Forums are back in action! ×

Any RolePlayers here?

I have limited experience, but am looking for a good table top to play with the kids, something to get into to help keep them engaged on a Saturday night and off the idiot box, get them using their imagination. Maybe you guys with vastly more knowledge/ experience can suggest something. Looking for something easily accessible, preferably with an Asian or martial arts theme

• Like 1

xoek, I play a homebrew RPG with my kids. We really only play it when they have friends over for a sleepover. So it's me and the 4 kids (two 9 year olds and two 7's). Generally I run the games, but one time one of the older kids did, and that was fairly rad.

The game system is VERY "rules-light", almost to the point of being "rules-invisibile";) We tend to play Superhero games, but it would work fine as Fantasy, Martial Arts, Espionage and more.

Their characters consist of a few basic stats (STR, DEX, and MIND), each of which get a score from 1 (regular human) to 5 (Thor). The stat is used as the d20 modifier, and everything is based on DC checks. Characters all have HP (ranging from about 30 for Aunt May to 250 for Silver Surfer), and an AC (5 for a stationary training dummy up to 15). The kids themselves just assign values, though I suppose we could roll dice to randomly generate characters.

Then there are powers. Each power has a damage rating (simply how many HP it deals) and a frequency (can be used every round, every other round, once in a battle, once a day, etc). Non-offensive powers (flight, force fields, Hold Person, teleportation, etc) are just noted and handled as needed.

It's usually a fun time. Last session saw the 4 cosmic level heroes (Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Black Bolt) chasing down an alien threat that came from some other star system, and started moving through our solar system. First they fought it on Neptune, then Uranus, then Saturn, then they realized they should get to Earth and start shoring up some defenses because that's where it was eventually headed.

• Like 2

Archer | Fencer | Painter | DM

A call to adventure...

Level 3 Ranger - Current Challenge [2] [1]

STR: 7   |   DEX: 8   |   STA: 7   |   CON: 10   |   WIS: 2   |   CHA: 3

xoek - to emyerson's idea - you can easily make it up as you go along. The main thing is to provide some structure rather than letting the kiddos run wild ... honestly that's what separates D&D from Cowboys & Indians, rules for conflict resolution. 

If you're looking for something already put together then I might suggest Ninja BurgerFeng Shui or FATE / FATE Accelerated (with a home brew kung fu setting)

• Like 2

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Shadowrun, Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons 5e, and Warhammer 40k:Dark Heresy.

Personal favorite is Pathfinder due to the online SRD.

Lvl 4 Dragonborn (Dungeons and Dragons not Skyrim) Warrior

STR:8.5 DEX:3 STA:10.5 CON:7.5 WIS:5 CHA:4

MyFitnessPal (Looking for NerdFitness PPL)

Current Challenge

Completed:PMyrrh's Viking Winter PMyrrh's Path of the Persevering Paladin Brazen and Unabashed 5 minute Spartan Plank 50/50 Squats

COLD ASS VIKING CHALLENGE: 30/30

100%
100%

Hey guys the PBP Pathfinder group just finished our first adventure and we are going to be starting up the second soon. You can check out the post in the link in my thread, and stop by the OOC thread.

If your interested its a pretty fun and casual thing that is mostly narritive driven. You can read the adventure from start to finish all in the link in my sig. But the later posts are really where we started "figuring it out" as this was a new experience for most of us.

Let me know if your interested!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I play in a weekly Pathfinder game. We just finished the 6 trials of Larazod. 

My character landed the role of Larazod, but was so heavily injured by the first strike in the boss fight that he turned himself invisible and hid behind a curtain, sucking his thumb, until the fight was over. 

It was possibly the best roleplaying moment I've ever had. 

I've played D&D 4, 3.5, Paranoia, Pathfinder, and other things I've forgotten. So. Hi. :D 

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

I do some PbP on a site called RPG Crossing.  Right now I'm playing in a World of Darkness game with a viking theme and a 5e game with a musketeers theme.  I'm also DMing a Pathfinder game set in a homebrew world and a ModernPath with an X-files theme to it.

So far my favorite system is Pathfinder but I'm learning a few others that I'm growing fond of.  In particular Green Ronin's Adventure Game Engine which is the system they used for their Dragon Age RPG games.

• Like 2

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~ Judy Garland

I do some PbP on a site called RPG Crossing.  Right now I'm playing in a World of Darkness game with a viking theme and a 5e game with a musketeers theme.  I'm also DMing a Pathfinder game set in a homebrew world and a ModernPath with an X-files theme to it.

So far my favorite system is Pathfinder but I'm learning a few others that I'm growing fond of.  In particular Green Ronin's Adventure Game Engine which is the system they used for their Dragon Age RPG games.

D&D 5E is pretty slick - a bit easier than 3.X/PF. 

I've seen AGE and I know the Tabletop RPG show is using the Fantasy AGE system - which I'm excited about.

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

D&D 5E is pretty slick - a bit easier than 3.X/PF. 

I've seen AGE and I know the Tabletop RPG show is using the Fantasy AGE system - which I'm excited about.

I agree that 5e is a bit easier I do like the diverse nature of 3.x/PF.  PF in particular since I'm allowing a few 3rd party publishers for my players to use.

And yes I am absolutely looking forward to the RPG show.  I also wonder if Green Ronin will publish the generic AGE system for consumers to purchase because once I heard that was what was going to be used I looked for one and could not find one.

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~ Judy Garland

I agree that 5e is a bit easier I do like the diverse nature of 3.x/PF. PF in particular since I'm allowing a few 3rd party publishers for my players to use.

And yes I am absolutely looking forward to the RPG show. I also wonder if Green Ronin will publish the generic AGE system for consumers to purchase because once I heard that was what was going to be used I looked for one and could not find one.

