Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie Nerd Cycling Across the Country!

Hello Rebels!

I stumbled upon NerdFitness just last week and have decided to join.

My Story

My name is James Schwabacher. I'm a freshman at American University in Washington, DC. I don't have athletic abilities, and growing up I would always be more inclined to read a good novel than play kickball in the street. That's just me. However, I've always enjoyed cycling. So, following my bucket-list, I've decided to join 4k for Cancer in riding 4,000 miles across America this summer. The route is 70 days, beginning in Baltimore, MD and ending in Seattle, WA. Every day we ride between 50 and 130 miles, depending on terrain and route. Along the way, the 4k team seeks to raise cancer awareness and perform community service. Each rider must fund-raise a minimum of $4,500.

Alongside the fundraising, packing and planning, I must start training (there's that scary word). I'm pretty skinny, so if anything I need to gain weight while increasing both my strength and endurance.

Since being accepted into the 4k family I have made progress:

1. I'm more aware of how active I am every day

2. I've forced myself to start going to the gym!

3. I'm increasing my fitness knowledge (through websites such as this one)

But I have a loooooooooong way to go...

That's where YOU come in. Any advice? What should my diet consist of? And how would you recommend training for a long cycling Epic Quest?

You Can Help

You can find more information regarding the organization, me, and the trip through my Rider's Blog, my 4k Profile, and my personal site.

I will use my Rider's Blog to share my fundraising, training, and journey. I invite everyone to join me!

If you feel moved to do so, you can show your support by helpign to sponsor more ride, or even join the 4k for Cancer 2012 ride too! Spots for 2012 are still available. You can join here!

I look forward to being apart of Rebellion HQ and the NerdFitness Community :D

Remember, never wait to follow your dreams. Start following them today!

Best,

James Schwabacher

-James Schwabacher :cool-new:

Read my story here!

That sounds awesome, it also sounds like you'll likely be burning through your leg muscles. I'd recommend doing squats and deadlifts to increase their strength and size as well as eating a ton to fuel that. You won't have to worry about gaining fat weight since you'll burn it all off on your journey!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

This is awesome! Even though I'm also new here, I'd suggest focusing on strengthening core muscles as well - it'll save you from back pain in the long run.

Best of luck with your training - I look forward to hearing about your progress! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Sounds like an amazing adventure! Definitely one worth writing about.

I don't have a clue what you need to do to get prepared for that - my cycling experience is limited to when I was a kid on my off brand BMX bike- but I do wish you much luck and will be following your progress

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

I did my first multi-day long tour - Land's End to John O-Groats, about 1100 miles - this May. I did it slow and loaded with camping gear, but this should still apply:

Your legs will "ride in" after a few days, and it will stop seeming like a crazy effort to get up and rolling. Those first days are a mental challenge. Keep yourself happy!

Specific conditioning: get the miles in. Do plenty of weekend long rides in the three months or so leading up to the event. This is not a time to be doing deadlifts: adaptation to continuous persistence-hunter cardio is the deal and it comes with the miles. Hit the gym before getting into miles mode, and later afterwards (my current powerlifting obsession is direct rebound from twiddling pedals for a month). Oh, and do those miles on the road where possible: trainer-bike miles are smooth and don't have the bike-handling, weather, hills, drama or fatigue-drumming that the road has (famously a reality-TV Brit tried to do RAAM on trainer miles, and died like a dog).

The ride is in May, so gym and fitness for the grimdark quarter until it's light and warm, then get out there. :)

Comfort! Fit your bike for comfort. Any niggles on day one will be a source of vexation on day N, and of bleeding sores and rage on day X. Saddle change, comfy bar tape, non-pinchy shoes, and so on. I strongly recommend clipless pedals and shoes, as they're much more efficient and therefore energy-saving and awesome. Your bike shop can fit 'em.

They ain't lying about butt butter in the FAQ. I became a devotee (every 4h, to prevent chafing) because riding every day is more wear and tear; ymmv. Pay attention to hygiene even if you're dog-tired: get a shower soon after getting off the bike (this recommendation thanks to the good audaxers of YACF).

Eat! They say food's provided, so you should be fine on this. If you ride steadily, the energy burn is much like hiking so there's little danger of bonk (aka hunger knock aka the wall). If you're going a bit faster -- and you will on the long days -- pay attention to ride nibbles to keep your blood sugar up. Carbs are your friend.

To quote Fausto Coppi, if you want to get better, "Ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike."

Andy has some really good ideas. I would add, make sure you get used to riding in a group, it will make your ride a lot easier and enjoyable. Even in the winter a lot of bike shops or teams have regular group rides and welcome new riders.

While you're in gym mode I'd focus on squats, deadlifts, and rows. You obviously want to strengthen your quads and glutes. But long miles always left me with an aching lower back and anything you can do to strengthen that will help. Taking a spin class makes sense, it's never to early to condition your butt.

You don't need to do a ton of riding right now, but having a 1000 mile base before you start would be a good rule of thumb.

The Paleo diet isn't going to be compatible with the way they will feed you on the trip, so I wouldn't get your body used to it. Expect to eat lots of spaghetti.

Have a lot of extra clothes, make sure you wash your shorts every night so you always have a clean dry pair.

It sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with your training.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log