Forums are back in action! ×

Or at least you would be impressed if the gif would have stayed on.  Evidently, it said I posted a gif w/ formatting and I needed to remove formatting which I have no idea how to do.  It would have been the worlds smallest violin.  It's the thought that counts.  Not sure whats up with that.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

In the next couple weeks I'll buy a new router, storm door, and a fridge.  Which one should I put a bow on and call my Christmas present?

The fridge, obviously. it's where the beer and the ice cream is.

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Friday - It was a good day.  At school I'm doing a series of canned labs to teach the very basics of Newtonian physics. I talk with the class for a few minutes, hand out a toy, and they work through a sheet to learn about one of Newton's Laws.  It's super-easy to teach and the kids like it because they have a toy.  Yesterday they used ping-pong balls and suction cup poppers to learn about actio-reaction. I bought a gross of poppers and gave them one to keep when they handed in their lab sheet.  It's the first assignment that I've had a 100% completion rate. By the end of the day almost everyone had covered their face and neck with suction cup hickies. Sixth graders are stupidly funny. 

Lol, I love this!

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

In the next couple weeks I'll buy a new router, storm door, and a fridge.  Which one should I put a bow on and call my Christmas present?

The router (or modem): NF connections, otherwise all of them. Storm door because you are the safety person, and it gives you peace of mind (?), and the fridge for your treats and drinks.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 12/10/2016 at 9:54 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

The most important one is clearly the fridge, but how big of a bow are we talking? I'd hate to wrestle some gigantic bow onto the door or fridge. Since I'm all for path of least resistance when it comes to wrapping presents, I'd go with the router because that seems easiest. Plus, it would fit under the tree.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Plus the router is where we all live.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

If it helps at all, hubby got a coffee maker for Christmas, which we started using today. And I got new OCR shoes, which you know I had to start using last week already. Ok, ok, I bought myself a Home Free cd too, which will go under the tree.

My un-anticipated Christmas present to myself was some slightly pricey dental work, so I feel you on the "oh shit well ok i guess this needs to happen" "presents".  :]

I agree, slap a bow on the router and enjoy all the world wide web has to offer!

• Like 3

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On December 7, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Marauder said:

Happy Nerdiverssary!  

I missed you the first time around.  Thank you.

On December 10, 2016 at 2:39 PM, peelout said:

I'm sure you will be impressed by my posting of a gif over your excuse for not exercising.  I'm sure you will make up for it though by doubling your effort this weekend.

On December 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM, peelout said:

Or at least you would be impressed if the gif would have stayed on.  Evidently, it said I posted a gif w/ formatting and I needed to remove formatting which I have no idea how to do.  It would have been the worlds smallest violin.  It's the thought that counts.  Not sure whats up with that.

I thought I missed the gif because Tapatalk. I didn't mean it as an excuse, more of an example of how I'm a lazy procrastinator. It's really my biggest problem in life, along with being easily dis tractable and forgetful. 

On December 10, 2016 at 10:38 PM, DJtrippyT said:

The fridge, obviously. it's where the beer and the ice cream is.

I miss ice cream. Still, solid reasoning. 

On December 11, 2016 at 2:08 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Lol, I love this!

The router (or modem): NF connections, otherwise all of them. Storm door because you are the safety person, and it gives you peace of mind (?), and the fridge for your treats and drinks.

I gotta get them all... Luckily Christmas presents have already been bought or they'd be pretty sparse this year. 

3 hours ago, jstanlick said:

The most important one is clearly the fridge, but how big of a bow are we talking? I'd hate to wrestle some gigantic bow onto the door or fridge. Since I'm all for path of least resistance when it comes to wrapping presents, I'd go with the router because that seems easiest. Plus, it would fit under the tree.

Router it is.  I'm all about the easiest.

2 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Plus the router is where we all live.  

And what would I do without you :)

51 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

If it helps at all, hubby got a coffee maker for Christmas, which we started using today. And I got new OCR shoes, which you know I had to start using last week already. Ok, ok, I bought myself a Home Free cd too, which will go under the tree.

I got the router this weekend and started using it.  It helps, but not much. 

That was actually a trick question. A long time ago I started buying myself something and putting it under the tree for myself.  I don't think Mrs. Sloth has caught on yet.  Apparently I'm hard to shop for.  My mom always did well, but she went to the bike shop where the staff knew me, said,"I have $X, please pick out a present for Sloth."

This year I bought myself a bike multi-tool.  I'm a sucker for tools and haven't bought myself this one because I have already have multi-tools. 

