Forums are back in action! ×

Let's do this

Alright.

Hi! I'm katie. I'm 22, and have been unhealthy/out of shape most of my life. I honestly have never run a full mile without stopping. Ever. This saddens me greatly, and I'm going to not only fix this, but do so much better.

Over the past 6 months, I've gradually started to make healthier decisions, and have lost 20 lbs just from changing my eating habits and trying to be more active. Now I've hit The Wall. This Wall requires actual effort, not passive "I'm not going to eat that today" or "I'm going to go for a walk!". Getting past The Wall means I actually have to work for this.

I lose track of goals quickly and easily, so I'm hoping to find a group here that helps motivate me to keep going. I know what I can be, I know what I can do, if I just put forth the effort. I'm terrible at self-motivation, but if someone says "Go do 20 pushups. Right now" I'll usually do it. I like doing for other people, I'm not accustomed to doing things for myself. I think this will change with time, but for right now, I need that little bit of help to get me going.

My current goals are thus:

• To be able to outrun the zombies when they attack.
  • To be able to go snowboarding and give it my all by February 2013.
  • To look damn fine in a bikini while I'm swimming and wakeboarding.
  • To be happy with myself and my body.

I think that about covers it for now. I'm ready.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

STR:2 DEX:2 CON:3 STA:2 WIS:3 CHA:3

"I always had one foot out the door, and that prevented me from doing a lot of things, like thinking about my future and... I guess it made more sense to commit to nothing, keep my options open. And that's suicide. By tiny, tiny increments."

Done and done, first thing I did after getting out of bed before work. Thanks! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

"I always had one foot out the door, and that prevented me from doing a lot of things, like thinking about my future and... I guess it made more sense to commit to nothing, keep my options open. And that's suicide. By tiny, tiny increments."

Also, I've tried C25K before, I just lost motivation. I definitely think it's worth giving another shot, though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

Good goals, the next step is to break them up into bite-sized mini goals so you have measurable ways to attain them. Then the mini-goals can be something you tell yourself to do, like have the goal fairy post the mini-goals on your walls with commands to attain them. Welcome to the rebellion.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome Katiedid!

Yay, Another Washingtonian! :smile-new:

I love your goals but I have to ask, how are you going to accomplish them? Like tank said, next step is breaking them down to mini goals so you CAN achieve what you want to do!

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

As for the running, I agree, a 5k would probably be good enough to outrun zombies. I hate running, I've never been good at it, but I fully believe that someday my life might depend on it (whether the threat is zombies or something worse). I wouldn't call C25k a "mini-goal" considering how many weeks it takes, but the program in itself is broken down into mini-goals, which totally works. I think a calendar on my bedroom door would be a good motivator here.

The Snowboarding is a bit easier. I definitely need to get my abs in good shape, and I could use some suggestions there. Normally I'd say lots of situps, but I've heard differing opinions regarding how healthy these are for your back. So if anyone has any advice on how to get my abs working harder, I'd appreciate it lots. Legs are important too, but I think the running will help with that a lot, and basic body weight workouts. I won't be ripped by Feb, but if I stick to this, I should be in good enough shape to hit the mountains.

The bikini is gonna take longer. Right now, I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs. Long-term goal weight is 140. This may or may not be bikini-ready, depending on how much muscle I'm packing on, but we'll see. Short-term goal would be to drop another pant-size. I would say each pant-size I drop would be a goal in itself. I'll need to think more on this one, but definitely exercising every day is something that's going to get me closer.

As for being happy and comfortable with myself... I imagine this will come with the above goals. Being strong, lean, and healthy is what I aim for.

Thanks for the responses so far, it really does help :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

As for the running, I agree, a 5k would probably be good enough to outrun zombies. I hate running, I've never been good at it, but I fully believe that someday my life might depend on it (whether the threat is zombies or something worse). I wouldn't call C25k a "mini-goal" considering how many weeks it takes, but the program in itself is broken down into mini-goals, which totally works. I think a calendar on my bedroom door would be a good motivator here.

I also hate running*. Given the whole desire outrunning zombies can I suggest zombies run if you have a phone that can run it? Makes 5ks relatively less boring.

*I also hate mud. I have no idea how I ended up with the goals I currently have bearing those two facts in mind

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Have you had a look at NF's Beginner Body Weight workout yet? I think you might like it.

Very much so. That one post alone made me realize how few excuses I have to get in shape. All of those I can do in my living room. I guess I didn't realize how much those planks help the abs.

As for diet, I'm still figuring things out. I tend to eat more healthy than not, but there's definitely room for improvement. No sweets, doughnuts, fast food, or soda for several months now, except on very rare occasions. I do have a weakness for pasta and cheese. I don't eat a whole lot of meat, chicken more than anything. I like getting my protein from beans, either on salads or in hummus or on breakfast burritos (difficult time giving up tortillas as well... but everything inside them is healthy).

I will say, it's a bit more difficult trying to eat healthier living with someone else who doesn't adhere to strict diets like I want to, especially when we're sharing meals and cooking for one another. I find myself eating foods that are less healthy just so they don't go bad and we waste money. It's a work in progress, and we've been lazy about it the past couple weeks, so I think it's time for another food talk :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

I also hate running*. Given the whole desire outrunning zombies can I suggest zombies run if you have a phone that can run it? Makes 5ks relatively less boring.

That sounds awesome. As soon as I get a phone that can run it, I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

I second planks for Ab workouts...they are phenomenal. Nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you as well :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

If you want to develop Abs, look good in a bathing suit, go to Steve's blog and check out Spezzy's story (It's the second link in the "Popular Posts" section on the right of the page a little way down). I think you'll find what you are looking for

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

If you want to develop Abs, look good in a bathing suit, go to Steve's blog and check out Spezzy's story (It's the second link in the "Popular Posts" section on the right of the page a little way down). I think you'll find what you are looking for

Read it before I joined the forums. That was definitely a reason for joining. She's quite the inspiration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

Lvl 1

Archived