Forums are back in action! ×

Next Challenge

tonic

I'm still in the drafting stages for the next challenge. My diet and exercise goals are easy:

EX1: Do one 'proper' pushup (yup, I have a plan of attack)

EX2: Do yoga + stretching 20 mins 4 times a week

Diet: Drink at least 1L of water a day (I keep not drinking and ending up with a dehydration headache by the end of the day/in the morning).

But now I need a life goal. I'm headed home (NZ - yay!)for a two-ish week holiday in the middle of October, I need to find a job back here in Korea, or it could be something hobby related (art, games, writing, craft). Hmmmm, my life goal *could* be to create or cook one new thing from the awesome things I have pinned on Pinterest? And then photograph them for your guys viewing pleasure. That sounds like a nice goal.

Any thought, fellow nerds?

(P.S. HIGH-FIVE Lead!)

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

This will be my first real challenge… I started my own about two weeks ago to kinda test my goals and see if they were doable… I had to tweak a thing here and there but I think I got to some reasonable goals..

1st diet/fitness goal – walking/ running 6 days a week.

• 3 days a week do the 5k training and 3 days walk for 5 km (1 str, 1 dex, 2 sta, 1 cha)

2nd diet/firness goal – Hackers diet

• continue with the hacker’s diet, doing it first thing in the morning (after breakfast), moving up at least 1 rung (2 str, 1 dex, 1 cha)

3rd diet/fitness goal – Diet

• Limit carbs to 6 servings a day and log all I eat/drink (2 con, 1 sta)

Life goal – Studying

• Study for 2 hours a day (3 wis)

Any suggestions on those?

do you guys have any idea when the challenge will start??

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Those goals sound great, shoobie. Really measurable (and all round SMART).

However, don't you want at least one day off from studying a week?

What are you studying?

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Well my goals are still amorphous, but I think I have them in general.

Experiment with different exercises and have my first routine formed by the last week.

Experiment with different food-management strategies, since I already cook mostly from scratch. (Do I stay paleo? Can I get organized enough to have my main meal be lunch while cooking hubby's dinner? Will I ever find food-tracking software that doesn't frustrate me?)

Maybe a walking-related goal with a treadmill desk... need a fallback part of the goal if the podiatrist wins the fight that it's going to cause. (He wants me to veg out with Netflix.)

Life Goal: beat my mother in Chore Wars without cheating. (A little tetchy since the rules are very flexible, but I think I managed to get the balance worked out in our preliminary round.)

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Those goals sound great, shoobie. Really measurable (and all round SMART).

However, don't you want at least one day off from studying a week?

What are you studying?

Heya Sambalina,

I am studying for some government tests. Here in Brazil they pay well and you can only get fired if you kill someone (and I have no intentions of doing that!). These tests are really hard and the competition is just... huge. Most of the test is based on Brazilian laws, which is not my field (I have a biology and a physics background) and i thought that 2 hours a day is not that much in a day... and i can even go to the beach and take the book with me and read there.... but you might be right tho... maybe having one day to rest would be good... if i do the 7 days a week, great.... but maybe it is better to commit to 6.

On another note, I have the same problem with the water thing!! I made a bottle that helps me! you put markings on the bottle... either with "morning", "afternoon", "evening" or with times really.... keep the bottle with you... by that time of the day you have to be at the correspondent marking on the bottle... i can take a picture for you... mine is full of flavored water tho... so it is all red.... and yes, it is morning and it is marking evening *blushes* but i had some other stuff to drink last night!!

Its giving me an error to upload the picture!! but here's the link: http://picpaste.com/pics/2012-09-18_10.22.32-7ODFhkqo.1347975060.jpg

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

I'm tinkering away on my goals. 3 out of 4 are done.

I'm putting up a system of weekly small goals to work toward where I want to be.

Hopefully that way I won't be overwhelmed and can actually do it!

Goal 1: Self-acceptance / self-love (haven't figured this one out yet)

Goal 2: Relationship with food (generally obsess less over food, so no food log!!)

Goal 3: Exercise joy (find some joy in working out, so that I may actually do it!)