TL218J02.jpg

• Like 6

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

13 minutes ago, shaar said:

My un-anticipated Christmas present to myself was some slightly pricey dental work, so I feel you on the "oh shit well ok i guess this needs to happen" "presents".  :]

I agree, slap a bow on the router and enjoy all the world wide web has to offer!

My internet friends agree, I have to have a router :).

It seems like something expensive always happens rift around Christmas time. 

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

We bought my BIL a vacuum for Christmas this year. Granted, it's a nice vacuum, but still. 

Re: present ideas - in my family, we all have Amazon wishlists. Once you get in the habit of using it, it comes in handy. I populate mine through the year as I find things I'd like to have and then just share it at Christmas. Also, you can "link" accounts, so my husband can order gifts for me via his Amazon account (with his e-mail), but get the benefits of Prime (which is under my e-mail). 

• Like 1

12/10/16 Saturday

It was a good day, which I really can't remember well.  At one point I went to Target, forgot why I went, wandered around and bought some trinkets for Christmas. I still can't remember why I went. I thought I saw Mrs. TML, but I didn't catch up to say Hi.  In the evening we all went to the mall and I bought the router. I also got more trinkets at the "If it isn't Japanese it's crap" store. 

Training: push ups, inverted rows, leg raises (I don't recall the rep scheme) + 45 minutes on the trainer watching The Empire Strikes Back. 

12/11/16 Sunday. 

It was a good day.  I started out shoveling about 6" (15 cm) of snow. Mrs Sloth was worried about my back so the whole family had to come out and help.  Which didn't actually decrease the amount of snow I moved or the time it took.

Slothboy, "waaaah..."

Slothgirl, "What? I was just throwing snowballs at him so he'd get used to it and start to like the snow."

After lunch I took Slothgirl and her friend sledding.  We weren't there long, but long enough that my legs were noodlie from going up the hill.

ETA: I got to push a car out of a snowbank. Which is my favorite winter activity. You get to feel manly and neighborly all at the same time. I also discovered the War Rig handles terribly in the snow. I had to back down two different blocks because I got stuck.

Finally I took Slothboy to the billion-dollar, tax-payer-funded sportsball stadium to see monster trucks.  It was awesome.  I've been waiting for that since he was born (Slothgirl most decidedly did not want to go).

Training: no formal training.  

12/12/16 Monday

It was not a good day.  I went negative in my head and didn't pull out of it. I got crabby because I'm tired of having to teach basic math skills so that my students can do the labs.  I got really crabby because I'm tired of being the de facto behavior dean for sixth grade. It's not in my job description, it's not what I'm trained for, and most importantly it detracts from the learning in my room.

Training: no, tight back from shoveling.  I did half-ass Yoga to loosen it up.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It was not a good day.  I went negative in my head and didn't pull out of it. I got crabby because I'm tired of having to teach basic math skills so that my students can do the labs.  I got really crabby because I'm tired of being the de facto behavior dean for sixth grade. It's not in my job description, it's not what I'm trained for, and most importantly it detracts from the learning in my room.

That stinks man. Mi Prometida is looking into switching districts and what you described are some of the reasons.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

ETA: I got to push a car out of a snowbank. Which is my favorite winter activity. You get to feel manly and neighborly all at the same time. I also discovered the War Rig handles terribly in the snow. I had to back down two different blocks because I got stuck.

Indeed.  Despite it's lack of snowy usefulness, if you got to use a vehicle known as "War Rig" to pull a car out of a snowbank, it might just be too much manliness.  Crazy things might start happening.

Sorry to hear about work.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Which is my favorite winter activity. You get to feel manly and neighborly all at the same time.

This is true. It does make you feel like you're a good human being. Although, I'm not gonna lie, when the weather is really bad its kinda tempting to sit by the fire and watch people struggle out the window :P

• Like 3

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I find the days I cannot remember are good days as well. ;)  

Sorry for the work struggle.  I think it's really hard to give and give and give.  Sadly, teens just aren't the kind to say thank you very often, but I appreciate all you do even from here. Think how lost those kids would be without you.  Hugs.

P.S.  I'm going to start putting things under the tree for myself too.  That is a stellar plan!!

• Like 3

Rangering since Sept 2015

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I got crabby because I'm tired of having to teach basic math skills so that my students can do the labs.  I got really crabby because I'm tired of being the de facto behavior dean for sixth grade. It's not in my job description, it's not what I'm trained for, and most importantly it detracts from the learning in my room.

