Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Heh.  That's one way to punch Bro culture where it hurts.

So if I want to hit on girl staffs, I can pretend that I need assistance to return the weight, yes?

Being too weak to re-rack your weights is probably not the best way to make a first impression - although I could be completely wrong; I've never been a female staffer at a gym before. ;)

We have a similar sign in my gym, as well as this one which made me chuckle.

021df94062c28cfb24218fb6efbaca9d.jpg

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Today at the gym I learned something, while the bars we use are the same weigth as a real olympic bar. They are defenatly not as strong.

The one I have been using for deadlifts is apparanetly starting to bend slightly. It's a very small curve, almost unnoticable.

The trainer pointed out that I'm the only guy putting this much weight on the bar, so I cheerfully pointed at the saying on his wall "If the bar ain't bending you're just pretending" and we had a good laugh about it. Besides the bar claims it can take 250kg, so I defenatly have enough room for improvement for at least another year or 2 :D

All the ones I've used flex starting around 300 or do

Thats probably the same type as what my gym is using, trainer called them chinese bars. They're basically a 1/4 of the price olympic bar knock-off, most commercial gyms (specially here in Belgium) never have to worry about anyone getting near the weigth needed to bend one.

As it stands I'm the strongest guy at the gym, at 150kg squat, 200kg deadlift, 120kg bench, 75 overhead thats not all that impressive really. I haven't even reached advanced lvls for my bodyweight.

Yeah, I believe olympic bars typically start to bend close to 450-500 lbs.

BQb3RVYCIAAYzfv.jpg

I cracked a tooth clenching my mouth that hard. Now I lift with a mouth guard when it gets that heavy.

Goal 1: To lose 90lbs!

15%
15%

Goal 2: Cut 5 minutes out of my 5k time
0%
0%

Goal 3: Complete the Spartan 300 Plank Challenge
16%
16%

Level: 0

Race: Half Orc

Battle Log Current Challenge

Strength (STR) - 0 Dexterity (DEX) - 0 Stamina (STA) - 0 Constitution (CON) - 0 Wisdom (WIS) - 0 Charisma (CHA) - 0

Thats probably the same type as what my gym is using, trainer called them chinese bars. They're basically a 1/4 of the price olympic bar knock-off, most commercial gyms (specially here in Belgium) never have to worry about anyone getting near the weigth needed to bend one.

As it stands I'm the strongest guy at the gym, at 150kg squat, 200kg deadlift, 120kg bench, 75 overhead thats not all that impressive really. I haven't even reached advanced lvls for my bodyweight.

Strongest guy in the gym? Badass...but that means you now have to find a new gym!
  • Like 1

Strongest guy in the gym? Badass...but that means you now have to find a new gym!

similar to the saying "if you're the smartest man in the room, you're in the wrong room" yes?

• Like 2

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

similar to the saying "if you're the smartest man in the room, you're in the wrong room" yes?

Exactly! Thankfully I never have to worry about being either lol
  • Like 1

I have to rant.  It finally happened - after peak hours, no less.  Dude Bro was "training" two women - "coaching" them on a front squat.  They'd never done this before, and he set them up with a short bar and 40 pounds.  They couldn't even get the bar past their knees.  So he comes over, hefts it up, balances on one woman's hands in a basic "overhead press" position (mind you, not the actual front squat bar position) and tells them to carry on.

Then he kind of works into my session on the squat rack.  No belt.  230 pounds on the bar - 275 pounds total.  Puts the pad on.  Then hefts it up and starts squeaking as he squats.  And by squats, I mean his knees were halfway past his toes and if his hips dropped more than 15 degrees from center line, I'd be surprised.  I was actually wondering what the gym's policy was for medical emergencies because I was positive something was going to break.

And his brother tried to tell him his form was garbage and his response?  "That's ok bro, I got this."

• Like 2

Ah, thing is in Belgium strength sports aren't as big a thing as in many other parts of the world. I'm fully aware that I should find a gym with people stronger than me. But I already had to look pretty hard to find one of this lvl, any other gyms around I can reach in reasonable time are only 1 or 2 cuts above the infamous planet fitness. Dumbells tend to only go up to 36kg and plates are also fairly limited. At least at this gym the people are friendly, the equipment is good and when I request a new piece of equipment they seriously consider it (there is no trap bar right now, but after I explained it they found it interesting and ordered one). My request for dumbells over 50kg was economically not feasable though :sorrow:

Before I moved at my previous gym the owner was this mountain of a man that incline benched 50kg dumbells for easy clean reps (He did admit to steroid and GH use even if he did not recommend or sell it). He also constantly hounded all the people in the free weight section on form and full ROM, so I know the advantages of having stronger people around. I remember dumbellpressing 36kg while he sat down next to me and started with those 50's and I thought "Damn some day I'll get there just you bloody wait!".

So yeah I'm not impressive, it's more of a "In the land of the blind, one eye is king" kind of situation :pirate:

• Like 2

I was at a place that bills itself as an Olympic training facility (the pool is certified to within 1" in all directions as an Olympic pool).  They have Elieken Olympic bars.  Definitely flex with 335 on when I give it that pop at the top of a squat.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I was at a place that bills itself as an Olympic training facility (the pool is certified to within 1" in all directions as an Olympic pool).  They have Elieken Olympic bars.  Definitely flex with 335 on when I give it that pop at the top of a squat.

I don't know the tensile strength of steel, but I'd be willing to bet it's gonna flex no matter what when you have that much weight on it.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I don't know the tensile strength of steel, but I'd be willing to bet it's gonna flex no matter what when you have that much weight on it.  

It depends I recently read an article of a gym owner in Japan that made his own bar with the help of a local steel factory (apparanetly decent bars and plates are crazy expensive). They used a thicker bar (38mm instead of the standard 28mm) of cold steel, it didn't flex at all on his 210kg squat.

• Like 1

It depends I recently read an article of a gym owner in Japan that made his own bar with the help of a local steel factory (apparanetly decent bars and plates are crazy expensive). They used a thicker bar (38mm instead of the standard 28mm) of cold steel, it didn't flex at all on his 210kg squat.

I guess I should have specified a standard bar.  Adding a full 10mm to the diameter is huge. They upped the diameter by more than 35%. That probably won't flex with any weight that man could lift.   

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

So talking to one of the trainers at the gym about how I switched to 5/3/1 cause I'd been stuck for a while and how by combining 1 upper with 1 lower body lift every day is leg day (squat or dl). One of the other people training there chimes in "yeah but Ive seen you train it's only one exercise per day, I do squats, lunges and calv raises every other day".

Luckily he fucked of right after saying that cause I had to bite my fist not to burst out laughing, of course the trainer asked me why so I told him I saw the guy halfrepping in the smithmachine with one 20kg plate on each side. I know halfrepping has its place. But in this case the absurdity just made me laugh.

• Like 1

I guess I should have specified a standard bar.  Adding a full 10mm to the diameter is huge. They upped the diameter by more than 35%. That probably won't flex with any weight that man could lift.   

Not to nerd out too much... those 10mm are a 3.4x increase in the area moment of inertia of a circular cross section, which means 3.4x lower max deflection when the bar is loaded. 

• Like 3

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

^this...There is this girl who lifts and runs at my gym daily, but takes the elevator to go down one level. :hopelessness:

I know this was quite a while back, but I couldn't sleep, so I was reading through the old posts on this topic, and I feel the need to say something.

I have been seeing a physical therapist for a very painful issue. I am okayed to lift and to run, as long as it is on a flat surface. However, i am not to walk/run on an incline or take stairs.  So, per PT orders, I'd be that girl.