Goal 4: Finances (getting myself in a tricky situation financially lately, and that needs to change!)

Also shoobie! I like your bottle idea :D

I just have a bottle at work that I drink from. I really love your idea though!

Maybe I'll just make a bottle I need to empty in the afternoon/evening, as I barely drink when at home.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Also shoobie! I like your bottle idea

I just have a bottle at work that I drink from. I really love your idea though!

Maybe I'll just make a bottle I need to empty in the afternoon/evening, as I barely drink when at home.

Yay!!! I hope the bottle helps!! i am working at looking at the bottle so i remember to drink it!! I have managed to increase the amount of water a drink, even if i don't meet the bottle goal everyday... a little something is better than nothing!

As tempting as it is to put "kick this virus out of my body" as a goal, that's a little short sighted for my first challenge. So.

You Are Your Own Gym - 4 times a week for 5 strength

Martial Arts Class plus the minimum recommended practicing (forms 4 times per day, techniques 10 times per day) for 1 dex, 2 sta, 1 con, 1 cha

60 minutes of active motion per day (walking, cycling, extra practice, vigorous cleaning, etc) for 2 con, 1 cha

Life goal: Get my legal house in order (wills/healthcare proxy/maybe more life insurance, etc) for 1 wis, 1 cha

"What's a black belt?" "It's a white belt who never gave up, Ma`am!
flourless | level 3 halfling monk

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

But now I need a life goal. I'm headed home (NZ - yay!)for a two-ish week holiday in the middle of October, I need to find a job back here in Korea, or it could be something hobby related (art, games, writing, craft). Hmmmm, my life goal *could* be to create or cook one new thing from the awesome things I have pinned on Pinterest? And then photograph them for your guys viewing pleasure. That sounds like a nice goal.

Any thought, fellow nerds?

Yay! for going home, you must be so excited!! I know how much you've been missing home of late. Also I love the idea of you taking pics for our enjoyment - just don't use instagram ;)

Experiment with different food-management strategies, since I already cook mostly from scratch. (Do I stay paleo? Can I get organized enough to have my main meal be lunch while cooking hubby's dinner? Will I ever find food-tracking software that doesn't frustrate me?)

Life Goal: beat my mother in Chore Wars without cheating. (A little tetchy since the rules are very flexible, but I think I managed to get the balance worked out in our preliminary round.)

I've also been looking for a tracker. I've been using the FitnessPal for the past week and although that it doesn't meet my Paleo needs 100%, i do like it. What are chore wars?

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

My goals so far are:

2x exercise goals. 1x diet goals and 1x life goal plus a mini goal for each week!!

I might elaborate if i have some time this week. Please God let me have some time this week!!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Yay! for going home, you must be so excited!! I know how much you've been missing home of late. Also I love the idea of you taking pics for our enjoyment - just don't use instagram ;)

I've also been looking for a tracker. I've been using the FitnessPal for the past week and although that it doesn't meet my Paleo needs 100%, i do like it. What are chore wars?

Chore Wars is a site where you set up your household tasks as "quests." It's kind of like the 6-week challenge except you get to log your points every day. It looks like my chore list post got eaten, I guess I'll re-list it once the category for individual challenge threads open up.

And I just remembered that there is a way that my mother could pull ahead of me during the next 6 weeks. There are a few undefined quests so that we can claim a few points for rare stuff, like taking a furnace brush to the underside of the fridge. She can claim a ton of leaf-raking points while I would be struggling to find an equal amount of stupid misc tasks.

I installed MyFitnessPal on my phone but haven't messed with it. I think you might want to look at PaleoTrack.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I'm going to include a diet goal for the first time, mostly because it's gotten out of control again the last few weeks. Depression + stress eating + body hates me and keeps hurting itself = fat and feeling worse than before. So I think I'll have a goal along the lines of limiting indulgences, say 3-4 "indulgent" foods a week or something like that. And eating a real breakfast that isn't a brownie.

