I spent Zero Week at a work retreat up in Cape Cod and it was an amazing, fun, hilarious, thought-provoking experience in all the ways my company does best. And even though it was work focused (I mean, nominally - it definitely tipped more toward "fun" on the whole) I ended up taking back a lot of insights home about myself, what I've learned over the years, and how I work best. In his keynote address, our CEO said a couple things that stuck out to me: "Stop re-learning what you already know" and "Put your energy toward what you're already good at." I feel like a lot of times I set myself up for disappointment by trying something that didn't work for the twelfth time (Surely this time it will work!) or trying to be someone I'm not.

So this challenge, I'm going to put the bulk of my energy into what I already know works and feels easy, I'm going to spend a little time trying to improve some areas where I want to grow, and then I'm going to do something just for fun...

CHALLENGE GOALS

giphy.gif

🧁🧁🧁 3 Habits I'm Good At:

The best bakers don't shy away from what comes naturally. Giuseppe’s immaculate Italian flavors; Kim-Joy's adorable decorations; Nancy's classic baking expertise; Rahul's technical precision; James' scientific background. They lean into what they know works. This challenge I'm going to focus what's already working - this is a solid foundation.

• Log food on LoseIt every day
  • Drink 8 cups of water every day
  • Read 3x a week

1472034599-baking-gif.gif?resize=1200:*

🥖🥖 2 Areas I want to Improve:

Of course, we couldn't make it to Week 10 without stretching ourselves. I'm aiming to improve these areas of my life. I'm not striving for perfection here, but even a little progress is better than nothing!

• Increase daily movement
    • Start each day with a walk/run/weights
    • Spend part of my workday on the treadmill (Meetings? Catch up time?)
    • Take 5-10 minute movement breaks during the day
  • Tidy up the house every evening

azplj71aa6ph6vw0bt4i.gif

🍰 1 New Thing to Try:

This is an invitation to be playful, to get creative, to involve the kids, and to make some delicious yumminess.

• Bake something weekly!

Of course, no challenge is perfect. During week 4 I have the misfortune of going on a week-long cruise to Bermuda - womp, womp. So I'm just going to do the best I can while I'm here and enjoy my vacation to the fullest while I'm gone.  As for tracking - I'm going to try out Rebel One and tisworth's suggestion and track using The Additive Method. I don't know exactly where I'm going to track, but we'll figure that out as we go.

I think that's about it for this challenge, so...

5105f3969e32c295_gbbo3.gif

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

CURRENT CHALLENGE: 3, 2, 1... Bake!

Hope you have a great challenge, and you avoid a soggy bottom!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Witty title goes here

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Here to cheer!! 😁🥳🎉

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Laghail said:

are you seriously threatening us with non-stop GBBO memes and jokes??? 

And gifs - don't forget the gifs 

Bake Off Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

Week 1 - Monday/Tuesday

LoseIt: 🧁🧁

Water: 🧁🧁

Read: 🧁🧁

Movement: 🥖🥖

Tidy: 🥖🥖

Bake: 

Week 1 is going really well so far.  I was worried it would be hard to get back into tracking calories and drinking water after taking zero week off at the retreat, but it's been surprisingly easy to get back into the groove. Matt's out of town this week, so I've been trying to make dinners pretty easy. Yesterday I just had the kids make their own pizzas on naan - big kid went wild with ham, pineapple, and green apple (?) while little girl just had cheese. I had a very satisfying prosciutto, zucchini, and basil pizza myself.

I'm extra proud of how much movement I'm getting in these last couple days. I've challenged myself to find time to walk during the workday - yesterday I took an all-hands call on the treadmill, and on Monday I actually wrote up my challenge while walking! I'm going to go out for a short walk as soon as I finish up this entry, while the weather is still mostly cool, and then probably hop back on the treadmill this afternoon during a mostly-listening call. I'm trying to get over 10k steps every day and break up all the sitting with more stretching. So far, so good.

No chance to bake yet, but maybe tomorrow night I'll have the kids help me bake something yummy to bring to school on Friday - it's teacher appreciation week.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

2 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Edit: Yes. Below is my favorite contestant and his interesting pizza

I loved Janusz!!

janusz-getting-rid-of-emotiona-pain-aux-

Frankly I'm still mad that Dan phoned it in with his "PIZZA" bake last year. Since I didn't actually bake anything for our pizza night yesterday (pre-made naan), I will not be trying to present it as a bake, unlike Dan who had no business giving the judges that underbaked train wreck of a showstopper. 😡

image.png.28c0b726704299d35aa1b89d95415df3.png

• Like 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

23 minutes ago, athousandwords said:

I loved Janusz!!

He was such a sweetie, while also executing competent and surprising bakes. 10/10

23 minutes ago, athousandwords said:

Frankly I'm still mad that Dan phoned it in with his "PIZZA" bake last year. Since I didn't actually bake anything for our pizza night yesterday (pre-made naan), I will not be trying to present it as a bake, unlike Dan who had no business giving the judges that underbaked train wreck of a showstopper. 😡

Did he get sent home for that one?

