB Girl said:

I have almost exactly the same photo of her big sister from 3-4 years ago :) no muscle ups there yet though. 

Is she gravitating towards any movement things yet? You should make teeny tiny kettlebells for her. ?

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

My 5yo decided to make breakfast this morning ? only complaint I have is that there isn’t a plate for me ?

?

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Didn’t think I’d be able to get a training session in today, but there was a strength class with only 2 people signed up and since they know what they’re doing anyway I figured I’d just train with them. It was nice and heavy. 

I noticed I’m more motivated to take care of future me by cleaning the kitchen before bed or even picking up a stray thing instead of stepping over it.

Yay for strength! And I'm glad your motivation to take care of things is coming back. For me that's a sign that a period of fatigue or under recovery is coming to a close.

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

My 5yo decided to make breakfast this morning ? only complaint I have is that there isn’t a plate for me ?

There are two plates... surely one is for you? In any case, good start, but further training will be needed if she is to be household chef. Show her this:

Spoiler

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Hello!! Nice to see you back posting!! I loved getting to catch up on your last couple weeks - the Sinterklaas evening sounded magical! ?

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I love this mindset - I'll have to remember this when I want to ignore the tidying and just crash. Lately our house has been a bit of a wreck and I definitely notice the effects on my anxiety. :( I love that you and Jaap are getting a chance to talk through your shared household goals and come up with some strategies. It's so much easier to make those kinds of changes when your partners is on board!

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Mindful Magic

On 12/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Is she gravitating towards any movement things yet? You should make teeny tiny kettlebells for her. ?

We actually have some small kettlebells! But so far she likes climbing on our little boulder wall (probably because her dad does it with her), all ways of swinging in the rings... and she's been taking swimming lessons that she absolutely loves :) she asked me if she could keep taking them until she is 18. 

On 12/10/2021 at 1:13 PM, Harriet said:

Yay for strength! And I'm glad your motivation to take care of things is coming back. For me that's a sign that a period of fatigue or under recovery is coming to a close.

There are two plates... surely one is for you? In any case, good start, but further training will be needed if she is to be household chef. Show her this:

Reveal hidden contents

Two plates, two kids! I suppose it's a good sign she made one for her little sister :P

And I looove this chocolate guy, we often watch his videos! We're also watching baking squad on Netflix.. and we used to watch Masterchef junior, but those are hard to find. 

On 12/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, athousandwords said:

Hello!! Nice to see you back posting!! I loved getting to catch up on your last couple weeks - the Sinterklaas evening sounded magical! ?

I love this mindset - I'll have to remember this when I want to ignore the tidying and just crash. Lately our house has been a bit of a wreck and I definitely notice the effects on my anxiety. :( I love that you and Jaap are getting a chance to talk through your shared household goals and come up with some strategies. It's so much easier to make those kinds of changes when your partners is on board!

Thank you! 

I do try to actively remind myself of the benefits.. how much nicer it will be for me- but also for Jaap and for the kids. And I do feel lucky that we're on the same page right now. How is that with you and your husband?

• Like 1

I had a rough couple of days. My dad had heart surgery on Friday and it drove me to distraction. Didn't sleep well the night before and then instead of the 2 hours it was supposed to take it took 5,5 - very stressful. And in my stressed outness I picked a fight with Jaap and he didn't realise where that was coming from so that was a nicely exploded fight that we didn't resolve that same night so Saturday sucked and then we spend that evening sorting things out and ugh bad sleep all around. Sunday was a bit raw on all fronts  but today (Monday) was recovery- we both got some extra sleep, went for a romp through the woods and ate Chinese take out while watching Netflix. 

My dad is probably fine. His heart is still out of proper rhythm, which they're trying to fix with meds right now, but if that doesn't work they'll give him a good shock and that should sort things out :d

Fully intended to do a couple strength sessions those past few days, but I did not. I did go for a good brisk walk during an hour long coaching call. 

I somehow managed to keep that new found motivation to take care of things. Very pleasantly surprising, because any other time I've felt better over the past almost 2 years any set back would ruin it. Good signs. I did a bunch of cleaning and decluttering in the bathroom, kept on top .. ok on middle of the laundry and my kitchen has been kept up reasonably. Jaap has kept the toilet clean, it's nice. (I still have to figure out how to manage the downstairs toilet.. toilets just freak me out, so gross)

Definitely training tomorrow. Squats sound good. 

• Like 3

Scary! I hope your dad is okay.

Enjoy your squats and your lovely tidy bathroom and kitchen! I hope things continue steady.

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I had a rough couple of days.

Ghost Hug GIF

• Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Scary! I hope your dad is okay.

Enjoy your squats and your lovely tidy bathroom and kitchen! I hope things continue steady.

Thank you! me too! but I really am hopeful- which is a very precious special thing that was missing for a while there. 

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Ghost Hug GIF

Thank you :) 

Today was a good day! I was very tired from my youngest waking up a couple of times during the night, but the morning started with all the hugs and work was very good.