I'm also debating whether I should keep chipping away at that handstand or give it a break and focus on something else for a while. I don't feel like it's getting any better, BUT I also stopped working on it due to shoulder/neck issues halfway into the previous challenge. Now that those are resolved, I can move back into it? I don't know.

Definitely still in the mulling stage. I'll have them ironed out by the weekend.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

[table=width: 800, class: outer_border, align: center]

Fitness:[/td]Lose weight, 2600 kcal per day non-lifting days, 3100 lifting daysCHA +2 CON+2When we moved into my grandparent's house while we looked for a house, we moved into a home where pasta is served 3-4 nights a week and there are sweets applenty. It's had it's effects and I've gained quite a bit of weight. Time to reverse that. Graded based on % of days calorie goals are hit.sub 8 minute mileDEX+2 STA+2Gotta work toward that 24 min 5k if I wanna be a Spartan. The strength goals are met or well on their way. I also have to do 50 push ups, 5k in 24 min, and a hike with 30 lb pack. The running is the longest term goal I have left. Currently at a 10 minute mile, grade goes up for every 30 second I shave off.Lift twice per week, run 3STR +2 STA+1 CON+2This is how I'm going to hit that running goal, but I want to keep my lifts where they are so I can pick back up on them next time, so I'm going to keep lifting twice a week. Thinking of doing 5x8 in everything but squats and deadlifts to build some endurance since I'm not looking for gains. Graded on % of the 30 workouts I complete.Life Goals:

[td]

Stop Biting NailsWIS +2Did this before and was succesful. I really don't mind it but it grosses the wife out, so I'm going to try to stop for her. If our house offer falls through, additional goal is to look at 2 houses per week again.

[/table]

Here's my plan so far. I think I may once again be setting the bar too high, but if we're not looking for houses it should be achievable. Working a half hour run into the schedule is also much easier than a 2 hour lifting workout, so I'm hoping that helps.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On another note, I have the same problem with the water thing!! I made a bottle that helps me! you put markings on the bottle... either with "morning", "afternoon", "evening" or with times really.... keep the bottle with you... by that time of the day you have to be at the correspondent marking on the bottle.

Wow - good luck with your study and the tests shoobie - that sounds like an amazing goal!

I love your water bottle idea! I am definitely going to do that - thank you :)

I am suuuuuuuper excited! Shoes in my size? Oh my!

And seeing my mum, dad, brother, best friend - awesome!

Never fear - I don't even have instagram :D You are safe.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

I'm going back to my assassin roots for the next challenge, after a summer of doing a whole bunch of yoga with the druids. I think my goals for the next challenge are going to look something like this:

1. Pull-up challenge. 2 pull ups a day for the days that I'm home (or otherwise have access to a pull-up bar)... since I'm traveling the first week of the challenge. Then starting 10/14 I'm going to tackle Laura Witwer's 21 Days of Pull Ups only cut in half... so 5 reps instead of 10, 3 reps instead of 5, etcetera. Ideally I'd like to work up to doing the full program before the end of the year, but I've shot myself in the foot (well shot myself in the forearms tendons) by pushing too-far-too-fast with pull-ups.

2. Bodyweight & KB push workouts. I'm an aerialist, so most of what I do with my arms/shoulders are pulling movements. So to get some better balance, I've written up a short conditioning workup based around backbends, planks, handstands and some kettlebell pushes. I'm going to try to do it minimum of 2 times a week.

3. Low key fat loss. I could go into all the thinking behind this, but long story short, I'm going to see if using IF (similar to LeanGains, but without micromanaging macros), and cold exposure can help me lose some fat without having to be stressy and high intensity about it. Make some changes in my schedule and keep my overall food intake moderate and see if anything changes.

4. Life goal??? Underpants????

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I'm so excited for the next challenge. i found this site in the middle of the last/current one. I'm thinking about some fitness/diet goals. I know my life goal is going to be to CLEAN EVERY ROOM IN MY HOUSE! I have been a horrible housekeeper. I think I'm gonna try to give up sodas again for another goal. Now to think of the fitness goals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 Slayer Ranger

STR-4.5 DEX-3 STA-6.5 CON-4.5 WIS-5 CHA-3

Archived