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

5 hours ago, Laghail said:

Did he get sent home for that one?

He should have. It was a real GBBO controversy - similar to the Baked Alaska disaster of yesteryear...

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Week 1 - Wednesday/Thursday

LoseIt: 🧁🧁🧁🧁

Water: 🧁🧁🧁🧁

Read: 🧁🧁🧁

Movement: 🥖🥖🥖🥖

Tidy: 🥖🥖🥖

Bake: 

I'm really digging my movement goal so far this challenge. I have a soft goal for 10k steps a day with at least 4 movement breaks during the work day. That might mean running downstairs for a refill on coffee and doing some tidying up around the house, or putting on a quick 5 min stretch video. So far I particularly like this channel for a quick standing stretch, even though there's something about the movements that makes me feel incredibly middle-aged. 😆

Dinners have been super easy around here. Last night I used some canned shredded chicken + avocado in a quesadilla and the kids gobbled it up. Tonight was the ol' classic standby: hot dogs with mac and cheese. Not winning any food competitions here, but everyone is fed and I'm still hitting my calorie goals.

My husband suggested baking something to bring to his mom's on Sunday and I jumped right on board. I need to do a grocery run tomorrow anyway, so I can pick up ingredients and play around with something fancy. My MIL is gluten-free so it's always a fun challenge to bake something that actually tastes good....

giphy.gif?1473992534

(Feel free to send me your tried and true gluten-free desserts if you have any...)

• Like 3

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

15 hours ago, athousandwords said:

but everyone is fed and I'm still hitting my calorie goals.

That's a win!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Week 1 - Friday/Saturday

LoseIt: 🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁

Water: 🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁

Read: 🧁🧁🧁

Movement: 🥖🥖🥖🥖🥖🥖

Tidy: 🥖🥖🥖🥖

Bake: 🍰

The weekend has been really great so far. Yesterday, my husband arranged a date night for an early Mother's Day gift. He bought tickets to one of our favorite musicals that was showing at a local theater (Reefer Madness 🌿) and got his parents to take the kids for a sleepover. We had dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant before the show, which was amazing (and soooo filling). And I got a last minute appointment to get a second ear piercing as a gift to myself. 

PXL_20240511_203955133_MP.thumb.jpg.d91936194ecfd56097694e102e54a805.jpg

We got home late, but we weren't tired, so I baked a lemon pie for today's brunch at my in law's. Nothing like midnight baking while listening to the Reefer Madness soundtrack! This morning we got to sleep in, then I made some gluten-free brownies. Rave reviews from the family on the desserts. ❤️

PXL_20240512_174544405.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.04125b2db3425e0a31054fe0a794b022.jpg

• That's Metal 3

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Your little lightning bolt stud is amazing. Happy Mother's Day!

• Like 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Week 1 Wrap Up

LoseIt: 🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁

Water: 🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁

Read: 🧁🧁🧁

Movement: 🥖🥖🥖🥖🥖🥖

Tidy: 🥖🥖🥖🥖🥖🥖

Bake: 🍰🍰

Lightweight weekly wrap up. I'm feeling really good about all my core habit goals (🧁 goals) - great numbers this week. I got a lot of movement in and the house stayed really clean! We actually had the cleaners come out today and normally it's a frantic pick-up-everything the night before, but last night was a breeze in comparison. And I got two bakes in - the lemon pie late on Saturday night and the GF brownies on Sunday morning. 

This week in LoseIt:

image.png.de3f79d6e55a1e4cc7210a5e4a05ef93.png

This week in Fitbit, compared to an average week last challenge:

image.png.94b99c09dc7e141ab5b2c6c6a20f70f2.png   image.png.f23311cf7f1a5f25fe074d6d9181c2a3.png

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

59 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Also, Liam did a comic book run on Sunday and he pointed out this item in the shop with you in mind:

image.jpeg.c07feb586c1eaa427384dd7af200940d.jpeg

1) That is very sweet of him

2) THERE'S A GAME?!?

According To Jim Reaction GIF by Laff

• Haha 3

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Great week one! Your step count is fabulous and yay for less frantic cleaning!

• Like 1

Week 2: Monday - Wednesday

LoseIt: 🧁🧁🧁

Water: 🧁🧁

Read: 🧁

Movement: 🥖🥖

Tidy: 🥖🥖

Bake: 

I'm struggling a little this week, in a way I normally don't hit until week 3. 😆 I think it has to do with the rain and my work schedule being a little different than normal - not so many meetings I can jump on the treadmill during. And with Matt back home to split up the bedtime/kitchen cleaning routine with, I haven't been great about tidying up in the evenings (the house is still in good shape at least). Also, not to tell on myself, but I've been giving over to doomscrolling a lot this week, and that's never productive for my mental health (literally didn't I just do an entire challenge fighting back against this? ugh).

Tonight I'm going to get my last 1000 steps in by tidying up the house and then settle in with a book for the evening. Hopefully tomorrow the sunshine and good weather will bring better results.

• Like 3

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel