Forums are back in action! ×

I ooooze up to the bar

To say hello!

We all know the best stories are the ones that begin in taverns, so that's where I shall start!

Hey there, everyone! I'm really, really new here, just joined the academy after a friend pointed me in this direction. I'm hoping to make this work for me :)

I live in the wayyy northeast of Ontario, just an hour south of Cochrane, give or take, and by gods is it cold here right now.  I was raised near Indianapolis, and born in New York...mawidge is what brings me up this way, and immigration has been nothing but a kick in the rear for me.

I started gaining weight when I went through my divorce to my ex-husband about 7 years ago, since then I've been stressed with immigration woes, lack of friends and family, and just all around poor conditions and food options. I gained an ulcer and various issues that I would love to get rid of and I feel doing SOMETHING is better than nothing!

I have a LOT of weight to lose, my final goal being close to 200 lbs and it is going to take me a really long time to achieve that goal, so I broke everything up into smaller bits.

I plan on being able to jog up our (short) street by August. I want to hike the trails around the local lake without getting winded and needing to stop every few hundred yards. I want to walk our husky without feeling like a ragdoll on the end of a leash. I am attempting to eat as well as I can, though cutting out carbs, sugars, and dairy is hard, especially for my husband who seems addicted to the stuff (but could also stand to lose some weight).

I need to find a way to exercise in this horrible weather, I never was a winter person...I'd rather stay home and draw and play Warcraft or Spyro or Skyrim lol

I run a 10 year old D&D based narrative RP game (whose art, maps, and work can be found here, at Blackwolf Mountain) through Skype IM that is my heart and soul. Even if I get busy in life, I am never too busy to GM (and art things for my game)! I enjoy World of Warcraft and have played for the better part of 8 years, met my husband in Burning Crusade...we play together, especially during the winters. I love to read and draw and play. I hope to add 'working out' to that list of things I love!

Anyway, I'd love to meet some new friends and gain some confidence and support...

LET'S DO THIS!

• Like 2

Bakari

Level 1 Half-Dwarf Mountain Nguar adventurer

STR 1|DEX 2|STA 0|CON 2|WIS 0|CHA 0

Master Dinnermancer | Keeper of The Den

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

Ha! I am living in Canada as well (although my immigration woes are recently wrapped up, for the most part... woohoo, and holler if you need support). Getting out for awesome walks is tough when everything's iced over, but it sounds like we have some similar startup goals... my body just isn't letting me do what I wanna do, mostly because I've been treating her mean.

Good luck, let's do this!

• Like 1

Victoria

Lv. 0 Hill Dwarf

Current Challenge
RunKeeper

Ha! I am living in Canada as well (although my immigration woes are recently wrapped up, for the most part... woohoo, and holler if you need support). Getting out for awesome walks is tough when everything's iced over, but it sounds like we have some similar startup goals... my body just isn't letting me do what I wanna do, mostly because I've been treating her mean.

Good luck, let's do this!

Let's! I wish mine were done with...it's been 7 years now! I was kicked out in February for being up here too long without filing (my lawyer takes her sweet time), and that was just stress upon stress (though it was good to see my friends again)!

Bakari

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!  Good luck with your challenges. :D

Thank you! All I can do is tackle them head-on and keep going. Seems I have a few more to add to this post though...hm lol

• Like 1

Bakari

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

Hi there! You make Scotland sound warm ;)

Best of luck in your challenges! I know what you mean about exercising outside in the winter... I hate winter so much. I wish I were one of these people who thinks oooh snow! time to go for a run! lol

If you have nice trails around where you are it'd be cool to take photos of it at different times of year, if you're into that sort of thing. So you can see it all changing over time *random thoughts*

• Like 2

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

You have got to explain D&D based narrative RP game to me ... does narrative mean no rolls?

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Hi there! You make Scotland sound warm ;)

Best of luck in your challenges! I know what you mean about exercising outside in the winter... I hate winter so much. I wish I were one of these people who thinks oooh snow! time to go for a run! lol

If you have nice trails around where you are it'd be cool to take photos of it at different times of year, if you're into that sort of thing. So you can see it all changing over time *random thoughts*

I was actually considering doing something similar with the photos! And omg I wish I was in Scotland instead...I loved our vacation trip there. My family is Scottish, my great grandparents on my father's side came over from Scotland. MacLeod is my last name lol This -40 stuff has GOT TO GO!