I had three very nice interactions with clients- there was one young lady who came to me because she wanted to lose weight, but she hardly has any weight to lose, so over the past 2 years or so she slowly shifted perspective- we had some good realisations today that what she sees isn't what the rest of the world sees and lately she has been far more focused on gaining some muscle, so that's nice :)

The second was an intake and it was someone who was secret eating and very ashamed she couldn’t stop eating junk in the evenings and we had a very productive conversation about that which included a bit of an eye opener that she really can’t expect herself to not eat junk when her regular meals are barely 1100 calories when she needs approximately 2500. 

And the third cried on my shoulder for a bit, and that’s good too. I can do that :) 

I also did very heavy squats. And I mopped the floors at home.. might be only the third time this year ? 

• Like 1

Wednesday I went Christmas shopping (after morning classes and short strength training of my own) and had a Cup of tea with my baby sister. I’m putting together gifts for our interns and volunteers and those lonelier gym members that could really use it. It’s a lot of work so Jaap keeps telling me to stop and live with it not getting done but I just can’t you know? Ugh.

Today we went for a 2 hour walk in the woods and then I had a very short nap before work. Had a mix of live and online classes. Didn’t feel like working, but it’s always not so bad. Also did heavy squats again, because why not, and a bunch of other stuff. 
When I came home Jaap and the girls were having a dance party :) I joined in for a bit. 

Just had a long shower because sharks attacked. I find myself pondering wether I should work on losing some weight or not. The belly sometimes annoys me. And I’m curious if I could. Not sure I should spend any of my precious time and energy on it though… or will I gain more by doing so?

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 10:44 PM, KB Girl said:

Wednesday I went Christmas shopping (after morning classes and short strength training of my own) and had a Cup of tea with my baby sister. I’m putting together gifts for our interns and volunteers and those lonelier gym members that could really use it. It’s a lot of work so Jaap keeps telling me to stop and live with it not getting done but I just can’t you know? Ugh.

Today we went for a 2 hour walk in the woods and then I had a very short nap before work. Had a mix of live and online classes. Didn’t feel like working, but it’s always not so bad. Also did heavy squats again, because why not, and a bunch of other stuff. 
When I came home Jaap and the girls were having a dance party :) I joined in for a bit. 

Dance party sounds amazing ? So do squats and forest walking. Or perhaps even forest bathing where you meditatively absorb the forest atmosphere. I learned about this from a new age hippie workshop in California (that we didn't get to attend because COVID).

On 12/16/2021 at 10:44 PM, KB Girl said:

Just had a long shower because sharks attacked. I find myself pondering wether I should work on losing some weight or not. The belly sometimes annoys me. And I’m curious if I could. Not sure I should spend any of my precious time and energy on it though… or will I gain more by doing so?

Maybe later? You seem to be making some needed progress on the energy and mood front. Losing weight is a stress, so... maybe when your energy gains are more established?

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 2:03 AM, Elastigirl said:

That;s very sweet that you are putting together gifts for workers and gym members. Yay for dance parties!

Probably putting more pressure on myself than I should ;) but at least it looks like I’ll have more time for it now..

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Dance party sounds amazing ? So do squats and forest walking. Or perhaps even forest bathing where you meditatively absorb the forest atmosphere. I learned about this from a new age hippie workshop in California (that we didn't get to attend because COVID).

I’m a bit allergic to the hippy terminology, but forest bathing does sound like a very excellent idea ?

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Maybe later? You seem to be making some needed progress on the energy and mood front. Losing weight is a stress, so... maybe when your energy gains are more established?

Yes! Indeed. I should not risk my progress right now. But maybe I can focus on better lunch prep and things like that that will help in the long run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Some more of those ghost hugs would be nice. We’re heading into another lockdown, so gotta close the gym again.. ?

Loading Hug GIF by MOODMAN

Ghost Hug GIF

• Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

Thank you three! Really wish I could say I'm alright, but I'm not. Coping by shutting down and playing silly phone games. The lockdown will be for four weeks, which is an unfortunate amount of weeks- if it was just two then with the holidays we could say- guys- we'll see you in the new year, enjoy a break, something like that. And we'd have time off. But right now we have to do all the things again.. so instead of taking it easy this time of year we are extra busy with loaning out equipment, setting up online classes, contacting everyone.. and we're allowed to train groups of 2 outside, which is a real pain because now we have to (and it's good for those that need it for their mental health) but where am I going to find the time to offer everyone a spot for that? Ugh. 

Yesterday we got sushi and today we're having pizza and tomorrow we're going to work and picking up the pieces. Maybe after a good night sleep I'll feel better. Also shark week is currently happening so that's probably not making things any better. There is hope? x) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2021 at 3:58 AM, DaemonCorax said:

the holidays are too high pressure of a time to embark on weight loss. You’re such a functional and might human anyway, I would be kind to yourself and back burner it for now.

Yes absolutely.. I was thinking maybe January, but with this lockdown I'll be struggling to stay functional anyway, so nah. Kind of you to say though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Maybe after a good night sleep I'll feel better.

What is this "good night's sleep" of which you speak?

Sorry to hear about the lockdown. Every blow from this pandemic is getting more and more exhausting.