They're supposed to be releasing it in the fall if memory serves. Green Ronin announced something on their site if memory serves

Half-Ork Scout Leader

I need to have a few more kids. I have 1 so far. People talk about having a bunch and fielding your own baseball team. I just wanna field my own tabletop group.

• Like 4

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Just to introduce myself on the thread.

I first played and DM'd Basic D&D Red box, then Star Wars D6. Eventually got around to 3rd Edition Dnd for a short while. I tried pathfinder but as an adult with 3 kids now, 3e and Pathfinder are a bit too crunchy for me. 5e is looking great, if only I could play or DM more regularly.

I have dabbled as a player in BESM and Shadowrun.

As for systems that I think would be fun to try: OVA, Golden Sky Stories, Ryuutama, Numenera or The Strange.

FYI Monks have a bit of RPG discussion on their courtyard forum for the Current (April 2015) challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62825-the-courtyard-monks-general-chat-thread/page-3#entry1463453 

• Like 1

Hello everbody :-) I'm a pen & paper rpg player since the late 80's / early 90's. My main systems have always been shadowrun and star wars. But I have tried a lot of Systems either as a player or gm. Anyone who is new to rpgs or interested and can't find anyone to answer their questions, feel free to contact me and ask.

Systems I played or gmed: Shadowrun(2,3,4), Star Wars (D6, D20, Edge of the Empire), Aeon Trinity, Mage, D&D, Call Of Cuthulu, Blue Planet, spycraft, Fantasy Craft, Eclipse Phase, Game of Thrones, Mutant Chronicles, Earthdawn, Vampire, Hunter, Transhuman Space, Gurps Horror

The only active group I have at the moment, is a "Game of Thrones" Group twice a month

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk

I am an old school pen and paper rper here (Red Box early 80s).  Here is the stuff somewhat currently being played/gmed:

Rifts - GM current campaign

D&D 5ed - GM current campaign

Shadowrun 5ed - current player

Other stuff I run at conventions (Mostly Origins, sometimes GenCon and other local cons)

Numenera

Hollow Earth Expedition

Call of Catthulu

Feng Shui 2 (just learning but plan to run next year at Origins)

Savage Worlds - played a few times, learning the system in anticipation of Savage - RIfts

Chaos Earth

Beyond the Supernatural 2

Twilight 2000/2013

Those are the current ones, there are a few dozen more that I ran back in the day or played once or twice.

• Like 2

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

Rifts - GM current campaign

Egads! I've not played/run Rifts in AGES ... ran it in Middle/High School as one of the first games I ever ran.

Looking back the Palladium system is really just the next step from AD&D 2 Edition ... with the added craziness of MDC and SDC 

Did you see that Palladium and Pinnacle are partnering up to do Rifts in Savage Worlds?

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Egads! I've not played/run Rifts in AGES ... ran it in Middle/High School as one of the first games I ever ran.

Looking back the Palladium system is really just the next step from AD&D 2 Edition ... with the added craziness of MDC and SDC 

Did you see that Palladium and Pinnacle are partnering up to do Rifts in Savage Worlds?

Totally agree, Kevin wrote the origional Palladium Fantasy fresh out of playing Advanced/2nd edition with changes he felt were missing, richer skills, active defense, etc. 

Yep, that is why I picked up Savage Worlds core book at Origins this year.  Sean Patrick Fannon is doing the treament, I am looking forward to the game.  Only played Savage a couple times but a number of people in our gaming group really like it so I figured I would give it a serious look.  And I did the KIckstarters by my good friend Jason Marker for Accursed and now Thin Blue Line so figured it was really time to learn the system.

And totally forgot to mention Breachworld by Jason Richards using mini-six system.  I really enjoyed the stuff he wrote for Palladium and Breachworld did not disappoint. 

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

I've been on the Savage Worlds train since about day 1 as I have all the releases cause I'm silly like that. It is my current go to RPG with D&D 5E and Fantasy AGE coming up close behind currently.

I played in a Savage Worlds Rifts conversion via play by post years ago, and the system really make the world feel better to me than the actual Palladium 

Half-Ork Scout Leader

I'm new, (started playing D&D with 5e last fall) but it's lots of fun. It always amazes me when people play multiple campaigns in multiple games/editions/rule sets. How do you keep it all straight?

I did do some non sexy, no adveture, chatroom RP back in the day.

Sinnah Saint, half-elf, lvl1 Assassin - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1.86 | CON 2.86 | WIS 2 | CHA 1.38 - Personal Blog

First 6-Week Challenge

I'm new, (started playing D&D with 5e last fall) but it's lots of fun. It always amazes me when people play multiple campaigns in multiple games/editions/rule sets. How do you keep it all straight?

I play a fair amount of play by posts games and am currently in 1 Fantasy, 2 Deadlands Reloaded, and 1 East Texas University game but all of them are Savage Worlds. Which means basically they're only slight differences between rules in each game. 

I am in a monthly D&D 5E game and have been playing 5E since they called the new system D&DNext (aka the open beta 2012)

As far as keeping the system straight ... it isn't that bad, as I tend to remember most of the things that are important to my character and sometimes I'll re-read rules before going to games. In my play by posts I just reference the PDFs of the rule books as needed. 

Half-Ork Scout Leader

The Deadlands game has been going since November 2009 and is wrapping up soon with over 15K posts.

Half-Ork Scout Leader

There's a Pathfinder Play by Post game on these very forums, about to complete a year since it first launched.

I have recently discovered (and fallen in love with) games using the Apocalypse engine, especially World Wide Wrestling RPG and Dungeon World. Unfortunately, I have been able to try out only the former and it was short-lived

Lvl 65 Multitasker