You have got to explain D&D based narrative RP game to me ... does narrative mean no rolls?

Yes! It means the only one doing the rolling is a GM, with few exceptions. You can't verify rolls from thousands of miles away, so we mostly just go with it. As long as a player is within the bounds of what his or her character can do, it's mostly just fine. No character sheets, your character levels kind of like in Skyrim. You get better only at the things you do in game. It was a normal tabletop D&D game, but then I moved away.

• Like 1

Bakari

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

Yes! It means the only one doing the rolling is a GM, with few exceptions. You can't verify rolls from thousands of miles away, so we mostly just go with it. As long as a player is within the bounds of what his or her character can do, it's mostly just fine. No character sheets, your character levels kind of like in Skyrim. You get better only at the things you do in game. It was a normal tabletop D&D game, but then I moved away.

Nifty ... if that works cool but y'all might check roll20.net, they're supposed to  have a pretty good interface for gaming online w/ dice rolls visible and such

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

Nifty ... if that works cool but y'all might check roll20.net, they're supposed to  have a pretty good interface for gaming online w/ dice rolls visible and such

Hey that's neat, I didn't know that existed! I'll have to check it out :) We use dice mostly for probability instead of stat rolls, so that could be useful!

Bakari

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

The best stories always include an ooze too! =D

Oh man, you're probably my new favorite member. XD I am fairly new to D&D and I'm kind of obsessed. I've only been playing for about 2 and a half years, but I've been DMing a campaign for a year and half of that soooo...I've learned a lot.

You might get a private message from me asking for pointers on occasion... >.> 

• Like 1

The best stories always include an ooze too! =D

Oh man, you're probably my new favorite member. XD I am fairly new to D&D and I'm kind of obsessed. I've only been playing for about 2 and a half years, but I've been DMing a campaign for a year and half of that soooo...I've learned a lot.

You might get a private message from me asking for pointers on occasion... >.> 

Hell yes! I love that kinda thing! I'm always up for a game and I love to help and make friends!  The ooze bit came from when I first started my long campaign, one of my players wanted to make an ooze character as a joke. Everyone else had come up with their ideas and walked up to the bar to have a seat. He turns to me and says "I want to make an intelligent ooze." "....Sure, why not!" "Yess! I oooooooooooze up to the bar!" It stuck lol

Hey! Also new, but welcome and congratulations on taking this big step to start on those goals!

Thank you! Welcome to you as well! If you need a friend to talk with, I'm here!

• Like 1

Bakari

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

So I'm just going to leave this here for y'all to enjoy ... :)

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Hey, 1 week in! How you getting on? I hope you haven't frozen solid over there. PS we have your snow now. I don't want to go out EVER AGAIN lol.

So far so good! I've gotten in a lot of exercise at home with dumbbells and an exercise ball in the space in my kitchen. My sister (a personal trainer in California...jealous) made me up an exercise routine I'm going to try out today :D The snow still hasn't stopped here and honestly I'm praying for spring to arrive early lol The sunny days are freezing cold and the snowy days are...snowy, can't win here! I hope you don't get it as bad as we have!

• Like 1

Bakari

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

Welcome! 

Oh I understand with the walking a dog and not feeling like a ragdoll. I have a husky/gs pup (9 months). He's getting better, but there's been a couple times he's pulled me across icey sidwalks!

I'm also on a mission to learn to run/jog - never did much of it, so i'm pretty much starting at square one. Also dealing with a husband addicted to sugar (in my view). After 2 years of battling, he's finally agreeing to cut it down! thank goodness!

I'm also (how many times can I say "also") struggling with winter exercise - i'm not used to these cold temps! I have found that my dog makes me walk a lot more - which is good, but also that games like Just Dance or Dance Central have been helpful for me to get moving - but I also like dance. There are first person shooter games for Xbox that use the Kinect to play. Their still not the greatest, but hey - it's fun and gets you off the couch - which is my problem. 