As an engineer, my kids new that reaching their full potential in math was not an option.  I even took my daughter out of math for all of junior high and homeschooled that class because regular math would have been too easy and honors too difficult.  She was not excited when she found out I was spreading the curriculum over the entire year both years (including summer).  But she did learn math.  I used to tell my kids I invented math.  Show me a student who can't do basic math skills and 9 out of 10 times you can point to poor parenting.  Its the teachers job to explain the tools to the child, its the parents job to ensure the child learns the tools.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Unofficial dean of 6th grade does not sound like your job, and does sound depressing/exhausting/distracting. But thanks for doing it.

...and since I got way behind...belated happy Nerdversary. I love that you were able to sell your bike to someone who could really use it. And I was definitely voting for the fridge for Christmas. If you have any pennies left, splurge and fill it with bacon.

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This year I bought myself a bike multi-tool.  I'm a sucker for tools and haven't bought myself this one because I have already have multi-tools. 

I don't think hubby has this one. Like you, he has all kinds of tools and multi-tools, including for his bike. I also don't think I'll show him this photo. He is starting to eye my toolbox for space.

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

My mom always did well, but she went to the bike shop where the staff knew me, said,"I have $X, please pick out a present for Sloth."

Lol, my MIL takes the mountain bike that is with her, to the shop and tell them to put new brakes or this or that on, and that is his present when he does a race again in that area.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It was a good day.  I started out shoveling about 6" (15 cm) of snow. Mrs Sloth was worried about my back so the whole family had to come out and help.  Which didn't actually decrease the amount of snow I moved or the time it took.

Slothboy, "waaaah..."

Slothgirl, "What? I was just throwing snowballs at him so he'd get used to it and start to like the snow."

After lunch I took Slothgirl and her friend sledding.  We weren't there long, but long enough that my legs were noodlie from going up the hill.

Finally I took Slothboy to the billion-dollar, tax-payer-funded sportsball stadium to see monster trucks.  It was awesome.  I've been waiting for that since he was born (Slothgirl most decidedly did not want to go).

That sounds like such a fun, happy, family together time. Well maybe in the beginning not so much for Slothboy, but he got his treat in the end too.

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Sorry for the work struggle.  I think it's really hard to give and give and give.  Sadly, teens just aren't the kind to say thank you very often, but I appreciate all you do even from here. Think how lost those kids would be without you.  Hugs.

This ^^^. Wish there were more teachers like you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Finally I took Slothboy to the billion-dollar, tax-payer-funded sportsball stadium

Your sarcasm did not escape me.  Sports team owners make millions while tax payers are required to pay for their facilities.  In the words of our new exalted leader-elect "Sad".

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

On 12/13/2016 at 2:41 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

My mom always did well, but she went to the bike shop where the staff knew me, said,"I have $X, please pick out a present for Sloth."

This is actually genius

• Like 1

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

On 12/13/2016 at 10:25 PM, Xena said:

And I was definitely voting for the fridge for Christmas. If you have any pennies left, splurge and fill it with bacon.

This is also genius. 

Sloth's feed is filled with genius today. And hopefully also bacon.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

I think I'm back. NF wasn't working on Tapatalk and the web version kept logging me out after I posted.

A quick recap of the last few days. 

I finally got out of my head and things went good again. Your comments helped - thank you all - as did a random article that popped up on my FB about a meaningful life versus a happy life. My job is meaningful, but it doesn't always make me happy. 

Training: no time, no biking.  Some push ups and rows, enough for non-zero days, but no real workouts. The bummer is I didn't finish watching the trilogy before seeing Rogue One. 

Errata: 

I got the results of the survey the students took.  I scored better than I ever have before. 99% positive rating on the academic targets (the 1% was a student who is too knowledgable for my class and thinks it's too easy).  90% positive on the social-emotional questions (the lost 10% were  the questions "students respect the teacher" and "other students make it difficult to learn").

Today was the last day before break. I did Hot-glue-a-palooza in my room.  I got a bunch of spangles and gems and assorted stuff, gave them card stock, foam pieces, and jumbo craft sticks and gave them hot glue guns.  The kids enjoyed the heck out of it and it was a calm and orderly last day.  As expected at least one table of boys in each class challenged each other to see who could touch the burning tips the longest. Boys are stupid.  The first rule was don't burn yourself, so no one told me about it. :)

I have a side board that's been sitting in my basement for a couple of years waiting for repair and refinishing.  I'm going to tackle it like its my job over break.  

Tonight I see Rogue One. I'm so excited I could vomit. But I'll tell you what, if there are no Bothans in it there will be Hell to pay. 

• Like 10