Forums are back in action! ×

New Recruit Turning from the Dark Side

And by the Dark Side I mean sugar, sugar and more sugar. I love sugar like nobody's business. Then, a few weeks ago, my stomach just didn't like for me to eat anything and would grumble at me constantly. :flustered:

I started watching documentaries on how dangerous plastic is, and from there researching healthy eating and came across NerdFitness. It led me on to start reading Jordan S Rubin's book (which has some very similar food principles) and that awesome New York Times article from a decade ago, which has changed my understanding of the real forces of Good and Evil in the grocery aisles. :culpability:

Last weekend I started a 5-day cleanse, completed 2 of them before deciding being nauseous constantly was no fun, and moved on to full Paleo. Today is my 6th consecutive day with no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, and no kidding - it's been a little crazy! I didn't get to the articles that say NOT to do it this way until I was already doing it, so too late now! But I'm excited and, now that I'm past the sugar withdraw headaches, ready to get started exercising again.

I ran my first 1/2 marathon last April and sort of crashed after that. Spent the last 6 months jockeying my cubicle and eating worse and worse. All that changes NOW.

:star:

What I'm not sure about is the goal-setting. I think I've got a few good ones set up, but am open to suggestions.

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Welcome Lydieboo!

This might help for goal-setting. When creating goals, make sure they are SMART. No use in setting a goal that us unreachable. :)

Specific

Measurable

Attainable

Realistic

Timely

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Welcome to the rebellion, Lydieboo! It sounds like avoiding sugar would be a good goal for you, one in which you are well of the way. Sugar can be a tough bitch to kick, that's for sure. You also mentioned caffeine and alcohol - are those things you would like to add as specific goals? You said you are ready to start exercising again. Do you want to get back into running, or do something else? Figure that out and make a specific goal. Looking at other people's goals in their challenge threads can give you some inspiration and ideas for goal-setting.

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Welcome, why don't you go ahead and tell us your goals in the form you have them, that will give us a better idea of how to help you.

1: Go Paleo for 30 Days (I'm currently on day 5)

2: Drop a full clothing size (No specific time because I'm not sure what's realistic)

3: Kill a 5K in 40 minutes or less

4: Kill the Bolder Boulder in 90 minutes or less (this is in May and I was under 100 minutes last year)

5: Climb a 14'er in June

6: Be able to do a handstand (never been able to do one of those in my life)

7: Achieve level 10 on NFRP :redface:

I feel like there are some big jumps between those and some are hard to gauge an appropriate time frame on, thus looking for suggestions.

Oh yeah, and I can't wait to try my first 6-week challenge. I'm sad that there's one going right now, but it's probably good that I have to wait, 'cause I tend to take things WAY too fast and burn out on them.

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

You also mentioned caffeine and alcohol - are those things you would like to add as specific goals? You said you are ready to start exercising again. Do you want to get back into running, or do something else? Figure that out and make a specific goal. Looking at other people's goals in their challenge threads can give you some inspiration and ideas for goal-setting.

Thanks for the welcome, Avalonna. I actually am already sugar, caffeine, and alcohol-free for 7 days as of today (hurrah!) Trying to decide how long/much I want to stick to that where alcohol and coffee are concerned. I noticed that myfitnesspal counts "good" sugar (fruits, veg, meat) in the same category as "bad" sugar (candy, cake, donuts). That's frustrating, because it tells me I'm eating way too much sugar, but I am actually doing great!

As for exercising, I'm excited to get started with the basics from NF. I have never before been excited about strength training, so this will be a completely new experience!

I love how you just battle charged into paleo and were done with the hardest part before you read that you may want to cut back gradually. That's awesome! Shows what determination can do! Keep it up =)

Level 2 Ranger

Unknown Race

STR: 4  DEX: 5  STA: 6  CON: 6  WIS:  3  CHA: 1

Those are good goals, normally I would suggest you go ahead and get in on the current challenge, but if you feel you might take things to fast then defintely wait for the next one, that's good self-awareness. Sometimes people do try to do too much too fast and they have to step back at first.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I love how you just battle charged into paleo and were done with the hardest part before you read that you may want to cut back gradually. That's awesome! Shows what determination can do! Keep it up =)

I actually was doing a cleanse before going to Paleo, but the cleanse was making me nauseous, so I decided to hop onto Paleo. Paleo sounds fantastic after 2-3 days of no food!

Those are good goals, normally I would suggest you go ahead and get in on the current challenge, but if you feel you might take things to fast then defintely wait for the next one, that's good self-awareness. Sometimes people do try to do too much too fast and they have to step back at first.

Thanks! I did some bodyweight strength stuff last night and am really sore today in a few muscle groups, even though I don't feel like I did as much as I maybe could have done. But I'll be counting on lots of cheering on come January 1st!

Hey you got through the sugar/caffeine withdrawals, those are HORRIBLE! Good luck fellow Denver-ite!

Thanks! The caffeine wasn't so bad for me, since I didn't drink much of it - quit soda years ago. But yeah, you figure out how much of our "food" is addictive when you cut something completely out of your diet. The good news is that the headaches go away, and you lose that post-lunch coma in the afternoons. I ate about 20 minutes ago and am alert and have loads of energy. Paleo FTW!

Archived