Good luck and keep us notified!

• Like 1

Level 2 Wood Elf Scout

(Current) Challenge #2

Welcome! 

Oh I understand with the walking a dog and not feeling like a ragdoll. I have a husky/gs pup (9 months). He's getting better, but there's been a couple times he's pulled me across icey sidwalks!

I'm also on a mission to learn to run/jog - never did much of it, so i'm pretty much starting at square one. Also dealing with a husband addicted to sugar (in my view). After 2 years of battling, he's finally agreeing to cut it down! thank goodness!

I'm also (how many times can I say "also") struggling with winter exercise - i'm not used to these cold temps! I have found that my dog makes me walk a lot more - which is good, but also that games like Just Dance or Dance Central have been helpful for me to get moving - but I also like dance. There are first person shooter games for Xbox that use the Kinect to play. Their still not the greatest, but hey - it's fun and gets you off the couch - which is my problem. 

Good luck and keep us notified!

We're quite similar then! My husky...uh...mutt...thing (pure white fur, sort of looks like a shepherd cross, shelter dog) is about 60 lbs and is all about dragging me into snowbanks and ditches whenever she can lol

I've got a long way to go before running, but jogging is getting close to doable if I alternate with walking! Husband is not giving up his sugar for anything, but I'm still at it! I find it hard to be good myself with him just doing whatever he wants. Just too tempting for me to do things I shouldn't and he could use to lose a couple of pounds himself.

I have a Wii my mother was nice enough to give to me (she couldn't figure out how to set it up and just kind of gave up on it), but I have no games for it. I wish I had a kinect, I love to dance!

Bakari

350 to 300 lbs progress

60%
60%

So far so good! I've gotten in a lot of exercise at home with dumbbells and an exercise ball in the space in my kitchen. My sister (a personal trainer in California...jealous) made me up an exercise routine I'm going to try out today :D The snow still hasn't stopped here and honestly I'm praying for spring to arrive early lol The sunny days are freezing cold and the snowy days are...snowy, can't win here! I hope you don't get it as bad as we have!

Not exactly, it snowed once, then it melted a bit, then it all froze over... That is an antifragile workout thing you've got going on there! When you don't even have to leave the house, there's no excuse :D

California... man, jealous +1!

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

I wrote a whole big response then it got deleted! Wah!  :hopelessness:

We're quite similar then! My husky...uh...mutt...thing (pure white fur, sort of looks like a shepherd cross, shelter dog) is about 60 lbs and is all about dragging me into snowbanks and ditches whenever she can lol

I've got a long way to go before running, but jogging is getting close to doable if I alternate with walking! Husband is not giving up his sugar for anything, but I'm still at it! I find it hard to be good myself with him just doing whatever he wants. Just too tempting for me to do things I shouldn't and he could use to lose a couple of pounds himself.

I have a Wii my mother was nice enough to give to me (she couldn't figure out how to set it up and just kind of gave up on it), but I have no games for it. I wish I had a kinect, I love to dance!

Anyway, I was going to say that my pup is 75 lbs (approx) now (and still growing!). I find it is all in how often we go for walks, and how willing I am to put up with it. If I feel like training (and not getting a good walk, exercise wise) I'll stop dead, clasp my hands together at my stomach, and wait until he essentially heels - When we started doing this he would pull a bit and figure it out, its actually not too bad for you/me either - as the goal is to not move an inch, so I found I was tightening up my core lots. 

I think running and jogging are the same thing - makes me feel better about myself when I'm shuffling along. I'm still only at about 1min walk/1min jog. But I'm working up to more! Slowly but surely! 

They have just dance and similar games for the wii. My neices were crazy over it before they got an xbox. I just find you can cheat more on the wii - so you have to be accountable for your own actions. 

Also, with the snow - shoveling is a good exercise! Thats what I tell myself everytime I have to. If you have snow - that also means there's snowshowing and cross country skiing that could be tried. Even tobogganing can be a workout (climbing back up the hill). It's like running on the beach, snow makes everything harder - but that means, come spring you should be stronger for it. Right?  :pride:

• Like 1

Level 2 Wood Elf Scout

(Current) Challenge #2