Forums are back in action! ×

I got chased by zombies on my run today!

GUYS! I got chased by zombies on my run today. No shit, there I was and I could hear them....through my headhpones.

I waited to write about this until I tried it out and it is freakin' awesome. Want to feel like a hero of the small contingent of humans surviving the zombies apocalypse while you run? get this app: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/ (sorry, android friends, the android one isn't out yet...but they're planning one).

Basically, it tells a great story while you run (in between tracks if you give it a playlist from iTunes to play), you collect supplies as you go (it's automatic, no need to push buttons while running), and the coolest part: if you run outside with the GPS on it will institute periodic "Zombie attacks" where you have to run faster for up to a minute to escape the zombies. Freakin'. Rad.

Once you get home, you can take the supplies you collect and use them to level up different parts of your base. The higher your base levels, the more missions you unlock. The production quality is actually pretty good, on par with any book on tape I'd say. I really enjoyed the first mission at least, hoping the others are just as good.

Just realized this sounds like an infomercial. I am NOT being paid to say this, I just thought it was a cool app other geeky fitness types would get a kick out of. It's on the pricey side ($8), I suspect because of the cost of producing such a thing, there are 25-30 missions, each with actors doing the voice-overs, so I'd bet it was a pricey bit of app, but it's a lot of fun. Check it out if you want some running motivation. For those who get bored it's a nice way to break up the monotony too!

- Shorty

"Alright you egg sucking piece of gutter trash you always liked pushing around people smaller than you. Well I'm smaller; try pushing me."

They do have it for Android Clicky click for Android market link

Also this is the third thread I've seen on this topic... one ... two

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

This app is seriously tempting me to bite the bullet and get a smartphone when my contract is up this spring. I know they say it works on ipod touch, but I'm sure it would be somewhat crippled by the lack of GPS.

Very neat idea.

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid" -

Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade! "

" Good! " said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

They have one version out for the Android, but it's not the full version. It's a very toned down version, with no storyline or anything like that - just a GPS game with red dots indicating zombies that you have to run away from.

The storyline version of the game for Android comes out later this Spring. Or so they say.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

- Philipians 4:13

AWESOME TEAM OF FLYING MONGOOSES!

Jump Rope Challenge: 800

Do you program in how far you want to run? Say you're only going out for a mile or so, would you put that in somehow or would zombies start attacking right outside my apartment when I'm finished?

You can stop/pause the game at any time. That happened to me, actually was ramping up for a new mission/zombie attack as I got to my door and I just stopped the game and returned to base. It was fine.

- Shorty

"Alright you egg sucking piece of gutter trash you always liked pushing around people smaller than you. Well I'm smaller; try pushing me."